Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 8:34pm Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
You must know about Abelard since you're into philosophy Mr.Steed.

I have read nothing by any philosophers, nor any religious scriptures (not even the Bible).

I only know of the title "Abelard and Heloise" and that they were both students, but I couldn't tell you if it was a play, poem or novel or by whom. Oh, and I knew that Abelard existed (at least). Sorry, Nitro, but that's another gap in my knowledge.

*sigh*

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Mar 17th, 2009 1:58am Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
This was well explained in a marvelous book callled "Descartes' Bones."

Got it for Christmas, loved it!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Tue Mar 17th, 2009 2:50am Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
This was well explained in a marvelous book callled "Descartes' Bones."

Got it for Christmas, loved it!

It was marvelous, wasn't it? I do like the way it was written, in a sort of thriller fashion, neatly interspersed with tidbits of little-known history. It was one of those books that made me feel richer for reading it.

Nitro

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 12:16am Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
John, I think a lot of people get on to Peter Abelard because of his story w/Heloise. Anyway...if you're interested...

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/abelard/

Really? Wow.

Jarus

Posted Wed Mar 18th, 2009 11:14pm Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
I can never decide whether I like the vast amount of knowledge available to me, sometimes it feels insurmountable and I feel colossally stupid and at other times I just marvel that so much information can exist and be at my finger tips. I'm unhappy because I know my thirst for knowledge will never be truly quenched, but I'm also relieved that I'm not expected to know everything by the rest of the world.

So now it's time to roll the dice again and hope that I make the right choice.

I think I'll leave philosophy to the philosophers I have a hard enough time trying to live my life let alone understand the meaning of it

Edit: Also the way you describe that fellow John he sounds like the usual customer. Strange how people get away with being arrogant pricks when they're right isn't it?

Nitro

Posted Thu Mar 19th, 2009 1:07am Post subject: This alone I know, and that is the fact that I know nothing
I customer. Strange how people get away with being arrogant pricks when they're right isn't it?

ROFLMAO!! X-D

Really? Wow.