Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Britannicus

Posted Sat Jun 16th, 2007 5:07am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
X-D I couldn't read that one either. That's one of those my friend put me up to. She also bet me that I wouldn't be able to read War and Peace. She was right.

Weird...now that I think about it...I've never actually seen her read any book other than the Da Vinci Code. Hmm. I think I'll have to do some daring of my own.

You are lucky, lucky, lucky about the late fees. I would kill for that!

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Jun 17th, 2007 9:31pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I tried to read Ulysses, but I think the idea that it's this brilliant, complex book stymied me. I just couldn't do it!

I work at a library and still check out tons of stuff that I never read, I just don't have to pay overdue fines on it!

I tried several times but always got bogged down after the Telemachus section. So I took a class on it. That helped. Our professor was pretty cool: huge guy with jet-black hair and beard, appropriately named Stephen. He was actually a pathologist in the university hospital - teaching literature was something like a hobby. He brought these collossal stacks of notes to class. Once, he even brought a tape deck, to play the fourth movement of Beethoven's 9th to us - it tied into the text somehow...

In short, it's pretty much impossible to read without a teacher or at least a very detailed guide book.

amcpep

Posted Mon Jun 18th, 2007 9:42pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Life of Pi - Yann Martel. Ugh. Tried three times to read it, finally read it because I couldn't stand that thought that a book had defeated me. Read it and immediatly gave it to my Dad who loved it. Ah well, takes all sorts.

Also, the weirdest book I forced myself to finish reading was The Book of Dave by Will Self. I still don't understand what was going on. It jumps around and by the third chapter I was already having to re-read bits to see who was what, or who would turn out to be who....

And I'd like to join the ranks of "Never-Read-The-Lord-Of-The-Rings" despite having tried several times over the past 20 or so years.

keats

Posted Wed Oct 17th, 2007 8:15pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
i really struggled with moby dick, but im not quite ready to give up on it yet. i hope to revisit it some time in the future.

Eastend Girl

Posted Thu Oct 18th, 2007 7:13am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Someone bought The Alchemist for me and I couldn't get through it so have never bothered with any of Paolo Cohelo's other books. Don't know what all the fuss is about which is often the way when everyone else is raving about him!

Lord of the Rings - still trying!

Saturn

Posted Mon Oct 22nd, 2007 10:29pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I will never ever ever ever read either The Da Vinci Code, or any Harry bloody Potter book.....

So kill me....

I said it.

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 2:02am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I will never ever ever ever read either The Da Vinci Code, or any Harry bloody Potter book.....

So kill me....

I said it.

I read three Potter books in my quest to understand why the hell people are so into them. I still don't get it.

And Dan Whatsit can suck my metaphoric whatsit.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 3:30am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

So kill me....

I said it.

i've never read them either.

i might have liked it when i was a kid, so they can keep that fun to themselves, and i'll be happy to be the adult who goes "dumbewhoodit? what?" and they all laugh.

i haven't been able to finish "the magic mountain." i want to... but something always happens to interrupt it.

Saturn

Posted Tue Oct 23rd, 2007 8:57am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Yeah I think if I was ten years old I'd probably enjoy Harry Potter.

I find it strange that adults who would never normally read at all are suddenly to be seen reading HP books.

What's that all about?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 4:15pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

I find it strange that adults who would never normally read at all are suddenly to be seen reading HP books.

What's that all about?

My mum. She never ever read books even at school until she read the Harry Potter books. Now she's always reading those womeny books with the pastel covers you find in supermarkets and WHSmiths.

I thought the film Da Vinci Code sucked so last thing I'm going to do is read the book. Harry Potter "roxors the big !!!1111!!111!!" I like reading children's books when they are good. A Series of Unfortunate Events is particularly good and there are two new Worst Witch books that's been published in the last three years that I'm wanting to read.

Assuming direct control...

Saturn

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 9:45pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
What's wrong with Roald Dahl?

If you are going to read Children's books read the master

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Oct 24th, 2007 9:59pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I've re-read all of those too. There's one that's been lying around on my floor for weeks now (a special gold book with the missing chapters and characters from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory it's so cool you must read it). The Witches is my favourite.

Cherish the masters and embrace the new talent I say.

Assuming direct control...

whatonearth

Posted Thu Oct 25th, 2007 10:48pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Hmm well I started reading Harry Potter when I was 12 and have read each one and I'm now 21...but I've always enjoyed reading so does that somehow make it better? Whatever. I love Harry Potter and as much as I resisted when the films first came out, at the moment I enjoy it all and I'm just sad the series is over. Apart from the films. So there you are.

Er, as for disappointments...I started reading The Ruby In The Smoke by Philip Pullman a few years ago after reading His Dark Materials and I was very disappointed by that. As for 'grown up' books, I'd say The Trial by Kafka, I never finished that. I didn't finish A Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man either, but I think that may have been partly due to ignorance/uni pressures. Tristram Shandy is at this moment lying next to my bed, less than 100 pages in, although again I think I really need to give it another chance and allow myself to settle down with it for a few hours.

Oh and Lord Of The Rings, of course. I gave up during The Two Towers (I think) when it just started getting interesting as Mordor was in sight, and then Faramir or whoever it was showed up, or someone anyway, and the next 100 pages were all about the history of that family or whatever, I can't even remember now, and I just thought sod this for a game of soldiers and put it back on the shelf.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 31st, 2007 3:01pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

What's that all about?

As Terry Pratchett said - "Fantasy is like an exercise bicycle for the mind. It doesn't geyt you anywhere, but it exercises the muscles that do."

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Oct 31st, 2007 3:46pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

What's that all about?

but shouldnt it be commended, despite the fact you arnt interested or dont like or hate Harry Potter or those damn pastel covered chick-lit books, that it is getting people reading?! They are enjoying reading books - good books or bad books - but books all the same.

I personally love all the Harry Potter books, I also love fantasy of all kinds, the classics, children's books and any decent general fiction or reality books that take my interest. But I dont generally read crime or chick-lit, I dont like it. dosnt mean noone else can though....