Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 9:08pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

i don't remember, but i think you're right.

there's parts of those later episodes that border on some kind of postmodern version of holmes

like the whole first part of the vampire one, where he scares watson by putting in vampire teeth, then he's talking to watson and says "no ghosts need apply!" and watson says "oh, now ghosts--" "NEED APPLY!!"

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

speckledband

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 9:27pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Yes you're right of course The Last Vampyre is pretty weird but i kind of like it

michael

Posted Tue Jan 5th, 2010 9:29pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

oh yeah it's worth it just for those six minutes!! i just found it on you tube.

out of nowhere: "this cup and saucer has been here for three days!!"

sorry i have filled this thread with chatter.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

Midsomerlover

Posted Wed Jan 6th, 2010 12:10pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I'm a huge fan of the Granada series as well. Very true to the original stories and beautifully made.

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

speckledband

Posted Wed Jan 6th, 2010 7:05pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Such a shame that Jeremy died before he could film all the stories
I often wonder what 'A Study In Scarlet' might have been like if they had filmed it.
Oh well those first few granada series are spine tingingly good and i watch them very often!

IdeaCollector

Posted Sun Jan 10th, 2010 4:37am Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

As I've been in surgery I've not been able to update properly but I can't find the link to the comic at present but can tell you the author of the tale is a gentleman named Lionel Wigram

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

tito

Member *

Posted Sun Jan 10th, 2010 5:45pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

michael said:
JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT JEREMY BRETT

What are you driving at?

speckledband

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 11:18am Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I think he likes Jeremy Brett and who can blame him lol

tito

Member *

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 2:39pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I know. The ultimate Sherl for me too.

I like your Paddington avatar, I was always a fan. Here is the wee chap 'In person'.

http://www.rjohnwright.com/images/newreleases/paddington/paddington.jpeg

speckledband

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 2:56pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Aaawww he's so cute!! My mum used to read me the Paddington stories when i was a kid i loved them

Midsomerlover

Posted Thu Jan 14th, 2010 11:24pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Was browsing Youtube just now and found this absolutely brilliant scene from The Return of SH. This must be one of my favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vipgpbtg4xY

@midsomerlover on Twitter.

speckledband

Posted Fri Jan 15th, 2010 11:57am Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Love it and Jeremy's laugh is very ->

Nitro

Posted Fri Jan 15th, 2010 5:00pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Paddington got me into trouble as a kid. Big trouble, such that my folks had to come have one of those teachers conferences.

We were supposed to do one of those 'build something based on our favorite book story'. At the time, mine was Paddington. So the day came for show and tell.

All the kids went up one by one with stuff their parents helped them build, and the occasional propellorhead who built a robot out of her toothbrush, and then me.

I'd taken my big stuffed bear, slapped a floppy hat on his head and a little raincoat of my cousins and that was my 'build'. Nevermind the kids liked it, and it was easy for me ;), the teacher was offended by my 'disregard'.

Oh well...you can't please everyone.

Really? Wow.

Mr Gallo

Posted Sat Feb 13th, 2010 10:20am Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

Nitro said:
I'm interested in looking at that graphic novel you said the movie's based on.

Can you please tell me the title? Was it a series or just one book?

Some Holmes stories in comic form...

http://www.hypergeek.ca/2010/01/k-patrick-glover-r.....lchak.html

Late Night Fishing

Top Quality Interweb Radiospiel!

AC

Posted Thu Feb 25th, 2010 4:18pm Post subject: The new Sherlock Holmes

I thought it was a very entertaining action/adventure movie and that Downey was quite good, but definitely not the best Holmes film/TV adaptation. I don't know much about Sherlock Holmes because I've only seen TV shows and films and not read the actual stories, but I was much more impressed with Jeremy Brett's series. He plays Holmes EXACTLY the way I always imagined him. This new movie, I thought, emphasized action and special effects too much without a really strong script. I understand they weren't going for an exact rendition of the original stories, but I think they could've had both the great script and the great action if they had played their cards right. But that's an issue with a lot of films today.
The thing that really annoyed me, though, was that they took Irene Adler, the one great woman in the Holmes canon, and made her into a stereotypical criminal/femme fatale type. If they wanted that kind of character, just pick a new name for her.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde