Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

sanjuro

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 9:50pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I'm not sure how I missed this title when it came out, as I rather pride myself on my collection of SF hardcovers. Anyway, I just wanted to say what a great, great book this is. As someone who teaches poetry at the University level, I can't think of a more accessible and enjoyable introduction to some of the more mechanical aspects of poetry. Personally, I always dread the "stylistic" class, where we go over feet and metre. Yes, it's important, but it always leaves the students with a glassy, just-been-hit-in-the-head look.

I don't know if Mr. Fry stops by here that often, but I would like to tip my hat to the man for such a book. I suppose this is rather like a prayer ... you have no idea whether it shall reach the intended recipient or even if the intended recipient is there.

jgray

Posted Sun Feb 18th, 2007 7:17pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I agree-- The Ode Less Traveled is a wonderful book, both for beginning poets and for more experienced writers. I teach poetry writing at a university in western New York, and I've used some of the exercises in The Ode in my classes. They were extremely helpful, especially the sections on meter. And the witty tone makes the dry subject matter all the more accessible for students. I only wish the book had been published in time (and in paperback) for me to order it for my class this semester. I will definitely do so in the future. Thank you, Mr. Fry!

sanjuro

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 4:15am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I've been recommending Ode to a number of people I know who teach and edit poetry. They've all been very receptive. One editor in particular comments on the book quite often.

gibbon

Posted Fri Mar 9th, 2007 9:07am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I am reading The Ode Less Travelled, in fact I have just finished the section on metre and am going into rhyme.

I had a mild interest in poetry but had not really attempted to write any myself or ever gone out of my way to read any. Then after I had done the first exercise in Ode i was hooked. But I agree with whoever said that Fry makes it way more interesting because if it was written in a dull text book style I wouldn't have made it past the first page.

So thank you Stephen:D

But I have often wondered how comprehensive it is. I mean obviously at University you would learn far more and in greater detail but if your students are doing some of the exercise surely you must reach a certain level of proficiancy by the time you have finished the entire book?

errr sorry i first posted this as a new thread rather than a reply

Wildean

Posted Fri Mar 9th, 2007 11:25am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I got this for my birthday but i haven't started it yet.

MerryMary

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 2:13am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I am enjoying this book immensely.

I admit that after purchasing it, I left the thing laying around in a conspicuous place for a couple of months, collecting dust and fear. Last week, having gathered up courage and determination, I read the forward and introduction. Aha! Not just another work on what has unfortunately become a topic of coma-inducing risks, I found that Stephen would guide me gently through. Before reading the first chapter, I indulged in a read of the glossary. I experienced the sort of illicit naughtiness which one enjoys when peeking at the ending of a novel. Ethically despicable, but fun.

Now I've managed to finish chapter two.

It's fun to have a go at poetry.
But maybe I'll have Stephen's head when done!

MerryMary

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 3:04am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
Who else will join me in this work we do?
I need some friends to share the fun and games.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 11:32am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I bought a copy of this last Friday night while in town. As songwriter, who never seems to get the lyrics quite.... well... lyrical, i'm certainly looking very forward to getting stuck into this book. xox Pete

MerryMary

Posted Mon May 21st, 2007 8:07pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
My thinking as well. I like to write songs, but the tunes come more easily than the words. Having a better sense of structure will be an enormous help.

Hope you will check in as you go.

MerryMary

Posted Tue Jun 26th, 2007 7:34pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
Where are my friends?
I just wrote my first ode. Ever. It feels like some new sexual experince I've magically discovered.

I frequent another forum, related to a popular TV show in the US. We are trying to amuse ourselves during the re-run season whilst waiting for the new season.
Someone started a thread called "The Writer's Challenge." The subthreads contain topics for fic lit, odes, limericks, and other types of fun. The filthy writing is on another, related forum which offers a place for persons over sixteen. We fondly refer to it as "Behind the Green Door." In this place are thirty-five randy women, some old enough to have grown children, writing things which would make your mother blush. Always a good laugh to be had....

We blame dear Stephen for our inspiration. Thank you darling!

SlowBlackCrowBlack

Posted Wed Jul 11th, 2007 9:52pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I'm afraid I have to agree, this is a wonderful book. I've always been interested in poetry, but the 'science' of it always daunted me. Especially since we did very little of it in school. Thankfully something like this exists that not only taught me the standard names for things, but introduced me to some great forms.

Also, does anyone know if there is a post on this forum or somewhere else on the internet where people post their exercises for the book? I am very curious what other people have come up for some of the exercises. Especially ones like the Ballad of Danny Wise

MerryMary

Posted Wed Jul 11th, 2007 10:11pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
To amuse ourselves during the drought between seasons, there is a link on the boston-legal dot org board called "The Writer's Challenge." We've got limericks to rap to odes, tongue twisters, and even..haiku.

I admit to discussing the Ode book and challenging people to take up the cause in order to save ourselves from the hazard of Summer Brain Mush.

Another thing: the BL board has a discreet contingent of House fans.

As I said elsewhere on this board, my personal holy trinity, aside from the BCP fellows, are Fry,Laurie and Spader.

Come have a look.

newgeekphilosopher

Posted Fri Oct 19th, 2007 5:16am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I admit it, I shelled out for Ode Less Travelled today. I've started reading it, and it's quite interesting. I write a bit of poetry myself, and Ode Less Travelled is not only helpful to my poetic compositions, but also remarkably handy for my English exam on Monday that has a Poetry criticism section. If Stephen reads this, I point out that I would have bought the book for mainly my own enjoyment in any case, not just because I have a big poetry essay exam on Monday...

Do tell me how I should go about using the book in relation to my own poetry, it's not like any book I've encountered before, the closest I can group it as belonging to a creative canon is in the same boat as The Elements of Style is for writers, only far less pretentious.

paul harris

Posted Thu Dec 13th, 2007 11:53am Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I've fallen in love all over again .......
i love poetry its - all i read really

Raymond Carver complete poems..All of Us
Robert Fagle's recent(ish) translation of the Odyssey and almost anythng by simon armitage being particular favourites at the moment

oh and Lorca, Larkin, Lawrence, Hughes, Heaney.......

.............. this beautiful beast of a book has just added some tools to help me get even more from what i read ....and it's got me writing something other than ploppy song lyrics

like slowblack.... I'm really interested in seeing what others have come up with responding to Stephen's ever so lovely exercises ... i've started a new thread on danny wise ballads

go on ..... you know you want to .....

spiralthreads

Posted Wed Jan 16th, 2008 10:54pm Post subject: The Ode Less Travelled
I bought The Ode Less Travelled just after Christmas, when I realised that Father Christmas had forgotten to leave one for me - or possibly had decided to take it home with him.

After a lifetime of having to separate metric from imperial (yes, I'm from that generation of students who started off learning inches and then had to convert my brain to centemetres), it seems strange to be studying a subject that combines feet and metres.

This is a ridiculously entertaining and inspiring book, given its technical content.

Help the Rage group raise £100,000 for Shelter by pledging £2 - here or donate direct here