Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 3:36am Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
Some of the more sickening aspects of human history just never, ever stop repeating themselves.

Stalin-esque work camps exist in North Korea and, according to the article below, are responsible for the deaths of almost HALF A MILLION people. This type of behavior, these 'methods', are still being used by some group to control or eradicate another.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/030623/23gulag.htm

People say aliens have visited earth. I don't know about that but my personal opinion is that no advanced society has anything whatsoever to gain by 'visiting' us. If anything, some species so advanced that they can cross great distances of the universe, to have the technology and ability, are probably millions of years ahead of us in Evolution. We probably seem a violent, cruel, power hungry bunch of naked apes to them.

I won't see it in my lifetime probably, but I really do human beings had more self-respect than to behave like barborous, inbred, cross-eyed idiots.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 4:27pm Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
We can only hope things have been improved since this article was first published. But I'm not holding my breath.

TobiasMonk

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 8:48pm Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
To put it mildly, it's fubar, and I sure hope we can get those 2 journalists back.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 3:59am Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
Pam, the date of the article has nothing to do with the fact that they still exist. I'm sorry I didn't provide a more recent link but the thing is that this article was the most...um...intelligently written, put it that way. Primarily because it's next to impossible for outsiders to get anywhere near those places, much less roam around North Korea at will. It's very dangerous stuff for journalists in particular. The 'state' is very tightly controlled from the top down and, as the article indicates and is still true today, it's very difficult to verify sources ( e.g. someone who's managed to flee the country or escape from prison and flee the country ).

I'm a little disturbed more people didn't pay much attention to this thread and this story. We're talking about a modern day Holocaust going on, except it involves Asians and not Jews. It shouldn't matter. The same sick rationalizations are going on on all sides of the fence. Many of the allies didn't bother to get involved in WWII even with the knowledge of the death camps. What this tells me, as History often does tell me, is that people simply do not change. We might dress up our lives in some fashion with gadgets and entertainment and new fashions, but that darkness in the human soul continues to express itself. Which is why I say I wish as a species we would just grow the fuck up already!!

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 3:19pm Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
What this tells me, as History often does tell me, is that people simply do not change. We might dress up our lives in some fashion with gadgets and entertainment and new fashions, but that darkness in the human soul continues to express itself. Which is why I say I wish as a species we would just grow the fuck up already!!

Not that I want to stir up a hornet's nest, but the story can be related to the whole gun-control debate. I imagine you can see all the parallels, since we agree on that topic.

And no, people don't change. I love to read history and I can fine parallels throughout this story.

I didn't mean to imply that the article's age had anything to do with the facts of the story. I'm sorry about that.
Pam

Nitro

Posted Thu Jun 11th, 2009 5:14pm Post subject: The work camps of North Korea

Not that I want to stir up a hornet's nest, but the story can be related to the whole gun-control debate. I imagine you can see all the parallels, since we agree on that topic.

^5

And no, people don't change. I love to read history and I can fine parallels throughout this story.

I can't help but just sighing sometimes, as trite as that sounds. Millions of years of evolution, overcoming disease & environment, all the wars, socieities rising and falling, tool advancement....ya'd think by now...just by now...

I didn't mean to imply that the article's age had anything to do with the facts of the story. I'm sorry about that.
Pam

I've seen your posting 'style' several times and not for a minute did I think you were downplaying the tragedy of life for North Korean 'dissidents'. Or even the ones that tow the line.

BTW, I'd like to quote the late Jim Morrison ( who was probably quoting someone else lol ):

WAKE UP!!!!!

Really? Wow.

keymaker

Posted Thu Jun 18th, 2009 8:10am Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
Stalin-esque work camps... responsible for the deaths of almost HALF A MILLION people.
Yup, a crime against humanity. The contrast in behaviour between South Korea which has submitted to the jurisdiction of the ICC, and North Korea which hasn't, is conspicuous.

km

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 23rd, 2009 8:14pm Post subject: The work camps of North Korea
Oh North Korea...tsk tsk tsk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-.....e-Day.html

I adore the idea of a Utopian world ( ok, maybe 'adore's a bit strong ), but the reality is I don't think a majority of us as a species can quite pull off pacifism yet and ( grabbing further..), I think it's a primal thing not yet gone in us. Anyway..blech...

I do though kind of wish we'd tone down the finger-wagging publically towards them, but also know we can't be quiet either. If they sink one of our Navy's ships, it's gonna be war. I'd hate to be an admiral out there right now.Even if our air force could bomb the crap out of their missile sites, we don't have the standing army, number-wise, to occupy them after the fact. I guess SK and Japan could help with that but China might get miffed about Japan trapsing around there. I'd rather see that regime routed in some other way. If they sink one of our Navy's ships, it's gonna be war. And I'm worried that's what they're driving towards and really want.

War with them...others...

Interesting times eh?

Really? Wow.