Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ArleneA

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 1:57am Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

I am referring to the film which Stephen made, "The Secret Life of the Manic Depressive".

During a segment of this film, he mentions that he asks sufferers of this illness, if they were given the chance, and if they could simply press a button which would rid them of this illness, would they press it? I was shocked at my own response. No, I would not press the button either. No way. I would lose all my creativity. I would lose who I was as a person, I feel. This illness, rather ironically, has made me who I am today.

When I first watched this film, and I heard him ask this question, I think I was pretending to myself that yes, of course, I would press the button to make the illness evaporate into smithereens; but then I felt sad at this thought, and no, would not change it now, if I could. The low phase of manic depression is a completely different story; but well for the manic phase; the highs that go with it; this makes up for it. Looking back, prior to diagnosis, yes I have been hyper most of my life lol. I think I knew from the age of 15 that yes something was not quite right, but was very good at covering this up. One of the things I did was go into a complete rage if I could not 'find something I was looking for' and remember once (aged 15) I demolished my bedroom searching for a piece of schoolwork!! I was really really mad! God only knows how it took until the age of 36 to reach the diagnosis of the "B" word. No idea.

After listening to my new hero talking about this illness, in such a brave manner, one no longer feels 'bitter' or 'ashamed' at having this illness. One shall be positive about it and make full use of the creativity which comes along with it, oh yes, one must!!!!

"This is me - don't try and change it..."

Frazzy

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 3:54am Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

I wouldn't get rid of what is 'wrong' with me either,.. only in the very lowest moments do I want to be 'normal', when I'm exhausted from struggling to fit in with everyone else, who won't meet me halfway, or quarter of the way or less..
If you just erased every difficult thing in your life, you'd be shallow and boring.

ArleneA

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 7:41am Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

Hello Frazzy, yes I agree with you. It would would be indeed shallow and boring if you were 'perfectly normal' lol.

I myself find I struggle to fit in; people also don't meet me halfway, or ANY of the way; and so this could be why I have such few friends. I have lots of people whom I talk to when I meet them in town or whatever, and when I go swimming, yes lots of "aquaintances" but friends? One or two at the most. I am ashamed to admit that because I don't think I am that a bad/unlikeable person.

One does not like BS (excuse my language at this early hour lol); I can see right through all the BS and will not tolerate it. I prefer to be on my own a lot; sad as that sounds; I treasure those moments:)

Nice to 'meet' you.

"This is me - don't try and change it..."

Frazzy

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 9:07am Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

All of my friends have been made through music and art, or the internet.. all a bit weird themselves, and so don't mind my weirdness..
Other people think I'm angry or upset at them all the time... so often get asked what's wrong, or what has offended me when I'm just musing to myself quietly.. I must have the wrong facial expressions for situations or something...
Or there's the people that decide you're being too quiet, and something must be done about this terrible crime....

Sometimes I want more friends, and then I go spend time with someone and they talk for the whole time without actually saying anything, and then I'm just very tired and want to go live in a cave far away from humankind...

greentree

Posted Tue Apr 3rd, 2012 10:03am Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

I'm not bipolar (just have run of the mill 'normal' clinical depression) and i don't think i'd press the button either.

No sig.

The CatBat Princess

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2012 5:28pm Post subject: TO PRESS OR NOT TO PRESS THE BUTTON WHICH WOULD ERADICATE YOUR MANIC DEPRESSION.

I wouldn't do it either, we are unique. Not sure if my husband would agree though.
Having sufferred/coped/enjoyed the illness - I feel that I can understand other people more too. It makes me more open and understanding of other people's problems.

I like to dress up as a peapod sometimes.
http://thecatbatprincess.wordpress.com/