Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 10:35pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
The manic phase for me i find ok even though at the time (when i had them ) my credit card would get a bashing.
I was never content with one dvd or cd i'd buy ten plus and most of them i never looked at.
But because to me i thought that was normal i never noticed.
Now i know what to look for i can try to control it i get the feel good thing and then i can't make my mind up what to do and when and things start to speed up i talk fast and get irritable which then leads on to the mood swings of the manic type. And my love for junk food gets more.
The bit i really hate is the calm before the storm. The bit in between where i feel nothing no feeling of guilt or any emotion really.
The reason i don't like that bit is because i know whats coming next :'(

Bipolar

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 11:02pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
The bit i really hate is the calm before the storm. The bit in between where i feel nothing no feeling of guilt or any emotion really.
The reason i don't like that bit is because i know whats coming next :'(

I used to look forward to that phase, but only because I thought I was briefly "normal" again. But you're dead right, it is the eye of the storm. Your words have chilled me to the bone, stultified me.

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Jan 30th, 2007 11:31pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
Make light heart of it we're better than Nostradamus (that has got to spelt wrong) at least when we have a feeling something is going to happen it does
I had to go to a text book therapist (i name them that because they have no experience of the feeling but can understand because they read it in a book)
At that time i was let's say level instead of the bit in between anyway i was asked to explain what i felt at that moment. Because i was coming down from the manic phase and was just feeling normal? she said when you feel bad come back and see me at that moment i had to ask myself was i sitting in the right chair X-D
The feeling in between is our rest period and yes we deserve it lol

Bipolar

Posted Wed Jan 31st, 2007 12:04am Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
I had to go to a text book therapist (i name them that because they have no experience of the feeling but can understand because they read it in a book)

Yup a good therapist would measure your moods over time and draw no initial conclusions until they were happy that they are familiar with all of your phases. After that they should be excellent at showing you where you are and discussing the merits or otherwise of that. It shouldn't be necessary for them to experience our symptoms in order to empathise, but it helps if they listen & thus learn from us!

I'm lucky I have a therapist who does exactly that in a non-confrontational way. He always asumes nothing, recognising that we're all uniquely different.

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Jan 31st, 2007 12:28am Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
The sad thing is that Bipolar is a unseen problem.
You break your leg it goes in plaster it mends that's it .Ok you might have a limp. You cut yourself you put a plaster on it and it heals there might be a scar.
But no matter how many times i get the phases and the scars that it leaves behind i still can't show anyone or no one can see it.
It's like your own private nightmare and although we all might follow the same pattern we're still not the same.
W hen i watched the programme i'm sure a question was asked to someone that if they could get rid of this now would they do it and the answer was no.
I'm ok with it i have had it for so long that to me it's part of my life but even though i now notice a phase or i'm in the level part it still scares me.
The high i can handle quite well i understand it but the level to low i think will remain a mystery i think

wingsofdesire

Posted Wed Jan 31st, 2007 2:01am Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
Everyone may have good recipes to cope with despair. When I fall from the summon of the tallest mountain to the bottom of the deepest oceanic trench, the only thing that helps me a bit is being aware of the fact that all is pendular, that I will be climbing the hill again soon. Perhaps you will say: Oh, stop kidding, that is the quinta essentia of manic depression. But it´s just that the awareness of that pendular characteristic does help me reduce levels of anxiety and be again on the move. It helps me a bit, just that. Hopefully, scientists will discover what DNA has to say as to this disease.

From Buenos Aires, Argentina, I wish to thank Mr. Stephen Fry for this forum. I keep in my mind how magnificently he played Oscar Wilde, as well as his performance -earlier in 1992- in Peter´s friends. (Peter to Vera: -I know you always disapproved of the way I lived my life.- Vera: -I didn't. I hated seeing what you didn't do with your life.-)

hey everybody,

when I was manic, I realised I was going to get depressed, so I tried to document for myself what I found beautiful, fascinating, ... and wrote it down in lists, poems,drawings, holistic theories, whatever (like others have done, I've seen here on the forum, mine are mostly in Dutch, so no use posting them)
But now, it all just seems silly (cynical smiley)

I would really like to know, aside from poetry and so on, how do you cope with the agony and despair you sometimes feel ?

I don't really know how to cope with it, but the little things I try are;
- I go every night on a walk with my dog (physical effort and stroking a pet should set off some endorfines or sth, I heard), and what I find pleasing is the fact that I can walk in dark, deserted places and feel no fear at all (what could possibly make me feel worse ? an encounter with a rapist ? a serial killer ? nope ) Then I realise I feel more free than I normally do
- i weigh myself every day and see that i lose weight, just like that, without any effort (for a woman, that counts for sth, because that's what they complain about all of the time)
- I smile to people and start small conversations, or make a friendly comments or compliments, (just as if I'm manic) and I think to myself: hey, at least I can pretend I'm in a happy mood and people get away with it
- I listen to 'Passive' from a perfect circle and I know who is my perfect enemy

wingsofdesire

Posted Wed Jan 31st, 2007 4:35pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
When I wrote ´summon´, I meant to say ´summit´, of course. Now that my cerebral clot has dissolved, I can see it.

Everyone may have good recipes to cope with despair. When I fall from the summon of the tallest mountain to the bottom of the deepest oceanic trench, the only thing that helps me a bit is being aware of the fact that all is pendular, that I will be climbing the hill again soon. Perhaps you will say: Oh, stop kidding, that is the quinta essentia of manic depression. But it´s just that the awareness of that pendular characteristic does help me reduce levels of anxiety and be again on the move. It helps me a bit, just that. Hopefully, scientists will discover what DNA has to say as to this disease.

From Buenos Aires, Argentina, I wish to thank Mr. Stephen Fry for this forum. I keep in my mind how magnificently he played Oscar Wilde, as well as his performance -earlier in 1992- in Peter´s friends. (Peter to Vera: -I know you always disapproved of the way I lived my life.- Vera: -I didn't. I hated seeing what you didn't do with your life.-)

hey everybody,

when I was manic, I realised I was going to get depressed, so I tried to document for myself what I found beautiful, fascinating, ... and wrote it down in lists, poems,drawings, holistic theories, whatever (like others have done, I've seen here on the forum, mine are mostly in Dutch, so no use posting them)
But now, it all just seems silly (cynical smiley)

I would really like to know, aside from poetry and so on, how do you cope with the agony and despair you sometimes feel ?

I don't really know how to cope with it, but the little things I try are;
- I go every night on a walk with my dog (physical effort and stroking a pet should set off some endorfines or sth, I heard), and what I find pleasing is the fact that I can walk in dark, deserted places and feel no fear at all (what could possibly make me feel worse ? an encounter with a rapist ? a serial killer ? nope ) Then I realise I feel more free than I normally do
- i weigh myself every day and see that i lose weight, just like that, without any effort (for a woman, that counts for sth, because that's what they complain about all of the time)
- I smile to people and start small conversations, or make a friendly comments or compliments, (just as if I'm manic) and I think to myself: hey, at least I can pretend I'm in a happy mood and people get away with it
- I listen to 'Passive' from a perfect circle and I know who is my perfect enemy

Swannyriver

Posted Mon Feb 12th, 2007 7:57pm Post subject: tips & tricks for the black times
This is my latest 'help'.......
If I'm at home, I'll walk around (don't laugh).....
I say to myself, I've got a dog so that's good,
I've got two nice cats, so that's good,
it's not raining, so that's good....etc etc...
Generally go around notice things around (wherever you are) and the more 'that's goods' the mood lightens for a while.

PS: I said don't laugh...