Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

michael

Posted Mon Jul 6th, 2009 4:57pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter
i used tweetpsych and got a 89 for aggression!

course, keep in mind: a)i delete my posts regularly. so...when i do those things, it's not all my tweets, it's recent stuff

and b) recently i have tweeted about:

my senator who is very anti gay (i typed "hates queers")
the desire to have a partner that smacks me on the butt while i'm getting ready in the morning,
the fact that i hurt myself doing handstand pushups,
a quote from leslie feinberg about brutality,
the kids who visited my office mischieviously talking about handcuffs,
the sadness i feel when smashing ants,
and how atari (our mod, clarebear,) kicks ass.

LOL!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Aug 8th, 2009 11:29pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

Aww michael. Your last post made me snorfle. ^_^ *stompsmushgrappleattack*

Help said:
Yes Nitro...you are the last person that is not on twitter. XD

X-D Ahhhhh...the great thing about being alone is that I'm in such excellent company.

X-D
Yep, you and Maxx England.
I think everyone else on this board has a Twitter.
I think really it's funny, we talk to each other on here and then talk to each other on there about things we're talking about on here.
I made that sound way more complicated than it actually was

It is funny that and then we have groups on Facebook to discuss what we discuss on here and twitter though I don't think any of us use those very often...

I agree with the points in the first article about our social needs. Pretty straight forward stuff. We're social creatures and need things love, affection and friendship.

The stuff about narcissism...isn't that trait a direct symptom of the current domination of reality TV? The mass media is littered with reality and talent shows and seems to talk endlessly about them. It seems everyone wants to have their moment of fame or they want to watch and read about people striving for their moment of fame. The media is breeding the idea that you can achieve your goals, become rich and famous and loved by all just by appearing in a television show rather than putting years of hard work in.

Assuming direct control...

Nitro

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 9:59pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

I'm very evil.

I have been experiencing the twattering myself...shit..tweetering..twittering? I don't even have the lexicon down right.

A friend of mine thinks Twitter is "astonishingly superficial". I agree. About the only thing interesting on my twitter page are the projects or people I follow. All else is my own drivel. My overall opinion so far is that it's really, really boring.

I can see it being a useful tool under certain circumstances and industries. Otherwise, for me, I find after I sign in and burn through as many 140ch fields as I can without falling asleep, I enjoy signing out of it more than in.

Really? Wow.

gjhsu

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 6:16am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

You don't have to continue using it Do as my friend did. He deleted his twitter account and now lives a happy, twitter-free life.

But please don't try to crap in we-who-love-to-tweet's cereal about the site. Use, or use not.

ps. twitter ate 2400 of my past tweets and won't let me have them again.... d'oh, that denial-of-service attack has really screwed stuff up.

Nitro

Posted Tue Aug 11th, 2009 5:20am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

Given I started this thread, you'll excuse me if I crap wherever the hell I like. If my opinions and observations of MY twitter experience bother you, don't read them. I fully intend on continuing commenting on my experience so do as you like. You're free to start an I love Twitter thread, if one doesn't already exist.

Really? Wow.

Derek Holding-Willey

Posted Tue Aug 18th, 2009 5:52pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

I registered for twitter and then promptly lost interest. As far as I know it exists either to alert friends (ha, much misused word) to lift-events or the shooting of a Chinese person or persons during a riot. Oh, and isn't there Demi Moore in there somewhere?
Since I generally use the stairs and don't reside in Peking I decided I might not be part of the target-market.

Nitro

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 4:46am Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

It's amazing to me how technology has not evolved our social manners into a higher state.

For instance, an associate recently called me and asked for me to repeat information I had left on her voicemail. To which she replied,"Oh, I don't listen voice messages. I return phone calls." I told her I think it's rather rude that her voice mail solicits you to leave a message, you take the time to do so,and then she excuses herself for not listening. OK, I have no problem NOT bothering to take my time to leave a message but it surely would have been nice information to have BEFORE I left voice mails.

So, in an effort sometimes to be 'faster' or more quickly connected, we rationalize rude behavior, seeing only our own objective as being important. That's not 'connecting' people nor encouraging to further kindness, but further disregard. Which divides people.

Technology CAN certainly be used for very, very good purposes. But if at the end of this circus we all only walk out dragging our knuckles socially, what did it accomplish other than reducing us to our basest state?

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Thu Aug 20th, 2009 1:25pm Post subject: The Psychology of Twitter

I deleted my Twitter account.

Nothing too personal, just not into it. And I know I'm in a minority but that is neither here nor there. There's just no romance there for me. I'll stick with publishing that has no restrictions in an environment where the idea of 'followers' is not exactly at the forefront.

Twitter was painfully boring, whereas I can bobble around in the Stumbleupon site for an hour and barely notice the time passing.

Meh, I'd say my Twitter experience was mildly amusing for a minute or two....lol

Onwards and upwards and backwards and forwards and all those wards...

Really? Wow.