Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Kat

Posted Fri Feb 2nd, 2007 9:17pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
Hi everyone need a little help.
i have a presentation in english to give and i love Mr fry and have decided to do my presentation on the star's tennis balls (i love this book). so if anyone has any views to add on the story, the style of writting, Well just anything really i think that will help me alot, i like having other people's different point of views, no one else thinks to do that in our class.
thanks
kt xx

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Feb 2nd, 2007 9:22pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
Writing the title of the work correctly would be a good idea, for starters. Otherwise you risk people thinking your report is about Anna Kournikova or something...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Feb 3rd, 2007 8:47am Post subject: the star's tennis balls
Writing the title of the work correctly would be a good idea, for starters. Otherwise you risk people thinking your report is about Anna Kournikova or something...

Don´t bother about other opinions before you´ve made your own. Re-read the book, read Dumas´ The Count of Monte Christo, check out the connections between both novels and try to find some reviews. Good Luck

Canzonett

Posted Sun Feb 4th, 2007 7:43pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
Agree. Give us your point of you, and we give you ours. Fair trade, I would say. But don't expect bumping into any oral presentation free-of-charge ghostwriters here ...

Kat

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 12:37am Post subject: the star's tennis balls
well i've given some back ground on Mr fry, then i wrote a little about the genre and the style of writting and i've looked at the journey that ned takes through the book. but i wanted to write something about how he ends the book the same as the beginning because i find the ending really emotional and sad.
xx

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Feb 6th, 2007 12:59am Post subject: the star's tennis balls
well i've given some back ground on Mr fry, then i wrote a little about the genre and the style of writting and i've looked at the journey that ned takes through the book. but i wanted to write something about how he ends the book the same as the beginning because i find the ending really emotional and sad.
xx

We're still in the dark as to what precisely it was you wrote.

yeeaaaaah!!

Posted Thu Apr 19th, 2007 7:55pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
i cannot really offer you any help but id just like to say:
i adore that book.

karoliina

Posted Fri Apr 20th, 2007 11:23pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
I read that book a while ago - and it struck me how the complete tone of the book changed as it went along. I can't remember another book that had so clear shift from light comedy to something quite disturbingly dark ,that made a huge impression on me.

I'm not sure if that is of any help, but at least I got my word in this topic!!!!

brightondebs

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 2:20pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
I found this book horribly depressing. I adored all his other novels but I felt with this one there wasn't one single character with any redeeming qualities whatsover. By the end it just feels hopeless. I found that strange when his other novels always offered hope/redemption at the end. I wondered how depressed Stephen was feeling when he wrote it! In fact, I felt so strongly about it that when I met Stephen at a book signing for this novel I had a go at him - doh! Now I just wish I had kissed his feet instead.

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
I found the Count of Monte Christo in no way less depressing, so in my opinion the mood is part of both the 'original' and the adaption. What shocked me, however, is the graphical depiction of violence in the stars' tennis balls. Not to the detriment of the book. Though Maddstone does terrible things I can fully understand his wrath, though I don't approve of the methods of his revenge. Altogether a very gripping novel.

In fact, I felt so strongly about it that when I met Stephen at a book signing for this novel I had a go at him - doh! Now I just wish I had kissed his feet instead.

Now I'm curious. What did you say, how did he react?

brightondebs

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 3:51pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
I said pretty much what I said above, that I felt quite angry that he'd left the reader with no hope. I can't remember exactly what he said - it was all a blur and I was focussed on just trying to remember to breathe - but I think it was along the lines of him laughing and saying he'd try and make the next one have a happier ending. (While secretly questioning why they let these lunatics in no doubt).

Phlizz

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 12:14am Post subject: the star's tennis balls
I really like the book, I think it is one of the most powerful things that I have read. I only read it by accident too. I was living in France last year and had just finished "Moab" (yeah, I know, I'm a late starter) and loved it and "The Stars Tennis Balls" was one of only about 5 books in English that they had in the municipal library, so I thought I'd give it a go. At the time I had not read "The Count of Monte Christo" but oddly enough my flatmate was trying to get through it at the same time that I was reading "Balls" (is that the correct shortened title? *snigger*)

I can totally understand why you might not like it - it's not a bit of light entertainment - but for me the way in which quite sensitive subject matter was written was just lovely.

Uhh, hi everyone by the way! This is my first post - as you can see *points to post-count*

El
xxx

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 8:05pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
5 days and 37 posts later
But what a debut posting under "Balls" Welcome aboard, Phlizz

Phlizz

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 11:32pm Post subject: the star's tennis balls
Ahem - yes! Thanks for the welcome - it's great to be here!

melampus

Posted Mon May 7th, 2007 2:21am Post subject: the star's tennis balls
What shocked me, however, is the graphical depiction of violence in the stars' tennis balls.

Yeah, that shocked me, too. Not just the violence, but the cruelty -- the psychological violence is just as bad, if not worse, than the physical stuff.

It wasn't what I expected at all. Mind you, I read the book in one (long) sitting -- I just couldn't put it down. 'The Liar' is like that, too -- lots of psychological discomfort, only in a heavier disguise. And I couldn't put THAT down, either!!