Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Brant

Posted Sat Mar 28th, 2009 10:16pm Post subject: Three improvisations on Stephen Fry Podgrammes
One

I started listening to the podgrammes recently. I find them very amusing. Occasionally, SF says something that sends me off into my own serio-comical reveries.

It took me an entire podgramme (and then some) to realize what Hawa-eee-eee meant. It is Fry's deliciously pedantic pronunciation of Hawaii.

The result pleases me so much that I have made it my signature block. If you haven't watched the original George of the Jungle show 1,001 times, it might not be so funny as me. For myself, I can only say that it cheers me up to say "Tooky Tooky".

Go out and buy George of the Jungle on DVD (or Blu-Ray, if possible--don't get me started, though). Then you will be able to do my signature block justice by reading it with the right camp attitude and approximations of the voice actors' voices:

George: George not know anybody named Hawa-eek-eek.

Ape: There's a lot George doesn't know about geography.

George: No need to get snarky.

I am quoting from memory because I don't have my signature block in front of me--yet.

Two

Digital doodads.

Who can hear the word doodads and not think of Uncle Remus in Disney's The Song of the South?

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

Music by Allie Wrubel
Original Lyrics by Ray Gilbert
Performed by James Baskett
© 1945 Walt Disney Music Company

Digital Doodads
Original Lyrics by Brant
Copyright very much up in the air 2009

Digital doodads, digital-ay
My, oh my, what a wonderful day
Digital sunshine, headin' my way
Digital doodads, digital-ay!

CGS bird's on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actual
Ev'rything is satisfactual
Zip-e-a doodad, digital slave
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day, yes sir!

Parody is a wonderful thing. I learned during my ten years as a permanent student that the more minimalist it is, the better. I always say that some people are their own parodies. Perfect.

My parody of the American national anthem involves changing two letters: "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave" becomes "Land of the Free, Home of the Slave".

The fact that it is sung to the tune of an Eighteenth Century drinking song, "Ode to Anacreon in Heaven" with even worse lyrics and a tune that only works if you are drunk is par dessus le marché, as the French say.

(Repeat until you're sick of it)

Three

The Cozy Nostra sounds like a good name for a craft circle. Please post your Monty Python references below.

Not the Comfie Chair!

There's something like this in every podgramme. No matter how funny and witty Stephen Fry is, we still have to make our own fun, don't we? I find, however, that he's an excellent flint stone for the striking of comic sparks.

If I have any more flashes, I'll try to make a note of them. I walk to and from work and I find that podcasts are much less irritating than the radio or music. It makes my eyes cross to try to look at animated Dilbert or New Yorker cartoons whilest walking, but Stephen Fry, The Economist, the Financial Times and sometimes John Cleeves are good and the Canadian science news show, Quirks & Quarks is perfect--I can listen to half on the way to work and half on the way back.

If you want great ideas, steal them from cartoons and comics. They're ahead of avant garde art by about twenty to thirty years, and ahead of the rest of the world by a century.

I can prove that they're ahead of avant garde art. I have a copy of Cartoons About Modern Art: A Child of Six Could Do It, published by The Tate Gallery, 1973.

And as Stephen Fry very nearly points out in his podgramme on BBC funding, "Is it not written in the Talmud, “who will bring redemption - the jesters.”

Bart Simpson beat him to it, but I do agree that comedy is the most valuable service the BBC provides to the world, although the documentaries and the news are important too. The UK would not be the number one producer and exporter of television in the world without the BBC or British comedy.[/b]