Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 12:40pm Post subject: The series as a whole
Loved it! It was a bit short though, I think 50 states in 6 programmes seemed a bit rushed. It could easily have made a good, entertaining 12 part series.

gjhsu

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 5:13pm Post subject: The series as a whole
Or 50-part

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 5:22pm Post subject: The series as a whole
Or 50-part

Yeah, that way they could fit the Deleware episode between the news and weather!

rosiebee

Posted Fri Dec 5th, 2008 8:29pm Post subject: The series as a whole
It was a great series, alas far too short. Sometimes I felt we were just being introduced to a state when we moved to a new one.

I and partner would have liked to have seen much more of the off beat and wild stateside places. We thought a programme a state would not have been out of the question.

adidas_fella

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 1:33pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I agree, it was far too short but had me gripped from beginning to end of each and every episode.

Stephen has that unique ability to capture an audience from the very beginning then draw them in and keep them there. I want to be Stephen Fry (although in many ways of likeness, I already am!)

jordache

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 3:48pm Post subject: The series as a whole
Loved the series. It is a dream of mine to visit the USA one day, especially Boston where my Uncle lived. Stephen's tour by black cab brought the places alive and I felt as though I was traveling along too. It reinforced my perception of Mr General American, that they live and wish live, in a simple, no nonsense, open society, devoid of that great British pass-time: the Put Down. The ridicule of everything different or successful. The scorn of those who choose their own pathways through life rather than weaseling, patronizingly, along the common highway.

Gardenhead

Posted Mon Dec 8th, 2008 9:50pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I enjoyed the entire series immensely, and was sad to see it end: beautifully written, spoken and indeed shot. Wonderful.

Jeneva

Posted Mon Dec 15th, 2008 6:32pm Post subject: The series as a whole
But I agree that it was too short. One show per state might have been enough, but several states per show meant too little time spent in each one. Also, I didn't get to see the last episode, so I missed one of my home states.

I think Stephen Fry should narrate every single documentary and travel show created from now until the day he dies, which I hope is far, far in the future. I would gladly watch him read the phone book.

Dan B

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 8:06pm Post subject: The series as a whole
As a resident of the state of Arkansas, i was eagerly waiting to see what Stephen would have to show and say about my home state. I just finished watching the third episode, and i have mixed feelings about it. I was rather disappointed that the only mention of Arkansas was seemingly for the sole purpose of meeting the requirement of visiting all 50 states. Nothing of the state at all was shown or spoken about. I did feel vindicated however, when the only town in Indiana he showed was a place i visit regularly, as it is where my mother lives, and it is near the city most of my family is from.

Overall, i am quite enjoying the series, and looking forward the next three episodes, and to watching Last Chance To See when it airs next year.

ChipChip

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 9:27pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I was indeed glued to the television whenever it was on.

I presume that it was only six episodes because the BBC thought that anything that went on for longer would have been too long to keep the interest of the viewers.
A shame indeed that it wasn't longer. But I'm afraid thats television and we must take the good with the bad when it comes to Mr. Fry's TV works.

Musical.moment

Posted Mon Dec 22nd, 2008 11:10pm Post subject: The series as a whole
Definately could have been longer theres jsut so much information, the book is very interesting!

I hope that the next documentary is longer,

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 2:16pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I presume that it was only six episodes because the BBC thought that anything that went on for longer would have been too long to keep the interest of the viewers.

That attitude wouldn't surprise me....:(

Assuming direct control...

IdeaCollector

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 9:15am Post subject: The series as a whole
I got the book for Christmas which is epic thus far!

Love reading about how he went around with Celia Dunn in Savannah...I miss being there and everytime I passed one of her signs I wondered what she looked like.

*giggles*

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 5:41pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I got the book for Christmas which is epic thus far!

Love reading about how he went around with Celia Dunn in Savannah...I miss being there and everytime I passed one of her signs I wondered what she looked like.

*giggles*

Love Savannah!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Roxy641

Posted Tue Dec 30th, 2008 11:22pm Post subject: The series as a whole
I would have voted for a 50-part series too But even SIX seemed far
too short and rushed to cover every single state in America.

Roxy641

Loved it! It was a bit short though, I think 50 states in 6 programmes seemed a bit rushed. It could easily have made a good, entertaining 12 part series.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously". OSCAR WILDE.