Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

exoskeleton

Posted Sun May 10th, 2009 4:21am Post subject: The Liar
^yes, quite good!

I happened to bop over to Stephen's page at IMDb and noticed that The Liar is listed as some project for 2010. anyone got a premium account and an interest in accessing further info about this? I know someone a long time ago bought the film rights to this movie, but I am not sure how that info came to be in my head.

either way assuming that this is supposed to be a film or TV film or something with actors I'm going to be a cranky book reader and say "my mental pictures! they are precious!" X-D

sockdolager.

Midsomerlover

Posted Thu May 14th, 2009 7:27pm Post subject: The Liar
^yes, quite good!

I happened to bop over to Stephen's page at IMDb and noticed that The Liar is listed as some project for 2010. anyone got a premium account and an interest in accessing further info about this? I know someone a long time ago bought the film rights to this movie, but I am not sure how that info came to be in my head.

either way assuming that this is supposed to be a film or TV film or something with actors I'm going to be a cranky book reader and say "my mental pictures! they are precious!" X-D

Yes I noticed that too! I'd rather see Making History being made into a movie bit we can't have it all. I'm really curious about this. Will Stephen write the screenplay for this, do you reckon?

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

ImeldaLumos

Posted Fri May 15th, 2009 8:08am Post subject: The Liar
One of my favourite books, although the first time you read, it was quite an agony to understand properly. Probably, because I wasn't very used then, to reading such book with a lot of questioning of what's real and not, when are we decieved by it and when are we offered truth.
I read it a second time and it brought a lot more clarity.
The cricket match was very incomprehensible, although I tried to put all my brain cells in the busy area of the brain, and it did make a little more sense, after I've read a bit of this mysterious and vastly blurry sport.
I found the character of Donald Trefusis completely inspiring in his way of using the language and the eccentric manners which was frequently evoked in his mouth and other living part of his. The plot was an interesting insight in a self-centered mind - including not the tightest grip around reality. As most liars have, after some time has went by.
I read it in both Swedish and English, but reading a Fry book translated is quite useless - all the pleasures which can only be created with the English tool of language vanished with the plain and complicated structure that Swedish brings.
Stephen wrote an exclusive preface to the Swedish edition, saying that he understood that the Cricket part would be difficult to understand, like Swedish herring tradition. So, I suppose, he can be forgiven those pages shrouded in wickets, bowls and Howzat.
Simply, a book to enjoy.

Bilan

Posted Thu Dec 3rd, 2009 7:23am Post subject: The Liar

This is the third book by Stephen Fry I've got. I only bought it yesterday, but I am so excited.
I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the other two I've read - The Hippopotamus and Making History.
Making History is superb - Fry has such a wonderful way with words, and the ideas which underpin this are thought provoking and so eloquently expressed.
The Hippopotamus I was a bit unsure of initially. I enjoyed it, although I was squirming in my seat when I read the perhaps-too-detailed part of bestiality, but was unsure. However, the more I think about it, the more I adore it. A wonderful book.
Hence, I am very excited to read The Liar.

olivertWisted

Posted Wed Jul 14th, 2010 4:22pm Post subject: The Liar

Adore it!!! Best beloved scene - "Trefusis affair".

This is your home now, Joe.

Spooner

Posted Wed Jul 28th, 2010 9:50pm Post subject: The Liar

I've just started reading it yesterday, I'm about halfway through now. It's the first book by our beloved mr. Fry that I'm reading (I'm young, plenty of time still) and I absolutely love it, I really can't put it down. I don't read a lot of modern literature, but I just love the characters, and the seeming nonchalance of the style - lots of contemporary works come off like the writer tried too hard. The book is honest without ever getting overly sentimental. It's really been a beautiful book so far.

roman m

Posted Fri Aug 20th, 2010 4:44am Post subject: The Liar

God, I love this book! I miss Adrian.

Ivannah

Posted Mon Jan 17th, 2011 11:00pm Post subject: The Liar

I had the luck of reading the book in English, since any kind of Fry's books is sadly, not available in Croatia.

Very much enjoyed the issue, it's definitely one of my favorite books so far. Simply amazing.

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Wed Jan 26th, 2011 6:16am Post subject: The Liar

Yesterday I finished "The Liar".
Yes, it's stupid to read this one not first since it's the first novel Fry wrote.

In a nutshell (because I don't have much time at the moment *g*) and to be honest: it's a very fine novel with lovable characters (especially Adrian and Trefusis), lots of enjoyable chapters, an amusing and creative writing style and fun but it's also really confusing. I didn't always have an easy time to check out what's actually going on (or where or when).
Or I'm just saying that because I was reading "Making history" before "The Liar" and although it also has a complex story it was always clear.

Still: great to read, I still enjoyed it

I have been busy the last 1 1/2 weeks but I hope that I soon will have time to make some fanart.

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

gemini

Posted Wed Jan 26th, 2011 5:30pm Post subject: The Liar

Tabascofanatikerin said:
I have been busy the last 1 1/2 weeks but I hope that I soon will have time to make some fanart.

Now you have me drooling like one of Pavlow's dogs!

And yes, reading The Liar for the first time was confusing, but I read it a second time and when you know from the beginning where all this is leading to, it's starting to make more sense.

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Tue Feb 1st, 2011 9:52pm Post subject: The Liar

Hmmm....hold on!
I'm so keen on doing "The Liar" fanart (hell, I still have a "Making History" fanart in the pipe line) but unfortunately I haven't had time for two weeks for my creative projects

I hope this will change soon when I hopefully can have a room nearer to my current job. Less time for travelling = more time for creating =)

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Mon Feb 7th, 2011 9:54pm Post subject: The Liar

Sorry for double posting!
But here it is: MY personal version of Donald Trefusis (and please don't be that shocked):

NO, this is NOT a human form of the flying Spaghetti Monster!
I was inspired by real-life people somehow connected with teaching and on the other hand I could not get this image out of my head.
Drawing him anyhow different would be...well, blasphemy against my fantasy

So if you don't like my version that's fine but that's how he looks like in my fantasy. I'd love to make some face expressions like with the "Making history" characters.

Actually I was also drawing Adrian next to him but I was unhappy with the result so I cut him out and will try again next time. At least there are some sketches in my scrapbook (how he looks with 15, while his time when he sells his body, as an adult and so on).

And Hugo? Well, let's say I always thought he would look at least very similar to Jude Law in "Wilde"

gemini

Posted Fri Feb 11th, 2011 4:57pm Post subject: The Liar

Wow. He looks - young. You were very kind to him in that respect!
Adrian in my head looks, unsurprisingly, very much like a young Mr Fry himself. And as for Hugo, well, Jude Law isn't a bad choice.

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Fri Feb 11th, 2011 9:39pm Post subject: The Liar

gemini said:
Wow. He looks - young. You were very kind to him in that respect!
Adrian in my head looks, unsurprisingly, very much like a young Mr Fry himself. And as for Hugo, well, Jude Law isn't a bad choice.

Oh geez...I didn't mean it!
I actually know that he's not that young but maybe his smile makes him younger (yes, lousy try).

Adrian? I was inspired by images of the young Stephen Fry, yes. But I still did want to make him a new personality.
I hope I can show you what I mean soon (yes, still busy)