Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Ernest Worthing

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 8:49pm Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
I recently acquired a copy of The Liar in audiobook format, and I was relatively disappointed by it. Having grown to love the book itself after endless readings, I thought that listening to Stephen reading it would do nothing other than add to the experience. However, when I listened to it, I was shocked by one thing: it is abridged! Some of my favourite scenes from the book were left out, which is, of course, enough to disappoint anybody. The reading itself is very good, as one would expect, and it is refreshing to listen to it being read so colourfully, but the gaps did nothing but leave a slight feeling of emptiness, ultimately.

Have I got an unfortunate copy, or is an unabridged version not in existance?

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 7:57am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
amazon offers an unabriged version.

Ernest Worthing

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 5:15pm Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
Thanks for the link, I never thought to check Amazon, rather stupidly!

whattocallmyself

Posted Fri Jun 29th, 2007 12:57pm Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
I´ve got the supposedly unabridged version, but I seem to be missing half the book anyway.

never trust a download

Onwards and Upwards!

James

Posted Wed Jul 4th, 2007 7:35am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
Jesus Christ! I won't mention any names, but you know who you are, and you surprise me. By 'acquired' I suppose you mean downloaded from the Net, and by ‘abridged’ I suppose you mean he left a few things to the imagination? So you got the audio book free and you’re complaining? Has it not occurred to you to that Stephen may have thought his original writing a bit too long (you know how self-critical he is)? I absolutely agree with you in that the book is better than the obviously abridged version in audio format. But surely the fact that it is read so beautifully and by the man himself negates the fact that it is abridged. You said yourself that it was read ‘colourfully’ so why are you complaining? If all you wanted to know is ‘where can I get an unabridged copy of The Liar in audio book format?’ why didn’t you ask thusly?

trouser material

Posted Wed Jul 4th, 2007 8:07pm Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
Jesus Christ! I won't mention any names, but you know who you are, and you surprise me. By 'acquired' I suppose you mean downloaded from the Net, and by ‘abridged’ I suppose you mean he left a few things to the imagination? So you got the audio book free and you’re complaining? Has it not occurred to you to that Stephen may have thought his original writing a bit too long (you know how self-critical he is)? I absolutely agree with you in that the book is better than the obviously abridged version in audio format. But surely the fact that it is read so beautifully and by the man himself negates the fact that it is abridged. You said yourself that it was read ‘colourfully’ so why are you complaining? If all you wanted to know is ‘where can I get an unabridged copy of The Liar in audio book format?’ why didn’t you ask thusly?
Thusly? Oh my word, what a cock.

James

Posted Sat Jul 7th, 2007 3:28am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
Thank you for your amazingly witty and well thought out criticism of my post. I'll be sure to use words of one syllable in the futire. How about 'thus' (which means 'in this way', just to save you having to go to your dictionary, if you have one, to look it up).

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Jul 7th, 2007 3:33am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
James, pardon my French, but what crawled up your ass and died? You've been on everyone's case from the get-go.

James

Posted Tue Jul 10th, 2007 10:02am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
!

WorldOfDrivel

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 12:20am Post subject: The Liar (Audiobook)
I don't see any complaining, I see a question whether there are unabridged as opposed to unabridged versions of this audio book, which the TS may or may not have acquired legally.

As for the subject on hand, I haven't compared the two yet, but I haven't come across any obvious lacunas in the audio book yet.