Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 3:26pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
'London is not somewhere where i've found much support from the nhs'

i've heard this about London quite a bit. I don't doubt your right, makes sense what you say.

and of course you shold'nt have to move. It was like this here til the last 2-3 yearsand there are plenty of people here in cheltenham and gloucester who would still say the same. i'm glad you ageree about the p. therapies. i suppose what i'm saying is that there is a change going on in mental health services, and a certain degree of backlash by health professionals against the old schooll of response, which is about the blame culture i think. ie unenlightened h proffessionals will say" you shouldn't be here in a&e cos you made yourself ill, we want to rtreat people who have got 'prper illnesses' and so on. there really is a body of people in the nhs mh services who are rebelling against that old stuff.CAN YOU HEAR THAT., EVERYONE? IT IS CHANGING.

i've been lucky i guess, but at the same time i've made my luck cos i was fuc*ing angry about being treated like that.... my ponification has changed into a mild rant eh? but .... Have Faith

i notice my typing accuracy goes down when i get passionate about this.he he

good wishes C

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 5:24pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
If you're going to have a go at Robbie about that, then you might as well do the same at Stephen. He had the compulsion to buy pretty much everything he fancied, remember? That doesn't mean that his periods of depression were any more fun. What about the people who have the compulsion but just can't afford it? I don't hear the criticism raining down on Stephen... Just give Robbie a break, he's suffering too.

And before i get slagged off by someone saying i think that of stephen bollocks.
I like his personality very much when he talks about his problems it comes from the heart .

Is that what you were referring to? If it was, I wasn't slagging anybody off. I was just making the point that it's unfair to judge some "superstars" as having it easy because of their wealth...

I know the consequences of bipolar disorder are so very different for those with more or less money, but it doesn't have an effect on the actual depression, you know? Stephen's always been in a rich family and has always had enough money and stuff. There are "working class" (for want of a better expression) people who've never come so close to suicide as he has.

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 5:34pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Hi Chris
I agree that psychological therapies are very effective and beneficial. Unfortunately central London is not somewhere where i've found much support from the nhs. i've ended up finding my own counsellor, support and things that work. makes me a bit annoyed, but what can you do? i have considered moving to a more supportive part of the country, having been born and brought up in london.

Woof.

Me too.

London is useless. Worst than Belfast! I am currently left without any medications and going nuts cos the psychiatrist will not listen to me.

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 7:42pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
I'm glad everybody seems to have sorted out what they mean by 'real' etc! (speaking as a 'real' person who "cannot work, have to claim benefits, have found that they cannot be creative, cannot do much and who are effectively disabled because of their illnesses" ie been on DLA for nearly five years and having received literally hundreds of thousands of £'s of psychological therapies and hospital support in that time from the much slagged-off NHS. Fortunately it works, and I'll probably be discharged around Christmas time. Maybe that's 'the road less travelled ' by most of you but make that your road, by working with the system. It doesn't differentiate because of social status, it's just full of people who care, at least in Gloucestershire.

Psychological therapies work at least as effectively as anything else, if not generally more so. The medical ie pharmacological model tends to trap people in their illness, although of course they are sometimes necessary. You can't change what happened but you can change what you think and feel about it, and judging by some of the negativity around this forum, changiing your thoughts would make a lot of difference.

Anyway pontification over!!! Take it easy C

He lost everything...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 9:18pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Er????

Who lost what? you really angry it seems to me

what have you founfd positive in wot i wrote? anything? or is it too far away from you. put me straight on what i'm misunderstanding in you if you would

Daz

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 12:27am Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
All i would like to say is i hope stephen never presses the button he asks us all to imagine. in 16 yrs of my dealings with manic depression i couldn't ask it to go away if i wanted to. although it has taken some things and individuals away from me i will never underestimate the people and places it has taken me. thank you once again for the program and i hope it is repeated again soon!!!

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 12:44am Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Er????

Who lost what? you really angry it seems to me

what have you founfd positive in wot i wrote? anything? or is it too far away from you. put me straight on what i'm misunderstanding in you if you would

I think I quoted you by mistake...

panda

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 2:32pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Hi Miss Seaneen

"Woof.

Me too.

London is useless. Worst than Belfast! I am currently left without any medications and going nuts cos the psychiatrist will not listen to me."

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds the system difficult/impossible in London. Crap isn't it? I just wished I'd realised it years and years ago and sorted myself out then. Not much point in regretting i suppose. Be interested to hear what ways you find to cope...

Also interested to hear your experience with the psychiatrist. (I've only been able to get to see one quite occasionally, and don't even have one at all at the moment. And I'm torn between whether i should try and see one. So would be interested to hear your experiences.)

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 7:49pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
It's up to you, really. It is an enormous hassle though, when they don't listen, you can't get appointments, etc.

However if you need meds, try again.

As for how I cope, at the moment, I don't. I am fighting tooth and nail for help but they are really amazingly useless. I am aware that if my treatment isn't sorted soon I am going to die. I am starting to become rather resigned about that.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Mar 15th, 2007 8:43pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Holmes was standing by the mantlepiece, mulling over a small piece of paper on which was the inscription -

"tweeky wuppet wrote... I think I quoted you by mistake..."

With a morphine-induced look of satisfaction in his eyes, he turned to me and said "Watson, do you feel like a trip out to the country, Coulsden to be precise?

I replied with alacrity "I do, Holmes, but tell me, what would be the purpose of our journey there?", looking enquiringly at the the scrap in his hand.

"Watson, a quote has gone missing! "

I stared, shocked, at him. - "What, in Coulsdon?"

"No! Inspector LeStrade's aunt serves a mean cherry rum trifle at this time of the day"

And so began the strange case of Streaky Guppet's missing quotation....

I think the moral of this is that people make mistakes, no problem where evidently none was meant. Strange but true.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 9:08pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Someone mentioned that they were able to download the doc somewhere online...? anyone have a link?

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 9:40pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Someone mentioned that they were able to download the doc somewhere online...? anyone have a link?

I got it with BitTorrent.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon Mar 19th, 2007 9:42pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
aww thanks, ill try that

meekychuppet

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:31am Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Crazy: I can upload to my fileserver for you to download if you like. Do you have a broadband connection?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 4:06pm Post subject: The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive - Repeat
Aww thanks Meeky, but I got it on the bitTorrent thing. It worked a treat and I watched it last night. I was so touched by it....