Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 31st, 2007 9:58pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
my current boss somehow got overlooked all through school when growing up... she couldn't read... even in fourth and fifth grade... (10, 11 years old) she somehow hid it for years.

at some point, teachers discovered this and she was put on a fast track to get literate. she told me the FIRST book she wanted to read was wuthering heights! i don't know why, i don't think she remembers either. she worked so so hard and finally finished it. she laughs when she tells this story... that wuthering heights was really the first book she ever read.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sat Nov 3rd, 2007 2:48am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Love that, thats a fantastic story. and how brave was she to learn to read after everyone else in the class had moved past that....

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu Nov 8th, 2007 7:39pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books

I personally love all the Harry Potter books, I also love fantasy of all kinds, the classics, children's books and any decent general fiction or reality books that take my interest. But I dont generally read crime or chick-lit, I dont like it. dosnt mean noone else can though....

I don't like chick lit either. My mum reads that stuff and whenever I look at the back they all sound the same to me so I always struggle to find her something new as a present unless she mentions a specific title or author. Other than that I'll read any book that sounds interesting to me. I'm not one to stick rigidly to a select few genres or books targeted at my age group.

Assuming direct control...

busy clippers

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 2:43am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Books That I Will Never Read*

Any book in which the main character is getting her groove back
Any book in which the author is too lazy to invent characters, instead making up nonsense about real people ("Michaelangelo: Secret Agent"...NO!)
Any book in which children learn to be wizards
Any book which is a modern sequel to a classic. (Tom Jones: The Day After...NO!)
Any book in which persons carve out a hardscrabble life on the frontier
Any novelization of a film.

There will be more. Someone said to me today, "Cormac Macarthy is the best American novelist writing today," so I may have a rant coming up about that.

*unless someone issues a fatwah against me, in which case I will probably have to read everything just to keep from climbing the walls

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 2:54am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
Books That I Will Never Read*

Any book in which the main character is getting her groove back
Any book in which the author is too lazy to invent characters, instead making up nonsense about real people ("Michaelangelo: Secret Agent"...NO!)
Any book in which children learn to be wizards
Any book which is a modern sequel to a classic. (Tom Jones: The Day After...NO!)
Any book in which persons carve out a hardscrabble life on the frontier
Any novelization of a film.

There will be more. Someone said to me today, "Cormac Macarthy is the best American novelist writing today," so I may have a rant coming up about that.

*unless someone issues a fatwah against me, in which case I will probably have to read everything just to keep from climbing the walls

gussie, does that mean hulk hogan's autobiography is a possibility for you?

p.s. who plays hard scrabble on the frontier?

busy clippers

Posted Thu Nov 29th, 2007 3:28am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
the folks on the frontier cain't spell fur shit, so all scrabble's hard
Hulk Hogan - don'tcha just love how his real name is Terry? It reminds me of "A Boy Named Sue." (or Sued for Divorce)

Flight of ideas, anyone?!??!?!

EDIT: I also don't read asylum or jail memoirs.

ninjaduck

Posted Fri Dec 7th, 2007 8:33pm Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I just want to say that I love Douglas Adams' book 'Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency' and have read the whole thing, but never in one go. I start off ok, manage a few chapters, put it down to do something, pick it up later at a random page and start reading. Having done this about 5 times, I guess I've probably read every page now, just in the wrong order.
I also read things backwards - not usually new books, but books I've read before or newspaper and magazine articles.
Does anyone else do that?
Or am I just special?

JSKanga84

Posted Fri Feb 8th, 2008 4:38am Post subject: The Thread Of Unread Books
I've read bits and pieces of books like that before, but I doubt I've gone through the whole book that way. Or I have and I just haven't realized it!