Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 12:30pm Post subject: This country's press make my blood boil!!!!!
A few weeks ago two people were hounded out of their jobs and one was suspended for a silly prank call (I listened to the show in question and it wasn't half as bad as it was made out to be, but thats another story) by the tabloids, led by The Mail and The Sun (oh how ironic that the Sun got its knickers in a twist about someone upsetting someone else!).
Now a little boy has been abused to death by three people, and the social services that worked with this little lad knew about it and had been in trouble before for letting another little kid down. Where's the public outcry, press-hounding, 30,000 complaints for this?! The press needs to get some bloody perspective!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!

gadgetgirl

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 1:20pm Post subject: This country's press make my blood boil!!!!!
I agree with the sentiment that we have some things grossly out of proportion in this country but I thought there had been an outcry personally. I can barely look at at the bbc website without seeing a picture of Baby P which is almost unbearable for me.

Unfortunately all that a lot of people want to seem to do is get someone sacked (as with the first problem) rather than sort out the mess that social services is in. Do you honestly think that a mass letter protest or personal hounding would be the correct way to deal with this? It's also of note that two days before this came to light I was hearing about a young girl who fled to Ireland so that she could keep her baby as social services were threatening to take it away after birth after filing a report full of grossly inaccurate information. There are a lot of problems in both directions and mass hysteria will not help sort it out.

That would be me.

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 2:10pm Post subject: This country's press make my blood boil!!!!!
No I don't think a mass-letter or sacking is the way to deal with it, which is kind of my point. The press try's and often succeeds in whipping people up into a frenzy over the most trivial of things. Which is where my point about perspective comes in. The kind of tirades we got a few weeks ago where entirely out of proportion to the crime.
Not a day goes by since the Baby P story came to light when I don't think about the poor little bairn, and you're right - sackings and such like aren't what's needed here. Whats needed is a massive inquiry into how it happened in the first place.
So going back to my original point, the press always bay for sackings when they know Joe Public will agree. Lets face it - Ross and Brand polarise people and always have, and the press pandered to that polarity and whipped people up. Perspective people, perspective.

Corona

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 4:41pm Post subject: This country's press make my blood boil!!!!!
I think that if anyone gets sacked it should be somebody high up. When things go wrong it is always the shop floor that suffers and the high ups who made the mistakes or let things go wrong underneath them get bonuses. Nothing will change in this country until everybody in an orgnisation has the same fear of losing there job and income when they fail not just the ordinary workers.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Nov 20th, 2008 5:29pm Post subject: This country's press make my blood boil!!!!!
With you 100%, been in too many places where the individuals responsible for poor organisation, low morale, inadequate equipment, obstructive behaviour etc. have been promoted or otherwise rewarded, whilst those of us left (in this case, all too literally), holding the baby get dumped on from a very great height.

Can't see it happening, though. Think it through, who's going to be responsible for framing and voting the legislation through? It'd be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?