Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Jul 18th, 2007 11:32pm Post subject: The Muppets
I've been celebrating being back online by splurging my time watching The Muppets on youtube after John Steed mentioned one of my favourite sketches on the Games board. I was addicted to this show when I was a child and watching the show again made me realise just how good it was. Jim Henson was a marvel. I loved his work whether it was The Muppets, Seseme Street, Fraggle Rock, Muppet Babies, The Storyteller, Dark Crystal or Labyrinth. It was all great stuff.

Here are some (yeah there's a lot I know!) of my favourite sketches from The Muppet Show, click away and enjoy:

Dancing Cheese

Down Memory Lane

Turn The World Around

For What It's Worth

Mahnahmahnah!

Java - OMG this one is soooo cute! ^_^

Marvin Suggs and his Muppetballs

Marvin Suggs - Witchdoctor

Swedish Chef collection

Swedish Chef - Chicken in a basket

Swedish Chef - Meatballs

Swedish Chef - Making a cake

Fozzie joins Rowlf on the piano

I Got Rhythm

Rowlf's Poem

Pour Elise

I've Got You Under My Skin

Staying Alive

School's Out

Sax and Violence

Beaker - Mimi

Dr Bunsen Honeydew - Gorilla Detector

Dr Bunsen Honeydew - Banana Sharpener

Veternarian's Hospital

Veternarian's Hospital - Kermit's been exposed to overacting

John Cleese as a pirate in space!

I wish I could find more of the Cole Porter and Frank Sinatra songs they did.

BONUS:

The Rainbow Connection

SPECIAL BONUS:

Compilation of Jim Henson references in Family Guy - There's so many!

Assuming direct control...

mila

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 12:01am Post subject: The Muppets
Too bad Stephen was never a guest on the old Muppet Show... the AQ (Adorableness Quotient) would've been off the charts!

He could have stern debates with Sam the American Eagle... help Dr Honeydew and Beaker with some science experiments... and deliver tart, convoluted and brilliant put-downs every time Waldorf & Statler tried to heckle him.

Who was the librarian on Sesame Street? I can never remember.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 12:03am Post subject: The Muppets
OMG that would've been soo cool mila! Oh I wish it was true now. Stephen would've been so adorable on it. ^_^

mila

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 12:44am Post subject: The Muppets
Do you remember the Vincent Price episode? The ghost sketch and the talking house scared me... I was only 5 or 6 when the show aired. (Loved Stephen's Vincent Price impression on QI... "Could you pass the mustard, please?" LOL!)

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 9:20am Post subject: The Muppets
Have you found the super sweet Gonzo song?

I always thought this version of Time In A Bottle was better than the original.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 6:49pm Post subject: The Muppets
Do you remember the Vincent Price episode? The ghost sketch and the talking house scared me... I was only 5 or 6 when the show aired. (Loved Stephen's Vincent Price impression on QI... "Could you pass the mustard, please?" LOL!)

I remember that episode! I've still got the sketch where Vincent Price sings that You've Got A Friend song with a bunch of ghosts and ghouls. Very cool.

Stephen's impression on QI was great too and I loved how he went all fanboy talking about Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee and Vincent Price doing impressions of them all.

Have you found the super sweet Gonzo song?

I always thought this version of Time In A Bottle was better than the original.

No I haven't managed to find it yet. I've looked and looked.

Time in a Bottle - lovely performance.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 7:09pm Post subject: The Muppets
Seen this?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Jul 19th, 2007 9:53pm Post subject: The Muppets
That's cool. And Sesame Street and all. I loved Sesame Street. I wonder who else has been on it?

*sigh* I miss Sesame Street. They don't do it anymore, instead they do Play with Me Sesame which just isn't the same and nowhere near as good.

ysabella

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 12:47am Post subject: The Muppets
Yay Muppets! In fact they are part of how I got to know my husband. Muppets and light-bulb jokes.

They had Sesame Street in the Netherlands, Sesamstraat. Their Big Bird was different, blue and named Pino. My husband often recites the Bert & Ernie "banana in the ear" routine in Dutch.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Jul 20th, 2007 9:02am Post subject: The Muppets
I have the season 1 DVD set and am still amazed that no more seasons have been forthcoming so far, at least not in region 2. Watching the Muppets it never ceases to amaze me what a brilliant and original show it was. I never understood why the original series ended as they couldn't possibly have run out of ideas.
One thing slightly irritates me today. In the "making of" featurette on "The Muppet Christmas Carol" DVD they explained that, because Jim Henson identified with him, Rowlf the dog will no longer have any dialogue.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Jul 21st, 2007 9:19pm Post subject: The Muppets
Anyone remember the Sesame Street film Follow That Bird where Big Bird was taken away and put with foster parents and then he ran away and was kidnapped by some circus guys who painted him blue than Big Bird cried? :'(

One thing slightly irritates me today. In the "making of" featurette on "The Muppet Christmas Carol" DVD they explained that, because Jim Henson identified with him, Rowlf the dog will no longer have any dialogue.

What?! Eh?! What?! First I've heard of this. That sucks. Rowlf is one my favourite Muppets - along with Gonzo and Fozzie. :'( ROWLF!!!!

Monday's Child

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 12:29am Post subject: The Muppets
I *heart* the Swedish Chef

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 12:34am Post subject: The Muppets
Swedish Chef is ace!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 9:59am Post subject: The Muppets
You know those ads in magazines with enormous lists of ringtones? The only time I was ever tempted to download one was when I saw 'Swedish Chef Song'. Unfortunately I had no polyphonic phone at that time.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 12:29pm Post subject: The Muppets
Ever seen this, amyl?