Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Canzonett

Posted Sat Dec 30th, 2006 11:40am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
When one is working with medieval or early modern texts, AutoCorrection is absolutely fruitless, anyway. The program would only "verschlimmbessern" the text, as we say in German - make them worse by means of "corrections" according to modern orthographic rules - that simply do not apply to those textes.

Did you know how difficult it is to write an English text and misspell every single word in it?

Canzonett

Posted Sat Dec 30th, 2006 11:43am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Yeah, back to introductions. I meant to encourage people to post here, and now I am probably frightening them off ... :'(

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Dec 30th, 2006 12:04pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Did you know how difficult it is to write an English text and misspell every single word in it?

Ju mien leik sis? Nassing so eesy.

But teenage_tragady is right, back to introductions.
Since I believe my own introduction vanished somewhere in the nirwana of lost threads just a few words on my behalf:
I´m a 33 years-old female historian from Munich, Germany. I joined this forum because I´ve been an admirer of Stephen Fry´s work for many years. I´m a fan of his wit, humour and intelligence coupled with gentleness and modesty. He makes me use my brain and is the living proof that intelligence and brightness don´t necessarily make you uncool or conceited but witty and very, very likeable.
And I like this forum because it hosts an international bunch of lovely, funny and bright people who are a joy to share thoughts, insights, jokes, ramblings, pictures and whatnot with.

Canzonett

Posted Sat Dec 30th, 2006 4:24pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Ha! Got you. What about the "so"?

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Dec 30th, 2006 5:37pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.

Ha! Got you. What about the "so"?

Sats a tricki won. Ei treid ah fju vöaschns bat senn diseided ägänst 'soh'.

I have to stop this. After trying to utter the lines 'on mute' inside my brain not only my eyes are sore

Karabeth

Posted Mon Jan 1st, 2007 9:23pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Ill give it a go. I am new to the forum. I first fell in love with Hugh Laurie which opened my eyes to Stephen. Intelligent men fascinate me and are such a turn on. I love the mind and understanding how, why people think as they do.
I had seen some of the Fry/Laurie works growing up not knowing who they were. Seeing them again has been wonderful. I am mostly a reader not a watcher, but latley this has been turned around. I purchased the Fry & Laurie S 1&2, J&W box set, Peters Friends, Black Adder, House S1&2 , QI S 1. Have sucked up Moab is my Washpot, Gun Seller, Liar. Also watched several other Hugh and/ or Stephen movies, tv shows, interviews available on the web. I do confess I needed a dictionary for Moab is my Washpot, I wanted to ensure I understood everything completely.
Confession: I have basically become obsessed during this time of unemployment and study to saturate myself with Stephen and Hugh. The web is a wonderful tool to help one obsess. Recently watched WDYTYA with Stephen Fry and loved it. Just re-watched Peter’s Friends this am, it makes me cry every time. I am not sure if the personal loss of old friendships or yearning for what was, or understanding what the individual characters are going through in the movie itself. I must say (not sure why) Stephen is gorgeous and my recent fantasy life has been most enjoyable. (smiles) Recently ordered the remainder of Stephen’s books and cannot wait until they arrive. I live in the States and was not able to see the special on Manic Depression, but was diagnosed Bipolar a few years ago after several years of just knowing something was wrong and no one sure what. I thoroughly enjoy reading the threads here and the easy banter you all have with one another. I like the idea of some anonymity which gives license to be completly honest and open. Sure helps with being shy as well.

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 5:13pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Welcome, Karabeth *waves*

teenage_tragady

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 8:02pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Not many people have introduced themselves. I'm sorry we didn't mean to scare you off.

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 8:05pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
I think actual posts are probably a better introduction than some strained attempt at describing yourself to your own satisfaction in several sentences...

teenage_tragady

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 8:16pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Spoil sport X-D X-D i think it is nice because all the new people can have a place to put their first post. When i first joined trying to think of somthing any where near interesting to write on the other posts was a nightmare, so the new people should feel free to write something even if it is just `Hi my name is...`

Karuna

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 8:27pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Hello Karabeth! Welcome to Mr. Fry's lovely sight!

Canzonett

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 9:36pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Since I am hopeless at introducing myself, I will not even start an attempt of trying it. For those of us who already have been posting on this forum for some considerable time and wearout of finger joints, AxmxZ's opinion might hold true, but altogether I feel inclined to agree with teenage_tragady. The first post is always one of the most difficult, and it could be a good idea to use this thread as a kind of lovely, heart-warming and heart-shaped doormat reading "Welcome!" which covers that awesome threshold and keeps the door open at all times ...

Oh yes - and welcome, Karabeth!

teenage_tragady

Posted Tue Jan 2nd, 2007 9:46pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
I think we've just managed to scare more people X-D X-D X-D X-D X-D X-D

Canzonett

Posted Wed Jan 3rd, 2007 9:27pm Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Inglisch ees ey treeky lengwidsh. So don't feel afraid to post even if it is not your native tongue.

Scout

Posted Fri Jan 5th, 2007 8:32am Post subject: The new and improved, stickied INTRODUCTIONS thread.
Hullo! Hhhhmmm introductions, well I'm 17, homeschooled, love to read (fell in love with all things Wodehouse (he's brilliant!) then consequently Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry....hence this forum membership!) Can't think of anything else right now.