Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 5:44am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-tao-inno.....gy-twitter

This is kind of a continuation of another thread where Robert Putnam's book "Bowling Alone" was referenced.

I figure the article will not be necessarily popular with Twitter fans and that's OK. You don't have to like it or agree. But I tend to be of the mind to look at things from both 'sides', as it were', versus being swept up in something because everyone else is X-D

( Nitro runs out of the room, ducking...)

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 2:08pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
I'm not tossing anything at you. The article made some excellent points.

1. We are social animals. I've known a lot of people who love to have everyone and anyone call them on the phone, stop over (the old days) or communicate with them using twitter, facebook, etc. I've also known people who limit this sort of contact to just a few people. I have never met anyone who wants to be isolated from the rest of humanity. We might have days where we don't want to see or talk to anyone in any fashion, but in general, we want people to know we're alive. Hey, we wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't want to talk to people.

2. We can overdo it. I don't think there's any harm in one giving a blow-by-blow description of one's day on twitter. If you have followers, they must not mind, right? But I do know people who are constantly checking email, twitters, facebook pages to see who might have virtually stopped by. I suppose that's all right, except I dislike it when I'm talking to someone face to face and he/she can't put the phone away to talk to me properly. That's an addiction, I think. Not too healthy. What happens if you break your phone, your computer crashes? Do you go into withdrawals? We had a power outage for 14 hours the other day and I found I missed the internet more than I missed running water. That was a disconcerting revelation.

Don't worry, Nitro. I'm not going to throw tomatoes at you for bringing this to our attention. Now please excuse me. I've got check my twitter messages.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 3:49pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
It is amusing that the article is set up like a serious cerebral contemplation of Twitter. I really would love to read the whole thing, and will probably be back to read more later. I don't know if the author actually mentions it, but Twitter fits a social connection need in that it is very brief. I cannot read long articles in one sitting. I am interested to see if he addresses that aspect. I am assuming that our very short attention spans is covered in his article, since I think the internet has something to do with this fairly recent phenomenon.

PamJH

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 4:36pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
Ginj, there was an article about this very subject in the The Atlantic some months ago called "Is Google Making Us Stoopid?" Talked about short attention spans and some people's inability to focus on large amounts of text. Was very interesting. Notice my sentences getting shorter.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Apr 11th, 2009 4:40pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
Ginj, there was an article about this very subject in the The Atlantic some months ago called "Is Google Making Us Stoopid?" Talked about short attention spans and some people's inability to focus on large amounts of text. Was very interesting. Notice my sentences getting shorter.
Did it really? I will have to look for that article, I am very interested in seeing some real research on it. I can tell you, since getting a computer and joining message boards, my attention span has definitely shortened. I want to get the gist of whatever is being conveyed in two minutes or less. X-D

Nitro

Posted Mon Apr 13th, 2009 5:19am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
I think to get the point of what anyone might saw about the technologies that tend towards "look at me! I matter!" social technologies, you'd be better served to just read 'Bowling Alone'.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Wed May 27th, 2009 6:21pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
I still don't use Twitter. Am I the last person on the planet who doesn't?

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed May 27th, 2009 11:15pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
Yes Nitro...you are the last person that is not on twitter. XD

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Nitro

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 3:32am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

X-D Ahhhhh...the great thing about being alone is that I'm in such excellent company.

Really? Wow.

Help

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 3:36pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

X-D Ahhhhh...the great thing about being alone is that I'm in such excellent company.

X-D
Yep, you and Maxx England.
I think everyone else on this board has a Twitter.
I think really it's funny, we talk to each other on here and then talk to each other on there about things we're talking about on here.
I made that sound way more complicated than it actually was

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 6:55am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
Here is an interesting tool that came out recently, if you have not seen it yet: TweetPsych. This can be used as a sort of summary for your "tweet behavior". It will analyze the last 1000 posts on your profile and then give you a report of the kind of things that you've discussed most, positive versus negative emotions, etc. Pretty cool, if I may say.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 8:20pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
Here is an interesting tool that came out recently, if you have not seen it yet: TweetPsych. This can be used as a sort of summary for your "tweet behavior". It will analyze the last 1000 posts on your profile and then give you a report of the kind of things that you've discussed most, positive versus negative emotions, etc. Pretty cool, if I may say.

Damn you Britannicus, here I was trying to villify Twitter, ( seriously, can't we have ONE thread that's anti-Twitter? heh heh heh ), and you come along and make it seem interesting.

(..stomps off in melodramatic huff...)

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 9:19pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

This profiler says that I:
- tend to talk about the past.
- often talk about various cognitive processes like learning, thinking, knowing, etc.
- an agreeable person.
- tweet about your various senses often.
- express plenty of positive emotions.
- talk about the future often.

So I talk about the past AND the future often. Interesting...

Some people that think like you:

tomcavill Tweet @tomcavill
nisedd Tweet @nisedd
jtbw Tweet @jtbw
cleeut Tweet @cleeut
stephenfry Tweet @stephenfry

'ey!

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 11:07pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
oh, I'm trying that Psych thing.

btw, I read that article that was linked originally, and the second one too. somehow I had the attention span to click AND read at the same time. I'm kind of proud of that.

I used Twitter too much when I first signed up. but now I'm satisfied with my use because I don't feel like I need to say everything, or have a tweet after any specific intervals. I don't keep up with a 'backlog' either, too much to keep track of.

ahhh, the Psych thing has processed. it does a pretty good job of chosing similar users. I checked out their profiles and I really like the tone of their tweets! X-D

sockdolager.

kevinchan

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 12:39pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
I've just recently tweet as well, and I've been conducting an experiment on it.

How many folks would follow me as I ramble on something specific and boring ie. cloud computing.
So far, I've had 10 following me, and I'm sure they're bots

Conclusion: Failure.

Was I tweeting or twitting then?