Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Maxx England

Posted Wed Oct 7th, 2009 8:21pm Post subject: things i wish id done

As a general guide to learning, an acoustic is best, 1, because you never have to worry about finding a power source for an amplifier, 2, you can't bluff an acoustic. An electric allows you to make mistakes and hide them. An acoustic only plays what you put in, and if you can make mistakes on an acoustic and get away with them, then you have developed some real technique and ability.

Many brands around, but I tend to point newcomers at Yamaha products on the grounds that even the bottom of the range instruments are still good guitars in their own right. Yamaha have been in the business for well over 100 years, and have learned a bit along the way. Importantly for me, they do lefties as well as r/h.

Smaller bodied acoustics have less volume but sweeter voices generally. The neck is a matter of personal choice and hand size. A thick neck is claimed to give better tone (personally, I don't believe it) but if you have small hands then you need a neck you can work with. The fretboard can be flat or have a radius, and there are several different radii, again this is a matter of personal choice.

Any questions, post or pm, I'll answer what I can.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?