Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 16th, 2009 2:51pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I think Downey is a fantastic actor. Let me put that out there straight out of the gate so there's no confusion.

But...It strikes me as very odd, not 'wrong' so much as just...confusing...why an American was chosen for the lead role of Sherlock and an Englishman the sidekick, Watson? ( not undervaluing Watson's role either so please don't accuse of it ).

It just doesn't make sense to me other than for business reasons alone. I can't be convinced there isn't a hungry, young actor in England more than capable of having played this part at least as well. So the only answer I can come up with is 'the bottom line', not artistic credibility of any kind. "Show me the money..."

I also don't get the whole 'Fight Club' vibe from some of the trailors. But I'm not a Sherlock expert either.

If anyone sees it let us know what you thought.

Me, I'm going to see Avatar...

Really? Wow.

tito

Member *

Posted Wed Dec 16th, 2009 6:14pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I've always been a big fan of old Sherley. The best Sherl ever was Jeremy Brett in a TV series we had over here a few years ago.

I don't really mind Downey playing him as long as he does it well.

J Brett as S Holmes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNqQyg9S9mk

speckledband

Posted Thu Dec 17th, 2009 4:11pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Might very well see it out of curiosity but you know i love Jeremy Bretts Holmes to death so we will have to see! Plus i didn't like any of Guy Richies films when i was forced to watch them years ago by my older brother.

marzgirl

Posted Wed Dec 23rd, 2009 7:12pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I did not know this was a Guy Richi film. HMMM. Well I do plan on seeing it. I am no Sherlock Holmes expert my any stretch either Nitro. If nothing else I hope it renders stunning performances. In my humble opinion Robert Downey Jr. is one of the best American actors of this generation. The lead female role is played by an American as well I think. Again in my opinion she is not all that great. They surely could have found a talented beautiful English actress for that role.

Also Watson has an English Bulldog in the movie. I grew up with bulldogs and just adore them. I want to see the bulldog as much as dear Robert.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Wed Dec 30th, 2009 2:53am Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I didn't mean to give the impression that the movie shouldn't be seen or anything like that. No need to defend ones desire to see the movie! LOL

I only think, talented as Downey is, the casting was not an artful decision but one of 'the bottom line' for global distribution potentials.

Will probably go see it. I wonder if they'll touch on Holmes cocaine addiction, which I do know was very well clarified by Doyle. And that he also could take care of himself but I don't recall any mention of him hanging out in underground fight clubs. But I've seen that scene only out of context of the movie, so maybe it will make sense for the total plot.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Jan 3rd, 2010 11:37pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I do not like Downey Jr. or Law at all but I still went to see it.

It was amazing! It is not in any way meant to be Doyle's version...it is in fact based of a graphic novel version of the Sherlock Holmes story so way more action and what not.

Although traditional fans won't be too disappointed. There is a lot of deduction that only Holmes could make.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

speckledband

Posted Mon Jan 4th, 2010 12:37pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

The more i hear and read of the film the more i want to see it, i just don't want to go there and say things like 'Holmes would never do/say that!'or such. Proberly will see it this month anyway out of sheer curiosity!

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 5:25pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

IdeaCollector, I'm interested in looking at that graphic novel you said the movie's based on.

Can you please tell me the title? Was it a series or just one book?

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 5:34pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 5:35pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

i wasn't gonna see it because i thought it would just piss me off, but if idea collector says it's ok, maybe i will

speckledband

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 7:15pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

michael said:
JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT

Peter Jeremy William Huggins

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 8:39pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

speckledband said:
Peter Jeremy William Huggins

oh you're right.

brett was his tailor

speckledband

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 8:48pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I was just about to give you that interesting fact but you already know! Damn! It was a tailor in Leamington Spa.I live near there

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 8:50pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

"Leamington Spa? WHAT'S LESTRADE DOING IN LEMINGTON SPA! i do hope he took his wife with him!!"

or at least i think i heard him say that

speckledband

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 8:59pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Is that from the "Eligible Batchelor"? Poor Jeremy looks so ill in it:(