Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

dulieGirl

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 12:02am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
I would be so for this but worry that Mr.Fry would be watered down due to the miserable Puritan hangover that our general consciousness is burdened by.
I don't think so, especially if it ends up airing on BBCAmerica. Aside from some bleeps on certain words, I don't see why they would change anything. They don't edit Graham Norton, again, aside from some bleeping.

Nitro

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 2:19am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
Help me out here: Is BBCAmerica a public channel like PBS is?

I get some public channels, those funded by donations ( like PBS ) but fairly certain I don't get BBCAmerica. My point is that I can see where Qi would be more likely aired on a cable channel, which one pays for, versus the free broadcasted channels. I think it would be superb if NBC or ABC or whomever decided to air Qi, but I would be really, really surprised if they did.

Really? Wow.

dulieGirl

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 2:32am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
Help me out here: Is BBCAmerica a public channel like PBS is?
No, it's a cable channel. Usually a higher end cable channel. I know that with Time Warner Cable, you can only get BBCAmerica if you order the digital cable package. And the last time I had satellite TV you could get BBCAmerica if you ordered the higher end package that was the most expensive package directly below the package that included the movie channels. It's starting to get more popular now since they are actually playing real commercials on it instead of the lame mini-infomercials.

But, it can suck watching British shows on it because the commercial breaks will just randomly happen during the action, since the show isn't timed for it. We were watching Monty Python today and it cut to commercial right in the middle of a sketch. Most of the time they can time it right and put a commercial break at the end of a scene, but sometimes it's just BAM COMMERCIAL!

Nitro

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 3:00am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
Thanks duliegirl, I think I understand it better now.

I don't pay for TV ( hence the Peasantvision reference lol ) and so get whatever is chugged out as entertainment, when I do watch TV. What's interesting to me is that channels like PBS often do air British shows and I've even seen an episode of Kingdom. I like that show but haven't seen it since. I don't have a clue what they're doing sometimes really and wonder sometimes if the British shows we do get here, on PBS, are shows that a majority of Brits watch over the pond or if they think they're cack LOL

Really? Wow.

dulieGirl

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 12:02am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
Nitro if you interested, you can watch all of the episodes of Kingdom here. PBS did play at least some episodes of Kingdom since I managed to catch about 3 of them, but they didn't advertise at all for them (at least not on my local station) and played them at a terrible time, like 11:30 pm on Mondays or something ridiculous.

Also, you can check this site to see about opening your DVD player to multi-regional. Then you can just order QI from AmazonUK, which is what one of my friends did. But, only A, B, and C series are out on DVD at the moment, and you are looking at about 30 bucks for each DVD plus shipping so it can be kind of expensive. Worth it though; totally worth it.

Mares

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 9:56pm Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
I've signed it. It really should be aired here. What I wouldn't care for is some watered down adaptation.

autumnranger

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 3:53am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
I guess it is too early to request where it will show up, but I'd love to see it on the weekends on PBS, around midnight so we won't have to worry about beeping out certain words. I don't want BBC America to get it, they'll shred the episodes to death

Nitro

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 5:03am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
duliegirl, thanks for those links, you're awesome

Really? Wow.

autumnranger

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 2:45am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
If no one can show the episodes (it does run 28 minutes without ads), then just sell the dvds. Please! I'd buy the US dvds and that's money in the BBC's pockets.

Lauren

Posted Sun Nov 9th, 2008 11:22am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
I can't say I've actually read all the comments posted, but I'm pretty sure no one's mentioned the fact that a lot of us Canadians like QI as well! So, if it does come to America, make sure us Canucks can see it too =)

But I really hope that if this whole thing succeeds, the feeling of the show won't disappear and become Americanized. I see enough American shows already and QI is such a nice change.

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 7:57pm Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
I can't say I've actually read all the comments posted, but I'm pretty sure no one's mentioned the fact that a lot of us Canadians like QI as well! So, if it does come to America, make sure us Canucks can see it too =)

But I really hope that if this whole thing succeeds, the feeling of the show won't disappear and become Americanized. I see enough American shows already and QI is such a nice change.

QI is a nice change from most British shows as well. There isn't that much I can be bothered with watching these days. There is a hell of a lot of cack on television.

Assuming direct control...

supahz

Posted Sun Jan 18th, 2009 3:35am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
If no one can show the episodes (it does run 28 minutes without ads), then just sell the dvds. Please! I'd buy the US dvds and that's money in the BBC's pockets.

That's a good point. I've been watching on YouTube and elsewhere, and have many of the programs saved on my hard drive and Creative Zen player, but would gladly pay for them if they were available on DVD. I want the original, not some watered down American version.

Problem is, how many people can turn the Beeb's head? Who apart from Fry and Brit fans really knows about the program here in the US? The obvious answer to all questions, now that some books are out is, as has already mentioned, BBC America. Additionally, if it had a late evening airing they might not have to bleep as heavily.

Signed the petition in any case... number 6561. Cheers!

inform86

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 7:00pm Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
Stephen,
I wish you the very best of luck with this but I fear that certain elements of your show would be too rude for the US market?
I am a Brit living in Brit and I love it!

XL format is fab by the way and congrats on your deal with BBC W

Richard

RichardButler

haverwench

Posted Sun Mar 29th, 2009 3:13am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
My point is that I can see where Qi would be more likely aired on a cable channel, which one pays for, versus the free broadcasted channels. I think it would be superb if NBC or ABC or whomever decided to air Qi, but I would be really, really surprised if they did.
PBS might do it. They've picked up British shows before (Monty Python, for instance).

Why, oh why, oh why, oh,
Why can't Americans watch QI, oh?

glebber

Posted Wed Apr 1st, 2009 12:05am Post subject: The "QI in America" Petition!
My point is that I can see where Qi would be more likely aired on a cable channel, which one pays for, versus the free broadcasted channels. I think it would be superb if NBC or ABC or whomever decided to air Qi, but I would be really, really surprised if they did.
PBS might do it. They've picked up British shows before (Monty Python, for instance).

Why, oh why, oh why, oh,
Why can't Americans watch QI, oh?

i sooo wish that they would air it in America!!! Or at least make the BBC iPlayer to be viewable in America.