Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

mazikeen

Posted Tue Jan 23rd, 2007 2:44pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
hey everybody,

when I was manic, I realised I was going to get depressed, so I tried to document for myself what I found beautiful, fascinating, ... and wrote it down in lists, poems,drawings, holistic theories, whatever (like others have done, I've seen here on the forum, mine are mostly in Dutch, so no use posting them)
But now, it all just seems silly (cynical smiley)

I would really like to know, aside from poetry and so on, how do you cope with the agony and despair you sometimes feel ?

I don't really know how to cope with it, but the little things I try are;
- I go every night on a walk with my dog (physical effort and stroking a pet should set off some endorfines or sth, I heard), and what I find pleasing is the fact that I can walk in dark, deserted places and feel no fear at all (what could possibly make me feel worse ? an encounter with a rapist ? a serial killer ? nope ) Then I realise I feel more free than I normally do
- i weigh myself every day and see that i lose weight, just like that, without any effort (for a woman, that counts for sth, because that's what they complain about all of the time)
- I smile to people and start small conversations, or make a friendly comments or compliments, (just as if I'm manic) and I think to myself: hey, at least I can pretend I'm in a happy mood and people get away with it
- I listen to 'Passive' from a perfect circle and I know who is my perfect enemy

Norfolkian

Posted Wed Jan 24th, 2007 11:29pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
It can be excruciatingly difficult to feel any better when one is in the pit of depression, but the things I sometimes try are:

- Calling a friend - don't always feel like it, but sometimes it can help.
- Having a bath.
- Listening to Radio 4 (something I can do in bed with my eyes closed, which always appeals!)
- Singing along to some favourite songs.

meekychuppet

Posted Thu Jan 25th, 2007 8:29am Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
1. Exercise. I cycle/go to the gym daily. A good bod is a nice side effect too.

2. Death metal. Very loud and heavy as hell.

3. Write. I blog everything and looking back is re-assuring.

4. Sex. Seriously. Endorphins and intimate bonding. Best pleasure there is.

5. Get outside in the country.

That's my therapy anyway.

mindsalot

Posted Thu Jan 25th, 2007 2:10pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
I wrote a post about how the effect of sleep is very important when managing both the manic and depressive phases of bi-polar, which may be of interest:

http://mindsalot.wordpress.com/2007/01/05/how-the-.....-disorder/

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Jan 25th, 2007 3:08pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times

2. Death metal. Very loud and heavy as hell.

Bela B., "Deutsche, kauft nicht bei Nazis." Free to download and headbang to.

trouser material

Posted Fri Jan 26th, 2007 12:26am Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
With a good, routine sleep pattern its AMAZING the difference it can make to your mood and mental stability.

I used to work shifts, say no more.

Cutting out alcohol and niccotine also alleviates the condition, but even kids know that these days.

Pablo

Posted Fri Jan 26th, 2007 5:32pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
When I'm down the things I like to do are...........
1/Go to the theatre.
2/Go to a comedy show
3/Visit an art gallery
4/Read something you are interested in, a good magazine is enjoyable as you can skip the articles you don't like. Psychologies magazine is a good 1.
5/Go to a talk on something you are interested in and try and make some points while there.
6/Swimming
7/Phone a helpline, these can be very useful to hear a friendly voice on the other end of the line.
8/ Go to an art class, eg life drawing.
That's about all the tips I've got
Hope it helps
Pablo

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Jan 26th, 2007 6:17pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
My mum tell me that whenever my father used to get into a "mood", as she calls it, he went out on a ten kilometer run and came back a human being again.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Jan 28th, 2007 8:21pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
AT MY WORST MANIC STAGE I WOULD GO AT 100MPH I COULDN'T EAT SLEEP OR THINK AS THERE WAS NO REAL PATTERN TO THE EPISODES OF HIGH AND LOW I FOUND COMFORT FROM A PRAT WHO HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED WHAT I WAS FEELING AND WHO HAD ONLY READ BOOKS ABOUT IT TELLING ME TRY NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT!
ONLY THEN DID I QUESTION MY SANITY

ClareBear

Posted Sun Jan 28th, 2007 8:40pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
ow, capslock.

Maniac

Posted Sun Jan 28th, 2007 9:06pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
Loud Loud Music!!!

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun Jan 28th, 2007 9:13pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
I get confused with the key board not good on pc

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Jan 28th, 2007 9:27pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
Loud Loud Music!!!

German death metal.

Bipolar

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 8:28pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
When I'm manic I remind myself that my manic thoughts affect my decisions and thus I try to run things by my other half, or my friends before I act. If I have to act immediately then I try not to allow my agitation or anger to surface as I know that it is often not how I would like to present myself.

Sometimes it's hard to be able to judge my state of mind and when I come down to earth I start beating myself up about how I behaved. Then I have the dilema of undoing the mess I've created or moving on knowing that I goofed up. Self blame sucks and I'm still learning how to deal with that.

When I'm depressed & anxious (one always triggers the other in my case), I just want to hide away. It's taken me a long time to learn how to avoid doing this (~4 years) and it still hits me on occasions. Right around the time that I found out that I'm bipolar as it happens. I was pretty much depressed and/or anxious for the whole of that time, with short bursts of thinking that I'm better and short bursts of hospitalisation. I'm not sure that I dealt with it at all well, OK that's an understatement, but I had a series of CBT and therapy sessions, where I learned that much of the way I thought was essentially self-destructive. With time I was able to work on my self esteem and see how it had developed over time. There are still a couple of school bullies that I'd like to terminate, so I guess I still have some work to do with my shrink!

Rebalancing the way I think worked better than anything else; such as, excercise, a healthy diet, avoiding alcohol & caffeine, pot, sex & my personnal favourite: suicide. That said we're all different and so are our maladies, so it's safe to assume that there is no one thing that works for all and everything is worth trying, singly or in combination.

Oh boy another essay, I just can't get this forum thing down...

Bipolar

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 9:32pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
Here's a mood chart that I find useful for tracking my moods long term.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/c.disspain/Mood-Chart.gif

It was made by Eli Lilly but there is no Copyright on it, so it should be free to distribute, which is how I got it in the first place.