Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Mar 4th, 2008 1:01pm Post subject: The Liar
Just realised we don't have a thread on "The Liar", apart from the audiobook. May I just kick off (may I compartmentalise? may I?) by asking if anyone believes it has similarities to John Fowles' The Magus?

whatonearth

Posted Wed Mar 5th, 2008 9:38pm Post subject: The Liar
Haven't read The Magus, but a thread about The Liar is most welcome. Plot-wise, although it was nice and clever at the end, I wasn't too impressed. HOWEVER, that is totally forgiven because it made me literally laugh out loud like no book has done before. I read it when I was on holiday in France last October, what a good week that was

that's all I have to offer for now I'm afraid...my brain is a bit mushy from all the Serious books I'm reading at the moment.

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Mar 5th, 2008 10:17pm Post subject: The Liar
It does, sort of... and they both have rather weak endings. I found them both to be a sort of cop-out in the end: everything is set up to dupe this one guy, who hasn't really sinned enough to be set up to be duped like he was. It's a bit like shooting a sparrow out of a cannon.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Mar 6th, 2008 6:51am Post subject: The Liar
You wouldn't happen to have a YouTube link for that? I bet it would look amazing!

whatonearth

Posted Thu Mar 6th, 2008 5:38pm Post subject: The Liar
As amazing as throwing a puppy off a cliff eh?

JSKanga84

Posted Thu Mar 6th, 2008 10:31pm Post subject: The Liar
I read this not too long ago while I was sick. Definitely worth the day in bed to read it, too. Although I haven't yet read Moab, I could see his life all over the place, but that's a common thing with first novels. Write what you know, what you see every day...
Sound familiar?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 7:03am Post subject: The Liar
My first novel. "Chapter One: I have seen him buying vegetables."

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 1:38pm Post subject: The Liar
I've never heard of The Magus. I have read and enjoyed The Liar though. I liked how it kept jumping from the past to the present and it was interesting seeing elements from Stephen's life, from Moab in there.

Assuming direct control...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Mar 7th, 2008 7:42pm Post subject: The Liar
Also, I don't know if the Magus was Fowles' first effort, but I think, Axmxz, that it's an understandable first novel type of ending for both writers. Certainly Steven's improved since then (I guess, the only other one I've read is The Hippopotamus, but I have The Stars' Tennis Balls so I'll be getting round to it).

MusicalMaven

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 2:18pm Post subject: The Liar
I think what makes this most similar to Fowles is what makes first coming-of-age novels so similar: the exploration of sexuality, the vibrant sense of place, the youthful sense that THIS is the most important moment in their lives. Now that's not to say I don't like The Liar - I do. It's a million times better than any attempts at coming-of-age novels most have made. But I think there are common threads - call it the arrogance of youth , or the memories of youth, certainly - that resonnate.

Consider a cinematic example: How similar are The Emperor's Club, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, Dead Poets Society, Mona Lisa Smile, and even To Sir With Love? Yes, different situations (and some remarkable performances), but in the end, they all seem to vibrate with the same themes, and the same longing for a simpler time.

My one criticism of this book lies in the assumption that all of his readers are public school boys; as a middle-aged American woman, I found some of the dialogue simply unreachable - that is, until I sent passages to a friend who was a public school boy around the same time, who translated them for me. I know that you want your readers to get a sense of place through language as well - after all, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn wouldn't be nearly as amazing is Twain hadn't used such vibrant dialectal language - but readers do need signposts to help them along the way. Fortunately, Stephen seems to have learned this quickly, and subsequent novels don't make the same mistake. Phew!

karen m

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 2:09am Post subject: The Liar
i really enjoyed moab and kept making comparisons with the liar but i find with any book that i rush through the first time so have to read it again to actually understand it. it's quite blunt but extremely funny in places but i did get slightly lost but that's probably just me being me

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Apr 12th, 2008 3:49am Post subject: The Liar
Hey, the Stars' Tennis Balls doesn't count - it's not an original story of his. The Hippopotamus had a pretty solid ending. Making History, I think, was far too ambitious in scope, and he didn't pull it off that well: it's a good book and all, but the impact isn't all that... impacty.

Endings are hard. Endings are the hardest bloody part. The beginning is easy. The middle is moderately difficult. But thew end can just murder you... I'm writing my first novel, and I'm pretty much obsessing over two things: the ending and the characters' backstories. Because the ending has to be satisfying, and punchy, and wrap things up, and magnify what needs be magnified, and leave the reader both satisfied and wanting more of the same. And the backstories determine pretty much everything about the way the characters react to life.

darjeelingdarling

Posted Sun Jun 1st, 2008 9:45pm Post subject: The Liar
I thought the end was brilliant! But the twenty-page cricket match? What happened? I don't know anything about cricket, it made no sense to me what so ever. Was there any point to it, anyway? If it was in some way important, could someone please explain?

Hope

Member *

Posted Mon Jun 23rd, 2008 9:21am Post subject: The Liar
I love The Liar - it's one of those books that I find, after reading a few times, I can just sort of dip into and enjoy.
I recommended it to a few friends and they have enjoyed it too, which is nice.

Prowl's Gal

Posted Sun Dec 28th, 2008 8:12pm Post subject: The Liar
I read the Liar but i couldnt quite understand it.Why did it keep flipping back and forth between the story about Adrian and the people who arnt named but are described by their clothes?
Can someone please explain that to me.