Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

sansriendire

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 11:52pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
(in the form of a wholly unsatisfactory example.)

As I sit,
Crouched in chair,
Pen in hand,
Hand in hair,
My eyes are closed,
My brain is bare.
The light,
Commands the vision outside my window.
A mess of ornamental ugliness and sullied architecture;
But it's what we have.
Can we inject a little fire?...
A little passion,
A bit of pace,
A deadened fashion,
Another race,
The poet's face,
The verbal ration,
Both out of place,
Both out of passion:
I, myself, have taken time,
To lilt the ultimate in rhyme,
A poet who could solve this line,
Would make me greener than a lime:
Why have we slumped from tragedy and rage
To meaningless, incoherent, completely rhythm-less stunted improvisation on the page?

It's just so
Relentlessly Pretentious? [/u]

maitland

Posted Wed Oct 8th, 2008 8:51pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
... And the irony is that this is a very 'honest poem'. I detest your vast generalisation, obviously not all modern poetry is of the highest literary value, just like Ancient Greek writings and all the different ages. There are fantastic living, (I take your idea of 'modern poets' as living poets or else your statement is absolutely ignorant), such as Geoffrey Hill, Henri Cole and Anne Carson. I'm also quite annoyed that you discriminate against poets that are not currently among the living - you have - and completely accessible - a vast universe of brilliant poets that transcend time and space and many barriers - and yet you chosen to ignore them. You don't deserve any sympathy.

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 19th, 2008 4:50pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
I know this is a cliched idea to repeat but I tend to think it's simple truth is, well, true. "All art is subjective.." or something along those lines..

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is poetry in the eye of the poet and/or the reader? I'm guilty myself of dismissing things outright that I think are trivial but remind myself that someone finds them interesting and in the end, opinion is just that: opinion.

I don't particularly like nor appreciate technical skill just because a skill is shown. Someone can be technically sound in playing an instrument but create music that, for me, is really soul-less. Lacking in something and rather more like listening to math formulas. Interesting at first but not particularly moving.

And I'd like to add that in an impulse or drive to write poetry, one is going to write some really awful stuff on the path to becoming better. Friends bring me poems all the time. I read them with as open a mind as I can. Some are painful but even those have some element, at times, of showing at the very least a potential to become better. Not all, but some.

I could like e.e. cummings and you could hate him. Do our opinions make or break the poet? I don't know, and not sure that poet would care or even should.

Really? Wow.

maitland

Posted Mon Oct 20th, 2008 2:02pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
And you might 'open-mindedly'' allow yourself to note Nitro that I was referring to the topic of 'The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry' and not so much his poem. I have no idea what you are bumbling on about.
You do realise you are meaning unintentionally that this poem is awful - since I didn't point out any faults in this poem - and you are defending something that is not said nor explicitly implied by me x
Heart - breaking rhetoric btw. xx

Nitro

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 7:37am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Actually, I wasn't responding to you personally at all, nor the poem itself, but I applaud your immense arrogance in assuming I was.

Crucify much? If not, you'd be wonderful at it!

roflmao...

Really? Wow.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 9:59am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
What sort of poem is this?

Fish are clever, fish are smart.
Of all the clever and smart fish
the Haddock Fish is the fish
that is closest to my heart.

The Cod Fish

maitland

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 11:03am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Its not arrogance to assume when someone posts beneath you and posts under a topic, they are replying to either one of the two. I stick my above post, in that case. Its either shit-headed rudeness and blinding arrogance or absolute idiocy for someone to erupt through a topic in order to boast of their great 'open-mindedness' in poetry and whilst immersing themselves in silly waffle.

btw you must have a brick's sense of comedy or 'immense arrogance' if you found your own comment funny.

No I don't think that being a psychopath of a serial killer that nails random people on crosses and watches them die gruesomely - is particularly appealing. Go on. Crucify yourself.

Nitro

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 6:11pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
I'm a little embarassed by all the flattery you're giving me maitland.

And, yes, I often do amuse myself. And you amuse me too. So, carry on...

Really? Wow.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 10:15pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
I don't know all the technical aspects that you are both 'discussing' but with two experts on hand I would like to know if my poem above is a proper poem or merely Fisharrel.

I do agree that good poetry has something that bad poetry does not have.

Chris

Nitro

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 6:12pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Chris, I don't think that is fish poo at all. I liked it. It made me smile. That's why I liked it. If someone pulled a trick and said,"hahahahaha you idiot, that was written by a fifth grader!" or "..that was written by Petrarch.."...well, so what? lol

This is where the opinion thing comes in, which is what I was trying to say previously. The dog chases its tail in an endless attempt to villify or make credible someone else's writings and in the end it's always, always - no matter how many academic 'proofs' or not a person might reference to make their own opinion more credible 'for' or 'against' or if they're part of the literati or not - it's still just opinion. What one person enjoys having read. Opinions don't nullify each other. Someone might read your words and scream "Fraud! You rube!" but for the people who have already enjoyed them, it's too late. You can't undo the memory of an emotional response even if you can undo the persons confidence in having first felt it. I hope that makes sense and also hope it makes sense in the context of this, erm, discussion...

Really? Wow.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 6:48pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Hi I think the same - there is a vital difference between a fact - water boils at 100*C - and a judgement - i think this water should be regarded as the boiling sort - or - this water is very good at boiling at the right temp - but this water is very naughty cos it never boils when it should and ialways late for school - etc.

I mean its plainly obvious that 'credibility' is a judgement and that a poem is in a particular 'form' (WTF is a 'quatrain'?) is a commonly accepted observed fact. I agree with what you say.

C

WhyGenTom

Posted Thu Oct 23rd, 2008 6:27am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry

I do agree that good poetry has something that bad poetry does not have.

Seconded... haha

'Underneath the bridge, tap has sprung a leek,
Animals I've trapped, have all become my friends,
Living off of grass, and drippings from the ceiling,
It's okay to eat fish, because they don't have any feelings.'
- Somethings In The Way, Kurt Cobain

Just came to mind after the fish reference haha

- Tom
xx

maitland

Posted Sat Oct 25th, 2008 4:43am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Yes, I thought I did flatter you Nitro, its the highest kind of 'praise' you will ever get.

Actually chrisB I liked your poem very much.

Nitro

Posted Sat Oct 25th, 2008 5:23am Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Maitland, pish! That wasn't even a superficially clever insult, sweetness. I believe with all my heart that you can do much better.

Really? Wow.

poeticallyblind

Posted Sat Oct 25th, 2008 2:42pm Post subject: The Reason That There Is So Much Shitty Modern Poetry
Nitro: All interesting points related to the topic...thanks for playing!

Maitland - Please tell me you are being ironic (never noticed before that it rhymes with moronic, feel a poem coming on)...you can`t seriously mean to slag someone off for simply participating in the conversation...or maybe you can...please feel free to shut me down and insult me in your reply...I can take!

And now, back to our topic...