Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

IdeaCollector

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 12:16am Post subject: The Liar
Oooo I got this book for Christmas and I am exceedingly excited to read it

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TheElephant

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 1:22pm Post subject: The Liar
I got it for Christmas too.

pretty sure I read it years ago, but looking forward to another go.

M-y-s-t-e-r-y

Posted Wed Dec 31st, 2008 12:11pm Post subject: The Liar
Same. Fantastic read- keeps me from eating too many christmas leftovers and chocolate boxes, anyway!

Veg Chick

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 11:33pm Post subject: The Liar
Got it for Christmas too!!!

Finally got to finish it today. Really enjoyed it. I read Moab first so could see the similarities. I'll admit I was over half way through before I realised it was swapping time frames.

Found this especially enjoyable as I live not far from Cambridge so every time there was a reference I recogninsed I went a bit

And any book that contains the phrase 'Tish and hiccups'... Well what can you say to that really

OK so I clearly don't have a great grasp of what makes a literary masterpeice but I do know what I enjoy and The Liar ticked all the boxes fro me.

I am nothing

Ewan?

Posted Tue Jan 6th, 2009 2:02pm Post subject: The Liar
One of the characters in the book has the surname 'Hesketh-Harvey', can one assume that this person is named after Kit Hesketh-Harvey? The former Cambridge Footlighter and writer of 80's sitcom "You rang ma Lord"? Anyone know?

Laura Lovejoy

Posted Mon Jan 26th, 2009 8:23pm Post subject: The Liar
I thought The Liar was quite rude, actually.. Yes, quite filthy but very enjoyable and very Stephen.
I highly recommend it!

PamJH

Posted Tue Feb 3rd, 2009 4:01am Post subject: The Liar
I'm alternating between Paperweight and Liar and I have to hurry because they're due back at the library on Friday.

It's fun to note the similarities between both books. I also detect a lot of Moab in there. Some of the public school parts are hard for me to grasp, but maybe middle-aged American women weren't his target audience. Hard to believe, isn't it?

I do like how irreverent these boys are, although I might be horrified if I had to listen to it first-hand. But that's what has made it a fun read so far. It seems like a good first attempt at a coming-of-age novel.

I've made a start on Moab, too, but that's not due back until a week from Wednesday, so I should be all right to finish it.

PamJH

Posted Thu Feb 5th, 2009 4:23am Post subject: The Liar
Finished "The Liar" today. I'll just say I'm glad it ended the way it did.

The cricket match? I don't know the first thing about cricket (well, I do know a bat is used) so that part was a bit hard to understand, but all in all, a good first novel.

Tinscvil

Posted Sun Feb 15th, 2009 5:45pm Post subject: The Liar
I read the Liar but i couldnt quite understand it.Why did it keep flipping back and forth between the story about Adrian and the people who arnt named but are described by their clothes?
Can someone please explain that to me.

Hi,

I guess it's just a literary device... but I've to admit I lost track several times too. It even took me a while to realise the narrative was not linear. I have to say I didn't read the book, but only listened to the audiobook. I found myself "rewinding" over and over - and now that I finished it, I'm looking forward to listening again from the beginning.

As for the clothes... The guy who get's killed in the opening scene is described as "a Fame shirt" ( That;s what I heard - again, I don't have a paper version) and later as "a blue shirt". This one got me confused for a while, too.

Still, highly enjoyable. When a story can be understood inmediately ( Dan Brown and the like) I feel patronized---so I mustn't complain when it takes a little more effort.

Btw excuse my English; I'm no native speaker.

Quantum Mechanic

Posted Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 9:14pm Post subject: The Liar
This is definitely my favourite of his books. ('cept for Moab)

I loved the explanation at the end and the overall utterly and completely, ridiculously, magnificently embarrassing scene in which Adrian thought the machine was actually working.

You know what's terrible?

I found myself relating way too much with Adrian and his compulsive lying.

See signature, I guess...

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 3:48am Post subject: The Liar
This is definitely my favourite of his books. ('cept for Moab)

I loved the explanation at the end and the overall utterly and completely, ridiculously, magnificently embarrassing scene in which Adrian thought the machine was actually working.

You know what's terrible?

I found myself relating way too much with Adrian and his compulsive lying.

See signature, I guess...

I found myself wanting Adrian to get away with his lying just to see what would happen.

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 7:27am Post subject: The Liar
hmmmm I've just finished this tonight when I had many more important things to be doing. it has taken me a bit of time, but I haven't got my first courtesy notice from the library which means I actually moved through it pretty well. I had to renew Moab. (I'd check the date stamp on The Liar but when I finished it I got excited and threw it across the room...this is normal behavior for me, do not be alarmed...)

I thought it was quite enjoyable. I'm glad I read it, and had it been written by the weird girl across the hall who I don't even know I'm fairly certain I would have felt the same. I often forgot who the author was because I was so concerned with the characters.

as with other who have posted here I was a bit baffled by the language at times. Moab helped me understand the public school talk. I don't know German at all so the dialogue in that language was lost on me. I generally have an adequate vocabulary (a fantastic one if college entrance exams are to be believed... ) but I had to look up so many words to get through the book! who is the target audience with enough information about public schools, other languages, and obscure English words!?

speaking of Moab, I could not help but play the "spot the connection to Moab and thereby to our dear author's life!" game. it was a bit distracting at times, but on the other hand I'm sure it happens in most writing, but I just haven't read the proper autobiography, or more likely it has never been written.

I think the story itself was fun. I never really saw the clothing people come together and make sense with the rest of the story, although I'm sure I could go back and make it happen now. I am very very very narrowly read, and I rarely see movies either, so I can't make any legitimate textual comparisons.

I loved everything with Cartwright, and the whole story with him and Trotter and all of that. I was struck by Cartwright getting drunk. I was extremely sorry about Trotter. the manuscript and all of that counts in my enjoyment. I loved the action of Bollocks! I wish we could have seen more of that. I miss Adrian's roommate from there, for example. in fact, I miss both of his roommates.

if I get up early I'll return this to the library immediately and get out my next Fry book. going in order. read while I eat. if anyone else does this in the future they'll know what my favorite foods are, as well as that I'm a huge slob!

sockdolager.

PamJH

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 12:27pm Post subject: The Liar
I'm quite a bit older than you, exoskeleton, and I had to keep my dictionary at the ready when I read the Liar and Moab, but there are books that require I do that. I have a good working vocabulary, too, but there are some words we don't use in everyday conversation. But it's fun to find new ones, isn't it? I just wish I'd get a chance to use them.

I enjoyed the book, too. I had a tough time remembering which events were in Moab and which were in The Liar.

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Apr 27th, 2009 2:29pm Post subject: The Liar
I'm quite a bit older than you, exoskeleton, and I had to keep my dictionary at the ready when I read the Liar and Moab, but there are books that require I do that. I have a good working vocabulary, too, but there are some words we don't use in everyday conversation. But it's fun to find new ones, isn't it? I just wish I'd get a chance to use them.

that's quite true! I wrote a bit about how I appreciated stretching my vocabulary but I seem to have taken it out. (I knew the post would be warped by that avatar so I wanted to be relatively brief and I still didn't succeed. ha..)

I think my favorite terms from yesterday were "ovine" and "egress" mostly because they were already in my vocabulary but I hadn't seen them in so long I forgot what they meant! egress is especially embarrassing...but it's good to be reminded in book form when on one is watching.
the made-up words were a bit bothersome because I would be excited, like I had learned something new, but really it's just a mix of some ancient roots, prefixes, and suffixes thrown together to make something new. again actually quite instructive, but still slowing me down a bit.

there were good synonyms for "simple trick" and also coming together/connecting. I the word for "sleight of hand," was prestidigitation.
(I looked up all these words on Twitter too and it looks like some people actually use them in their tweets!)

sockdolager.

mrjb3

Posted Fri May 1st, 2009 12:49pm Post subject: The Liar
Just bought it this second. Haven't opened it yet...

Is it good?!