Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClareBear

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 8:08pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
....or the dreaded ultimate horror that was the Bleep Test. *dies*

...which I was quite good at. Long legs, see.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 8:20pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
or the dreaded ultimate horror that was the Bleep Test. *dies*

What's the bleep test?

It was where everyone had to stand along a line in the hall and listen to a tape playing beeps. When it beeped you had to run to the opposite end of the hall and back again when you heard the next beep. It always started out gently but then started building up faster and faster. You keep going until you're too tired to go on and then you're given a number representing how fit you are. So everyone in your year knows how fit or unfit you are, would discuss it to death, it was also displayed on your report next to the class average and as though it wasn't shitty enough as it was they'd divide the lines by sex, so girls would do the test first, then the boys in front of each other so you had an audience. :'(

Assuming direct control...

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 8:25pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
we had the bleep test... worst thing ever. nothing is worse then fellow school mates knowing your result, esp when half the girls in my class did gymnastics and camogie....

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 8:29pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
or the dreaded ultimate horror that was the Bleep Test. *dies*

What's the bleep test?

It was where everyone had to stand along a line in the hall and listen to a tape playing beeps. When it beeped you had to run to the opposite end of the hall and back again when you heard the next beep. It always started out gently but then started building up faster and faster. You keep going until you're too tired to go on and then you're given a number representing how fit you are. So everyone in your year knows how fit or unfit you are, would discuss it to death, it was also displayed on your report next to the class average and as though it wasn't shitty enough as it was they'd divide the lines by sex, so girls would do the test first, then the boys in front of each other so you had an audience. :'(

sounds dreadful. I hate how PE lessons can traumatise you for the rest of your life. Sometimes I think more people would do exercise in later life if they weren't humiliated in PE.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 8:35pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?

sounds dreadful. I hate how PE lessons can traumatise you for the rest of your life. Sometimes I think more people would do exercise in later life if they weren't humiliated in PE.

It's like they go out of their way to make the whole experience as painful as possible. Like the communal showers.

Assuming direct control...

Kaseryn

Posted Fri Apr 27th, 2007 11:29pm Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
I don't see that the bleep test is such an all knowing indicator of fitness anyway. I'm quite tall and found the turnaround part of it a pain whereas smaller and/or lighter people could do that easily. For a straight mile run though i'm around 5m20 atm.. so the bleep test can get bleeped

joan

Posted Sat Apr 28th, 2007 6:48am Post subject: To tuck, or not to tuck?
I discvered at about 14 that although school sports were an excercise in brutality and humilation, non school sport was quite fun. I was in a cycling club,and a judo club: in both of them, the people in charge were kind, helpful and encouraging. I wasn't much good at judo, but I DID learn breakfalls well - namely how to fall and not hurt yourself, which was a very useful skill for a clockwork orange riding a bike.