Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

zo2rey

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 12:00am Post subject: Title explanation
Hello all,
I'd like to have an explanation regarding this title !
English is not my mother tongue and I have some trouble figuring out its true meaning
I've read that it was in the bible but what does it really mean ?
I didn't go trough all the post too much on this subject and I hope that smeone will enlignthen me about it
thank you !

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 8:48am Post subject: Title explanation
Hi there.
You are referring to Moab, aren't you? The title is taken from Ps 60, 8. I don't know about the article's validity, but here is an explanation of the title.

Desdemona

Posted Wed Dec 10th, 2008 6:55pm Post subject: Title explanation
i think its a quote from the bible. not having read the bible, this is second source information.

Skip Life and come with me?

zo2rey

Posted Thu Dec 11th, 2008 11:19pm Post subject: Title explanation
yes it was about moab !
and thanx for the tip it was hard to guess...

PortoIan

Posted Fri Dec 12th, 2008 3:31pm Post subject: Title explanation
basically it means he (fry) felt so dirty (for being gay?) that he is the lowest of the low (Moab, according to the bible), however the Moabs eventually rose up and became part of the jewish kingdom (re-intergration?)

a much better explanation than mine is from wikipedia

"The title, never referenced in the text of the book, is taken from Psalm 60, verse 8. Old Testament Jews were extremely concerned with cleanliness. Wearing sandals in the hot and dusty environment, their feet would become filthy, and upon entering a home they would be washed. In their cleansing and purification rituals they used poured water. They would not put their feet into the bowl, but instead hold their feet over the bowl and pour clean water over them, and the bowl would be used to catch the filthy water.

Moab, which had threatened Israel, was to be so completely subdued, and became so utterly contemptible as to be likened to a wash pot or basin."