Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fleetsnodd

Posted Sun Apr 27th, 2008 4:04pm Post subject: THE STARS TENNIS BALLS/REVENGE - Could Maddstone Rise Again?
TSTB/R is, in my opinion, a superb up-dating of the classic ‘The Count of Monte Cristo’. What I wish now would be for SF to follow even closer in the footsteps of Alexander Dumas and produce a sequel that chronicled the further adventures of Ned Maddstone/Simon Cotter. However, being a finicky old goat, I would prefer that it were based more on the ‘Champion of the Underdog’ theme of the (very) old Monte Cristo TV series rather than the more political backdrop of the Dumas sequel ‘Edmond Dantes’.

But that’s just my preference.

Could there be a sequel to TSTB/R? SHOULD there be one? If so, on what theme should it be based? Personally I think there is a lot of mileage left in Ned Maddstone/Simon Cotter. What do you think?

ImeldaLumos

Posted Fri May 15th, 2009 11:57am Post subject: THE STARS TENNIS BALLS/REVENGE - Could Maddstone Rise Again?
No, I think we're doing fine, leaving Simon Cotter/Ned on that ferry back to mental hospital alá Sweden, because that's how it ends, isn't it? My memory starts to faint rapidly - it was a long time ago since I read it.
Anyway, as far as my thoughts can drag me backwards, I'm sure that I, personally, don't think a sequel would be the greatest creation, or, good mentioning, the highest prioritized idea on Fry's agenda.

I do love the book, though! A captivating book, filled with thoughts and inspiration, and interesting characters that was stuck in my mind a long time. My mum borrowed it and she, almost literally, had the book glued to her hands an entire day; completely enthralled by the rhythm and the plot which the book provides.
Simon Cotter, somehow, was ghastly similar to Willy Wonka, picturing him in my head. Almost like a likeness.

General Dogsbody

Posted Sat Jul 18th, 2009 11:56pm Post subject: THE STARS TENNIS BALLS/REVENGE - Could Maddstone Rise Again?
No I don't think there should be a sequel as the whole point of the count of Monte Christo was that vengance doesn't get you what you want, a point that is entirely lost on Hollywood and the Gerrard Depadue (sic?) series, No he doesn't get Mercedes/Portia back Albert is not his son, they do not live happily ever after. He has his revenge but it doesn't change anything. It's a decent moral to have to a story
Thankfully it wasn't lost on Mr Fry as The Stars tennis balls is the best adaptation of the original I've seen or read