Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Britannicus

Posted Sat May 19th, 2007 1:22am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I'm going to need to renew my books at the library, or else all of them are going to end up Unread. God I'm lazy.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Aoibheann

Posted Sat May 19th, 2007 1:27am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
James Joyce.... Ulysses..... im getting there... slowly but surely.. beautiful book..

ShaylaMorris

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 7:32am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
The Second Five books of the Amber Stories by Roger Zelany also known as the Merlin Stories. Love the first five books but can not for the life of me finish the last five.

The Old Man and the Sea. The only high school book I could not get in to to read.

I loved Nicholas Nickelby read it in Jr high at 14 years old. My English teacher could not belive I could read such a thick book. X-D

Britannicus

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 7:54am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
The Old Man and the Sea? That's hilarious, I was exactly the opposite -- that was the only English class book that I bothered to read without the added threat of torture looming over my head. A River Runs Through It still gives me nightmares. Though even that was not as bad as... *gulp* The Great Gatsby. NOOOOooooooooo...aaaghhhsfdslksjlsd... <= Death cries. Uttered after discovering that this book was somehow considered to be The Great American Novel... X-D ... ...

"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 10:29am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I didn't think Gatsby was that bad. I still think the best American novel I read was "The Bonfire of the Vanities" by the great Tom Wolfe. What would YOU consider to be 'the Great American Novel' Britannicus?

Aoibheann

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 4:42pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Bonfire of the vanities is a great book. my brother bought it for me ages ago for my birthday. not sure what that says...

still a cracking book. must root it out.

Aoibheann

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 4:53pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Oh... just thought of one.. two books that are amazing and great American books...

A million little pieces, James Frey... i adore this book.. i always keep it beside my bed.. amazingly moving book. beautiful. cried a lot reading.. cause it is relatable in some ways.

As i lay dying, William Faulkner... what a story. made me cry quite a few times.. oh dear.. i do that a lot.. its really wonderfull though. it shows you things.

so go have a looky for them.. gorgeous books!

Britannicus

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 7:06pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I didn't think Gatsby was that bad. I still think the best American novel I read was "The Bonfire of the Vanities" by the great Tom Wolfe. What would YOU consider to be 'the Great American Novel' Britannicus?

I wouldn't consider anything the Great American Novel. I think that sort of labelling is...well, I won't get into just what I think of that. Gatsby might've been okay if it hadn't been put to us students under the shadow of "BEST BOOK EVER!!!" and "You're a great lump of common mildew if you don't like this!" and "30-PAGE TEST AT THE END! YAAAY!" Ah well. Those days are good and over with.

...But really, I don't think I would've liked it even if I'd been denied books for three years straight and then that was the first thing of the written word offered to me. Like a starving person given a slab of cardboard wrapped in seaweed.

Norfolkian

Posted Sun May 27th, 2007 8:27pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
- John Fowles, The Magus. Actually I finished it, out of sheer inertia, but it did turn out to be a huge disappointment.

Oh my God, I totally agree! I finished it too, but, dear God...

There's a book by A.S. Byatt called The Biographer's Tale, which I've tried to read three times now and have never managed to get more than about 30 pages in... I do want to read it, as it strikes me as having some interesting ideas in it, but for some reason it just doesn't hold my attention - and I don't really know why!

Britannicus

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 9:11am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Sigh... My library books are due tomorrow. I read one and a half of them. They sat collecting dust for most of the six weeks they lived with me. Bad me.

Ernest Worthing

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 5:16pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Sigh... My library books are due tomorrow. I read one and a half of them. They sat collecting dust for most of the six weeks they lived with me. Bad me.
I suffer from the same illness. Constantly getting about ten books from the library and never getting around to reading them because I always end up buying another ten from cheap bookshops after withdrawing them and reading those instead...There are just too many books in this world!

Britannicus

Posted Thu Jun 14th, 2007 6:11pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
There are. And life's just not long enough to read them all. It sucks.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Jun 15th, 2007 10:42am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
There are. And life's just not long enough to read them all. It sucks.

I know, there's so much I want to read but there seems to be less and less time all the time for me to read. It's driving me mad.

Assuming direct control...

Britannicus

Posted Fri Jun 15th, 2007 9:16pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Ooh! One of my unread books is about to lose its un and gain a more meaningful read. I got Hitckhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the library, but the audio CDs this time, which is read by you-know-who. I'm going to need something to entertain me, anyway, as I must do a diskcheck scan on my computer and that will take a century. Yet another hard drive is about to bite the dust. Only five months old, too. Why do they hate me so?

stomper4x4

Posted Fri Jun 15th, 2007 10:35pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I tried to read Ulysses, but I think the idea that it's this brilliant, complex book stymied me. I just couldn't do it!

I work at a library and still check out tons of stuff that I never read, I just don't have to pay overdue fines on it!