Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Andrew_Cothill

Posted Sun Nov 1st, 2009 2:36pm Post subject: Toccata and Fugue... mmm.

Hello all, new to forums, mass communications and the like but wondered if anyone can shed any light on a strange moment.

I'll cut to the chase:

I don't usually listen to much music but started to watch Disney's Fantasia and was knocked back by a strange sensation during Toccata and Fugue. I burst into tears for reasons I can't fathom and no experience since has come close despite my efforts to replicate it. It was uncontrollable and when pushed for an explanation all I could say was that it was like a release of everything that it meant to be 'Human'. Some kind of sublime acceptence or the feeling of being spirited away. I'm failing to describe it accurately here because I'm unsure as to what it was.
I understand that people can be moved by music but have never experienced anything like it - i know little to nothing of classical music and wondered if anyone else had similar experiences. If so where did they lead, how did you interpret them and have they come again. I know that Stephen Fry is very well educated on the subject of classical music and i thought that perhaps the people who talk to and around him may be able to elaborate.

I would be the first to think it was self indulgent or melodramatic to give so much attention to such a brief moment but as it was so unlike anything else and....well...erm, you know. I'm repeating myself now. Thanks for taking the time to read my open rant.

Nitro

Posted Thu Nov 5th, 2009 2:47pm Post subject: Toccata and Fugue... mmm.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider it either melodramatic or self-indulgent of you. And if they do, forget about them. Some phones just don't work and are waiting on repairmen to come along.

Anytime I've heard Pavarotti sing just about anything, my feet walk away from me. I also get similar feelings from some garage rock lol

Really? Wow.