Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Frylu

Posted Mon Nov 20th, 2006 5:23pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Does here anyone know the book " thish and pish" by Stewart Ferris?
It is about how to be of speakingness like Stephen Fry. It is a delicious collection of sumptuous gorgeosities (!) .

The English language has never tasted more dlicious than in the mouth of Stephen Fry. : his prose is like a shaft of sunlight through the drizzle of quotidian language. The book contents for example the chapters " Basic phrases", "football" ... .

So on the left side of the page is the normal English expression and onthe right side of the page the expression Stephen would use. For example:
Pardon? : There is too much fur in my ear: would a recapitulation be too much of supplication.

A very funny book, indeed. And not at all " tummy rubbish" X-D

So ; go to the bookshop and read away.

ludwig

Wildean

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 12:40pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
yes! i have this book. It's fantastic, and even though it's not an offical Fry -endorsed product it's still suitably Fryesque and you feel the man himself would approve.

Kari

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 12:48pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Ooh I have heard of, but never held or stroked or cuddled this book. Must do so.

Canzonett

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 1:03pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Do you mind if I utter some serious doubts concerning Fry's alleged approval to that publication? If I were in his place, I would feel severely uncomfortable about a book that makes me appear like some sort of half-transcendent guru cut off from common human communication, someone whose remarks only can be deciphered with the help of a special idiolectic dictionary ...

Kari

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 1:12pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
hmm true, when you put it like that it IS a little condescending and maybe insulting...

I guess the only way to know would be to ask him.

Frylu

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 2:51pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Perhaps you should see it this way. It is the language used by Jeeves

-> played by stephen It´s a thought isn´t it

Canzonett

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 5:12pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Why refer to Stephen Fry then, in the first place, and not directly to Jeeves and Wodehouse?

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Nov 21st, 2006 7:09pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
I´ve just cast a quick look at the customer reviews at amazon.uk and they couldn´t be more contrary. People either love this book or simply consider it an outrageous waste of money and paper. Tastes differ.
My opinion is that the unique 'Fyishness' not only derives from his eloquent and delicious use of the English language but as well from his humor, intellect and his wit and that one can´t be separated from the other.
Out of context and just arranged alphabetically or by topic the phrases pieced together by the author in his lonely study seem forced and made-up rather than genuine. The reference to a bathroom as a 'defecation, urination and cleansing chamber" would, given that Mr Fry really dared to utter such a phrase, probably be followed by something along the lines of "Mr Dalliard, I got peculiar now".
I dare not say if Mr Fry is angry or pleased or indifferent about this book. It´s a mixed bag, really. To remind people of the beauty and richness of the English language and that Mr Fry is a perfect example for an exquisite use of language is a good thing. But as a dictionary "English - Fryish" I think this book doesn´t work, simply because Mr Fry isn´t an oddball living on his own planet whose language needs to be translated.
Just my humble opinion.

Kari

Posted Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 1:03am Post subject: Tish and Pish
I certainly agree with that last statement.
And I guess the only way to really learn how to use language like Stephen does would be to study it yourself.

Hrrmm...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 1:59pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
I like two things about this book: it's really very clever; and it's short. It's a terrible thing to be clevered to death and this book, despite it's brevity, shouldn't be read in one sitting.

Wildean

Posted Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 4:54pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
hmmm, now i'm having second thoughts about my entirely positive post in the light of some of these comments. :-// Maybe Stephn Fry wouldn't approve....also i should have added that the author makes it very clear that it is completely unofficial, and it should not be read at all seriously.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 5:16pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
hmmm, now i'm having second thoughts about my entirely positive post in the light of some of these comments. :-// Maybe Stephn Fry wouldn't approve....also i should have added that the author makes it very clear that it is completely unofficial, and it should not be read at all seriously.

I did absolutely not have the intention to spoil the book for anyone with my remarks :-//
I think you should carry on liking the book no matter whether Mr Fry approves of it or not. There must be some sort of approval since it wouldn´t have been possible to print a Fry-cover without his permission.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Nov 22nd, 2006 7:06pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
What's interesting is that I got this as an ebook last October; a published paper version wasn't available. I downloaded it from Amazon for $10 and read it a couple times and got a couple giggles. But now the blasted file won't open anymore! It got damaged somehow. I don't know if ebooks expire after such a date, but I'm kinda ticked that a hardbound version is available.

Anyway, from what I recall, the Fryful phrases were cumbersome and not as clever as the regular phrases. "Please boil your hands before you touch me" really can't get funnier.

And I took it all as tongue-in-cheek rather than "Stephen talks like this all the time" type thing.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Frylu

Posted Thu Nov 23rd, 2006 5:00pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
Perhaps Stephen sees this and says what he thinks about it. that´s the only way to find out

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Nov 23rd, 2006 5:11pm Post subject: Tish and Pish
But now the blasted file won't open anymore! It got damaged somehow. I don't know if ebooks expire after such a date, but I'm kinda ticked that a hardbound version is available.

'Expiry' was also the first thing that leapt to my mind when I read your post. But I doubt if e-books can expire. That would be really sneaky