Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 9:17am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I love browsing through book stores and looking at all the interesting titles before I settle for one which I carry home full of anticipation. But every so often a book that initially looked so promising turns out as a huge disappointment and remains half-read. What are the books you started to read full of excitement and eventually put down full of disappointment?

A few of mine are
- Umberto Eco, Baudolino.
- Robert Musil, The Man without Qualities. Considered by so many as a true classic and even 'cult', I just never 'clicked'.
- Lawrence Norfolk, Lemprières Dictionary.
- Sten Nadolny, The Discovery of Slowness.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Mar 12th, 2007 4:31pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
- John Fowles, The Magus. Actually I finished it, out of sheer inertia, but it did turn out to be a huge disappointment.

- Anything written by Viktor Pelevin after 1999. The man just lost his magic. He seems to have run out of things to say just at the time when his books were in most demand; so he writes more than ever now, and all of it is unmitigated supercilious crap.

- Rock-n-roll by Tom Stoppard. Not a novel, but whatever. Unbelievably bad. Almost weirdly so. It's as if he'd written it in school between classes and kept it back until now. Not even a hint of that Stoppard magic. This one I actually did stop reading halfway, because my faith in Stoppard's powers could only take so much abuse.

Canzonett

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 9:46am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings. - I began digging my way through those bricks of books when I was about 12 years old and put the first one down after having tortured myself through 400 pages or so. Managed to make it throuth the whole trilogy some years later, but am still not that convinced ...

Umberto Eco, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana.
Brilliant beginning, accelerating tediosity.

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 3:57pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
JRR Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings. - I began digging my way through those bricks of books when I was about 12 years old and put the first one down after having tortured myself through 400 pages or so. Managed to make it throuth the whole trilogy some years later, but am still not that convinced ...

A-fucking-men. I just *don't* understand the appeal of those bloody books. I read and loved The Hobbit when I was nine, but the actual series I just can't get through.

Ender's Game is another one. Almost everyone I know is nuts about it.

agatharauhala

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 7:06pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Well...

any Dan Brown book works like a sedative on me. No idea why but his books are just so boring! I have been able to read brick sized books since I was big enough to hold those but these ones... I could only get to the page 8.

Another one is a Finnish classic called "Alastalon salissa" (In the Main Room of the House Called Alastalo) by Volter Kilpi. The book is about 6 hours of a certain day and it has like 1000 pages or something. Too much details and since it has been written in the free flowing idea way, it is also difficult to read. But it was chosen to be the most important book since Finland got its independence...

So I should read it one day. But seriously, 70 pages of the book are just about the man of the house choosing which pipe to smoke that day?!?! Like what the heck, 70 pages!

Also on the list of the books I did not finish is Economics by John Sloman. X-D

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 7:55pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Growing Up Poor in London by Louis Heren. My boyfriend and I both feel the same about this book. The first half was really good, him talking about his life as a child but once he started working for The Times it got boring and couldn't hold our attention at all.

Longest Day by Mike Collier. It's a Dr Who book, one of the early 8th Doctor ones. I love the 8th Doctor novels but this one was terrible. It was so dull I ended up struggling to read any of it and eventually gave up on it.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:03pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

A-fucking-men. I just *don't* understand the appeal of those bloody books. I read and loved The Hobbit when I was nine, but the actual series I just can't get through.

I have to admit that I love Tolkien, especially The Lord of the Rings.

Canzonett

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:13pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I, on the other hand, loved Baudolino.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:20pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I just remembered two other books I really was disappointed with - Dubliners by James Joyce and a book of short stories by Rudyard Kipling. Just couldn't get into either of them. Robinson Crusoe was particularly bad as well, my boyfriend warns me that Swiss Family Robinson is just as dire. Endless pages describing how the characters built a hut and other boring rubbish.

I liked Lord of the Rings as well. I liked The Silmarillion, Tales From The Perilous Realm and The Hobbit as well. I thought they were pretty good books.

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2007 8:20pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I, on the other hand, loved Baudolino.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 2:46pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley. I actually stopped and threw it across the room. I had tried and enjoyed LSD myself and I thought that Huxley's thoughts on the matter were sheer poppycock.
I finished TekWar by William Shatner but it was awful. The man simply cannot write.
Neuromancer by William Gibson is nothing but a third rate straight-to-video plot.
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett wasn't a patch on Raymond Chandler. Hammett may have been a real private eye, but Chandler was a real writer.
Oh, and for some reason I can't seem to finish Maskerade by Terry Pratchett. I've devoured practically every other Discword novel but this one simply drags for me.

On the positive side I would strongly reccommend the historical works of Christopher Hibbert and Antonia Fraser, especially her book about the gunpowder plot.

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 2:48pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Finn - have you read Leena Krohn?

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 4:03pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I couldnt get the whole LOTR also... I usually read going to bed and those books needed concentration and effort to read them.

Britannicus

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 9:16am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Of course, that may have had something to do with me falling asleep a few chapters in and having the...most bizarre dreams, that I have been unable to look at the book properly since.

And the Lord of the Rings series, as has been mentioned.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Phlizz

Posted Mon May 14th, 2007 8:39pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Ohhh I loved The Hitchhikers Guide - Douglas Adams is teh win

I didn't like The Time Traveler's Wife or Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell