Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

nickb123

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 1:29pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
I'm not normally the kind of person who gets infuriated by people on the telly-box, but in this case I make an exception. Check out this woman off American show "The View" discussing the election of Barack Obama:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GOTu8Wztj1w

OK, so I watched this woman discuss what the election meant for her as a black woman, and how she could look at her son and say "no limitations" and that the day was a shining beacon of democracy and equality, etc etc. It's a very moving thing to say, and encompassed the mood of the nation.

However, a few days later, this same woman is speaking of her support for Proposition 8, the banning of gay marriage in California, and of her religious views which are against such. How can someone who is so passionate for the equality of one group be actively involved in the subjugation of another? How can someone who has faced prejudice in the eye not realise the effect she causes by perpetuating it onto others?

She almost made me well up with her Obama speech, yet what she said later was what really got me going. Why do we have such disingenuous hypocrites in the world? Why isn't there a cure for moronism yet? Why is it still frightening to think that people are still like this? (Not to get all early 40s Germany sensationalist on you all).

Katrina

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 6:51pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
Oh Lord, Sheri cracks me up with some of the crap she says! A while back she shared her deep thoughts on whether or not the Earth is flat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNC117UYsHs

Seriously, it's worth your time to watch old View clips. It will amuse you greatly. X-D

Open to suggestions as to what my sig should consist of...

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 7:47pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
Exactly, and that's why it's called The View, they need her pov, skewed as it is. I'm not saying anyone here is doing it but I often wonder why some people seem to think that because a people endured or survived one particular social injustice, or a crime against humanity, that they must somehow be sensitive to or tolerant of other stuff. That's an ideal that sadly isn't a reality.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

keymaker

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 9:57pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
How can someone who is so passionate for the equality of one group be actively involved in the subjugation of another?
Yeah, I mean the problem was that they went for marriage which isn't really a pre-condition of equality whereas if they had aimed for British-style civil unions the voters would probably have accepted it.

km

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 10:25pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
How can someone who is so passionate for the equality of one group be actively involved in the subjugation of another?
Yeah, I mean the problem was that they went for marriage which isn't really a pre-condition of equality whereas if they had aimed for British-style civil unions the voters would probably have accepted it.

km

I believe California already has civil unions, or domestic partnership I think it's called, and neither of those is the same as marriage.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

nickb123

Posted Sat Dec 6th, 2008 11:08pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
I agree with what you say, perhaps they would have supported civil partnerships. A lot of the disagreement seemed to be around the religious view that the term marriage denotes union of a man and a woman as per the Bible, etc etc. I guess it's just your personal opinion of how you define marriage. I personally do not see marriage as a heterosexual thing, and I thought the etymology of the word predated Christian usage (though I'm not entirely sure). I think, however, the fact that marriage in California legally gives special entitlements regarding will and tax, there is no excuse for not giving those rights to gay couples.

And I take the point about it being simplistic to think someone who's faced prejudice should therefore be enlightened about it. It is a shame.

keymaker

Posted Sun Dec 7th, 2008 2:11pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
I agree with what you say, perhaps they would have supported civil partnerships.
Yeah civil partnerships on the British model would extend the same tax, property and succession rights to the parties as are enjoyed by husband and wife so if that's not the case in California there should be amending legislation to bring such partnerships into line with marriage.

km

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Dec 7th, 2008 4:16pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
California has this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_partnership_in_California

Walt Whitman

Katrina

Posted Sun Dec 7th, 2008 9:29pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
A lot of things about Prop 8 pissed me off, but the thing I hate the most is that all those marriages could be voided (like they were in CA in 2004). I mean, how could you do that to someone and live with yourself? If my parents wanted to get out of their marriage, the divorce would take months of negotiation, and there would be people along the way asking, "Are you sure?" and people would be asking me, "How do you feel about this?" These poor people will probably get their marriages voided, as if their commitments meant as much as kindergardeners getting married at recess. If you're going to take people's rights away, at least don't take away what they already have.

I think, or at least I hope, that in my lifetime gay marriage will become sort of a common sense thing, like interracial or interfaith marriages. Eventually, people will think it's weird that it was ever illegal or unacceptable. If individual religions want to make their own decisions about it, I don't have a problem with it; it's not the government's business. But on the legal side of things, there's no excuse not to have at least equal rights everywhere.

Nitro

Posted Sun Dec 7th, 2008 11:55pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
Sheri's views waffle and she supposedly represents a lightly conservative position on the show. But the white chick next to her, Elizabeth, is an absolute horror compared to the others. Elizabeth is, IMNSHO, an uptight, prudish little twit. I don't watch the show with any regularity, but the couple times I have caught it I am punished for my browsing there with her nasaly voice and whinings. I turned the channel right around the moment I began hoping she'd suddenly explode in a small cloud of dust. Clearly she is of the 'religious, conservative' bent and I admit that sort of perspective is one I feel little empathy for.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Dec 8th, 2008 12:40am Post subject: The View on Prop 8
If we are going to have people on TV who claim to be Christians can we please have people who aren't intolerant idiots. They do exist but apparently they make shite tv.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

keymaker

Posted Tue Dec 9th, 2008 9:12pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
... on the legal side of things, there's no excuse not to have at least equal rights everywhere.
When you add up all the income, value added and capital gains taxes people pay and all the overheads out of earned income such as the council tax and road tax there's hardly anything left so it seems bizarre that tax policy should be used as an instrument of discrimination to make some people even worse off than some others depending on their marital status. Having different tax and property breaks for married couples compared to everyone else is like having different levels of prize money based on gender as between men's and women's tennis at Wimbledon for example or for the separate races at the London Marathon and similar events which, quite rightly, is no longer the case.

km

Corona

Posted Thu Dec 11th, 2008 2:44pm Post subject: The View on Prop 8
I don't know much about the laws and tax rules in America. I don't actually understand much about ours etiher. What I do know is that America has more problems about there division than us. black and white couples are ordinary here. It looks like it is still something to be worked up about in America. What we have is moslems and christians getting there knickers in a twist over marriage. And there is a problem about Honour crime too with muslims.

Taking somebodys marriage off them after the ceremnoy is just cruel and it is an abuse. If you can do something to fight it you should. We are all people and we all deserve respect and kindness. The person should choose, not some stranger that never met them. That goes for the muslims and christians too with there silly arguments.

I gave up on churches years ago. They are worse than anybody for lies and double dealing.

IdeaCollector

Posted Sat Dec 13th, 2008 12:44am Post subject: The View on Prop 8

I gave up on churches years ago. They are worse than anybody for lies and double dealing.

Well some are. The church denomination I was raised in was one of the first to say that ordaining homosexual ministers is the right thing to do.

And several others are on the front lines fighting for homosexual rights. Just the negative is given a louder voice overall.

Prop 8 is shite especially for liberal California where they voted to give chickens more pen space b/c their current living conditions were substandard.

The ball has not only be dropped but it has also be kicked several hundred miles away.

One advert I saw about Prop 8 made a valid point though...perhaps a lot of people voted yes w/out realizing it was a ban.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/73d3e68e06/vote-n.....omotracker

oh and watch this epic video as well

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cca5e8a78a/protec.....than-smith

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Katrina

Posted Sat Dec 13th, 2008 6:08am Post subject: The View on Prop 8

One advert I saw about Prop 8 made a valid point though...perhaps a lot of people voted yes w/out realizing it was a ban.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/73d3e68e06/vote-n.....omotracker

oh and watch this epic video as well

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cca5e8a78a/protec.....than-smith

Loved both videos. The first one makes you wonder how many people that really did happen to, because I know when I first heard about prop 8 I did have to think for a second what a yes or no vote actually meant! :-// I especially enjoyed the Mac music in the background!

The second one just echoes what so many people I know have been saying! You want to protect the sanctity of marriage? Back it the eff up.