Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

SecretClicker

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 1:42pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
Well quite frankly, I'm young. REALLY young. I'm talking bouncy bubbly teenage young.
Point is I'm about to start my 6th and final year and high school and well, looking back, my 1st year perception of 6th years were tall, post puberty, together people who knew what was going on.

I don't, when does that bit kick in? the point where you say yeah, you know that English degree I've been talking about, let's do that and then I'll become a ______

uh what?! and at that point your life kind of falls off the edge of a cliff and it's time to grow up and fly or accept the fact you'll be working checkout at tesco's part time for a while yet.
It's just a thought that I've been having recently, thought I might share it.

=/

Jarus

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 4:39pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
I wouldn't worry about it your not alone and our perceptions of our peers being 'together' rarely mesh with reality. The together people are probably as full as doubts as you are and are excellent at hiding them or are simply deluded enough to believe in their 'life plan'.

I'm in a similar position as you, leaving school and looking towards University/the future etc, but I try not to worry about it all. I'm sure I'll have many different jobs over the course of my life some I'll enjoy and some I'll hate. It wouldn't surprise me if I have to do a little temping/shelf stacking along the way, everyone has to do it at some point. It's not like you can plan your life, what's that line from the Baz Luhrman song? *Googles* Ah here we are '...your choices are half chance and so are everybody else's' sounds about right to me.

Things will probably work out

PamJH

Posted Wed Jan 28th, 2009 11:20pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
This is your time to celebrate. You have a wide world open to you and you can take any direction you choose. The only thing I urge the youth of my acquaintance to do is to continually educate yourself. Going to university is terrific and you should go if you can, just to explore your options. But don't stop there. Read, read, read and talk to everyone you meet. Do this all your life. You never know where those activities will lead.

Doubts never really go away. Did I take the right job? Go to the right university? Buy the right car? Say the thing that needed saying at the time it needed to be said? Well, you can agonize over all those items and more, or you can just make the best decision you can at the time.

Unless your decisions are hurting you or someone else, I'm not sure there are any really wrong decisions. They're just decisions and we shouldn't continually question them.

That's probably more than you wanted to know from someone old enough to be your mother. But I do love watching young people take those steps into the world. It's gratifying for me to watch them succeed at whatever they choose to do.

SecretClicker

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 1:32am Post subject: Too young to be that old
That's fantastic! Only one of my parents when to university, and he took computer science, and became a programmer. So it seemed like he had a path there.
At least there are others who were jumping off the cliff and didn't end up homeless in the gutter!

Nitro

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 2:00am Post subject: Too young to be that old
You don't have to be one thing for the rest of your life. You can change occupations as you wish.

Pursue what you are most passionate about and do not focus on the money. Many people do that and wind up miserable anyway. Life is far too short to choose goals that, in the end, will make you miserable once you've achieved them. Money will come as you pursue what you love because you are more likely to be better at that thing, whatever it is, than you would be if you put the goal of having tons of money before educating yourself in those things you enjoy and are interested in.

Life's a grand adventure. Enjoy the hell out of it, highs and lows and in-betweens

Really? Wow.

joan

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 5:45am Post subject: Too young to be that old
You don't have to be one thing for the rest of your life. You can change occupations as you wish.

Pursue what you are most passionate about and do not focus on the money. Many people do that and wind up miserable anyway. Life is far too short to choose goals that, in the end, will make you miserable once you've achieved them. Money will come as you pursue what you love because you are more likely to be better at that thing, whatever it is, than you would be if you put the goal of having tons of money before educating yourself in those things you enjoy and are interested in.

Life's a grand adventure. Enjoy the hell out of it, highs and lows and in-betweens

This is true, and what I told my sons: you must go to university, but once there, choose the course that contains things you enjoy and forget the money. Almost all jobs here pay more than enough to live on anyway. My eldest loved history and philosophy so that is what he studied. He never wanted to be a teacher, but after he graduated with honours, he decided he would like teaching after all, did his BEd, and loves his teaching job. His students love him too, so following his heart, not the money, worked well.

The other son had to be pushed to go to uni - once there he did what he wanted - science - and has done lab work after graduating, but has changed to what he really likes, training people in industry. it pays well too, which is a bonus.

Maxx England

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:27pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
The one thing I will suggest is to be involved with activities that you enjoy and do them with people you like, and do them generally outside of a work environment. If the work and the activity are the same, great, you've got a Vocation! Involvement and people. You go places, you get good things come your way, and your own confidence grows enormously.

Self doubt or self consciousness occupy a much smaller prt of your life when you do that. I just wish I'd understood that earlier, but sod it, I'm having fun now and in future.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

M.K.

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:45pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
Doubts never really go away.

True. Even for those who thought they wouldn't have any doubts at all.
I was, I'm very ashamed to say, one of them. When high school finished I knew exactly which university I wanted to be part of, what to study... Well, university is over now and I've got to choose again- this time in details. My first answer has been, Well I refuse to choose- I'm going to try 8 or 9 admissions and they'll chose for me. Admissions went bad- which was quite predictable, starting with such a purpose. Three months ago, at the age of nearly 24, I experimented doubts about job-choosing for the first time in my life- I had a little crisis to say the truth- and, tell you what, my problem was the "let's do that and then I'll become a ______ " thing- because if I choose that side of this field I could never be able to jump on that other side- which I'm also interested in...
But it's true what Nitro says:
I had a friend who thought she'd have been a mathematician and now, at the age of 27, after 5 years of mathematics, she's into a drama school. I mean, you never can tell. If you have a passion, something you like very much to do, than choose it- there's nothing worse than being locked to something you hate because hate increases through time.

Hank Moody

Posted Thu Jan 29th, 2009 3:47pm Post subject: Too young to be that old
After degrees in Archaeology, Computer sciences and having gained qualifications to legitimately be called a Chef, I still don't know what I'm doing, and I'm 32 this year. I'm actually starting to write again though, so I'm rather hoping this goes somewhere.