Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Jan 8th, 2012 12:50am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Nice to see so many new people. Welcome back lostforwords.
Mmmm, you had me at chocolate, Colour. Welcome to the forum.
Hi Ayesha, Stephen is indeed a welcome breath of fresh air. Hope to see you on the board.
*waves* Hi Wiwiel, it's very nice to have another Russian member on the forum. Stephen seems to be quite popular over there.

Inksplattered

Posted Sun Jan 8th, 2012 5:59pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hello. Remember me? I popped up several months ago, made a lot of posts, then promptly dissappeared again.

Well, I'm back now, and I hope to be sticking around for longer.

I'm 14, female, and an aspiring writer. Nice to meet you all.

"Cashew nuts. Macedamia nuts. Peanuts. If peas have nuts, why don't carrots?" My History teacher.

NomdePlume

Posted Tue Jan 10th, 2012 12:38pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Well said..

So, as some might have read in my thread 'A Little Bit of an 'Introduction", I am new to the site, and should like to get to know you all better. The faster the acquaintance, the faster I can get around to knowing just how to tease and otherwise poke fun at each of you in the most innocent way possible.

Thus, until then, I'll just sit here quietly, muttering and giggling to myself until someone takes notice. Tootle-Pip, All.

Good Night, Good Luck & Good Riddance.

XH558

Posted Fri Jan 13th, 2012 3:32pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hello fellow Fry admirers
You know you are old when, registering your year of birth on a forum, you have to hold the button down for ages to get to yours

I am a resident of Cornwall now but was born and brought up in Shropshire/Herefordshire - inside I suppose still a true 'Shropshire Lad'- although curiously drawn more to the River Severn than its county having lived very near it all of my childhood.

I was lucky enough to attend a grammar school which the headmaster ran as I think a public school might have been. (I suspect he was a frustrated public school head ) It was all boys - full uniform including blazers, caps and shiny shoes at all times - all masters wearing full mortar board (carried)and gown about the school - prefects very much to be looked up too and respected - very strong emphasis on unquestioning discipline etc etc
It was at this school that we studied - compulsorily - latin. Using the textbook 'Principia' written by our very own headmaster a C.W.E Pecket - known always as 'The CWEP'.
I was useless at latin, and indeed any language other than my own, but what it's study gave me was a deep and lifelong interest in our language's words, their etymology and our grammar.

This leads me to my fascination with Stephen - his grasp, use and knowledge of our language enthralls me and I am drawn to his books and writings like a wasp to sugar - I enjoy listening to him on radio and seeing him on TV and have a deep admiration for him and the way he just 'is'....

Oh ... why XH558 ... my other passion is aircraft - especially of a certain vintage - and this one in particular ... http://www.tvoc.co.uk

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Jan 15th, 2012 4:15pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Welcome back inksplattered.
And I am happy to welcome you again in this thread NomdePlume.
Hello, XH558, you will find many admirers of Stephen for all kinds of reasons here on the forum. Hope to see you around.

Desideria

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2012 8:45pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Well, hello.

I've been here for a couple of weeks, reading, browsing, trying to get a feel for this place, and now I think the time has come to say "hi" to you all.

I'm one of those unfortunate people to be born in August (on the 19th) when no one's ever around to party because everyone's on holiday, when all theatres are closed and when flowers are difficult to come by. I work as full-time PA to three lawyers and also as a part-time translator in a law firm. I'm owned by a very loud tom cat named Figo and a sweet little, if quite obese, female cat named Olivia. If you see strange typos in my posts it's usually because Figo has stepped on the keyboard. Yeah, right.

What else? I love books and music, I love to travel and to see foreign places. My most favourite places on earth are Finland and Japan. Go to Kyoto's Kiyo-mizu dera at sunset, and it will make you cry.

I've been a fan of the person this forum is about for about 20 years now. First time I saw him was in "Peter's Friends", and I remember that I felt that this guy had to be the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. I tried to find out more about him but it proved difficult because there was no internet at that time, or at least it was not accessible to me. I knew that he was also a writer so I had to rely on my favourite book store where I worked for a while after I had finished school. Needless to say, he had a huge impact on my life. Well, truth to be said, he still has. I owe him a lot.

English is not my first language, so please bear with me when you find strange expressions and weird grammar mistakes in the stuff I type. See you.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

ginj

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 18th, 2012 1:31pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hi Desideria, your English is perfect. Yes, Stephen was most appealing in Peter's Friends, wasn't he? Mmm-mmm. Twenty years is a long time to be such a fan, and I'm glad you finally found your way to the forum. Look forward to seeing you around.

Desideria

Posted Thu Apr 19th, 2012 7:14pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hi ginj, thank you for the lovely welcome. I don't know why I never considered to properly look for Mr. Fry on the internet. I had gotten used to the books and his occasional appearance on TV, and it never occurred to me that I could do some more detailed research. Only when I read "The Fry Chronicles" and after having had a rather spectacular dream in the course of that reading experience did I decide to see what's going on in the world wide web. And there he was together with a lovely website and his tweets and his blogs and his fluffiness. Ah well.

P.S.: I'm glad he just tweeted. I was on a withdrawal and also a little bit concerned.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Thu Apr 19th, 2012 8:03pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Desideria

Posted Fri Apr 20th, 2012 4:34pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

You people make me blush. I always feel like an impostor when I speak/write English.

I'm not from Italy, unfortunately. I chose my name because of its beautiful and musical sound and its Latin origin (desiderium = desire). I come from a very silly country, an unimportant little hell hole. *sigh* Let's just pretend I'm from Denmark, which isn't true but close enough. And Danes are lovely people.

Russia is a great country - vast and beautiful, fascinating and rough. I've been to St. Petersburg once where I lived with a wonderful Russian family as some kind of an exchange student. The grandmother always made me eat tons and tons of rich food because she had survived the siege of St. Petersburg (well, Leningrad at that time) during which she almost starved to death so she never allowed a hungry soul in her home.

@AvenidaMK on Twitter

inckognito

Inactive

Posted Fri Apr 20th, 2012 5:59pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Jemstein123

Posted Sat May 5th, 2012 7:57pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hello, I'm 22 from North East England, Stockton On Tees.
I have started to read The Fry Chronicles and it is most intriguing.
I've been a fan since Blackadder and my much loved comedy series Abit of Fry & Laurie, I'm also a House MD fan too!
I'm involved in an adult comedy sketch group and wish to take our ideas and sketches up to the Edinburgh fringe. I also write & sometimes preform poetry mainly at the most morbid fashion.
I sometimes get crazy ideas like wanting to write a guidebook for extremely awkward individuals and attempt to write short stories about my dreams which are sometimes most odd.
I would talk about my music taste but you may not be interested.
Jem
x

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue May 8th, 2012 3:23am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hi Jem, welcome to the forum. Good luck at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Very exciting!

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue May 8th, 2012 3:23am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hi Jem, welcome to the forum. Good luck at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Very exciting!

Lady Estelle

Posted Mon May 21st, 2012 5:48am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Hello to all fellow followers of the Fantastic Mr. Fry,
I am somewhat slow into finding this place, so forgive the lateness. I'm normally not one to simply google around to see what happens. Fortunately, being in rather a dull mood today, I thought I'd try and goodness me... What a magical land I have stumbled upon. It is magical and amazing to see that there is a place for me to run to. I hope to spend many an hour on here, chatting to wonderful people.