Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 4:09am Post subject: Top Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcajJWm5RNk

"..Nobody loses weight in America.."

WTH does THAT mean? We're completely FIXATED on losing weight. Was
he being facetious/sarcastic? I couldn't tell.

And how much is 'six stone' in real math? lol

BTW, behind the host in the audience is a tall guy with dark hair and blue and grey striped shirt. VERY good looking lad with a bright smile. I was so distracted by his visage I couldn't focus on the conversation between Mr.Fry and the host. I had to watch thi video a few times to bring my brain back around LOL

Uh oh. That doesn't make me sound like a pervert does it? X-D Maybe I can be excused given the talk about the 'Grinder' application

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 5:36am Post subject: Top Gear
Two attractive men on one stage. No, you are not a perv.

The conversation seems to dance around quite a bit, but perhaps that's the show's format. That Grinder app thing was very funny, too.

I'm glad they didn't dwell on chubby Americans, though. We dwell on it enough ourselves.

Voguedotcom

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 9:40pm Post subject: Top Gear
I thought Stephen was excellent on Top Gear this week, I was very amused.
I have to say Mr Fry, that is the best application I have come across for the iPhone. What a brilliant idea! I am neither male, nor gay, but I still think it's bloody fantastic. One of my better friends is gay, and it's just the thing he would appreciate

Maxx England

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 10:34pm Post subject: Top Gear
6st = 84lb = about 39kg

Weight? America has had better access to calories than Britain for a good while now, but we're catching up.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 11:01pm Post subject: Top Gear
about the weight comment, which I was a little confused about, I was thinking it meant no one goes to visit America and loses weight while there.

obviously people who are in America full time aren't going to be just continuously gaining weight until we can all roll down the street without a need for cars! X-D

sockdolager.

ginj

Member *

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 11:11pm Post subject: Top Gear
Quite frankly the proportions of the meals Americans eat is outrageous to many UK and European people. Plus we add much more fat and sugar to our foods than they would even dream of. Try introducing a hoagie to a European and they would be horrified.

But in any case, the show was very funny. And I thought Jeremy Clarkson was a riot. Nitro I must admit I had to go back and watch it again to see the fellow you were referring to (well, alright, I would have watched it again anyway X-D ). And I suppose I can understand why you were so distracted.

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Jun 29th, 2009 11:29pm Post subject: Top Gear
Quite frankly the proportions of the meals Americans eat is outrageous to many UK and European people. Plus we add much more fat and sugar to our foods than they would even dream of. Try introducing a hoagie to a European and they would be horrified.

interesting. I always forget about the portion issue. whenever I think of "bad food" it's always some kind of ethnic restaurant, but of course it's done with that distinctive American style of "let's give you a plate containing enough food to feed four and expect you to eat it all."
(looked up a hoagie just to make sure I knew what it was...I like sub sandwiches, but I can see where they would be excessive. especially a foot-long.)

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 5:05am Post subject: Top Gear

I think you might've misunderstood me Pam ( though it's no slight to the two gents on stage ) - I wasn't referring to either of those two, but rather an audience member :-//

And at the risk of being controversial, I've traveled a bit. When it comes to slapping meat and cheese on bread/buns ( like a hoagie ), our German friends ain't too shy either X-D Now, I didn't see a 12" bun but do three, 4" buns with meat and cheese add up to 12" and +/- some calories? X-D

Mine is not a typical diet I don't think but here's one Americans food consumption today ( this is not all eaten at once...ugh, I'd be dead ):

Green apple
two pieces of pizza
my own salad concotion of 6 hardboiled eggs ( no yolks ) diced with a bit of mayo and mustard, plopped down on a few pieces of lettuce and a fresh cucumbur quartered...1 tbsp french onion dippin sauce on side for cucumbur
1 entire can of Lentil soup by some company
my own desert concoction of: 1tbsp of very low fat crunchy peanut butter melted and poured over triple chocolate low fat frozen yogurt and chocolate syrup dribbled over it
10 glasses of water
a Coca-cola
a cup of coffee

( This is just so THRILLING isn't it?! X-D :-// - pardon my example )

This is all eaten over a 12 hour period with several walks in between and right now I feel like a bloated pig. I'm an American and I eat this way because I'm both lazy and hyper-active ( sports ), and very dull as well if you haven't noticed.

I take your point though. Part of our problem, culturally, is that our sit down meals, even socially ( at restaurants for instance ), tend to be eaten much faster than what I've experienced elsewhere. I might not be wording that quite clearly but oh hell, oh well X-D I think our fixation on 'fast' food isn't just about the food but, well, that it's 'fast'. Not everyone reckons Time the same way I don't think.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 6:57am Post subject: Top Gear
I'm trying to put some weight on, not take it off, so someone please pass me the Ben&Jerry's!

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 1:00pm Post subject: Top Gear

And at the risk of being controversial, I've traveled a bit. When it comes to slapping meat and cheese on bread/buns ( like a hoagie ), our German friends ain't too shy either X-D Now, I didn't see a 12" bun but do three, 4" buns with meat and cheese add up to 12" and +/- some calories? X-D
Do they use 4oz. of meat and cheese on each sandwich and do they normally eat three sandwiches in on sitting? I bet that would be considered decadent.

I take your point though. Part of our problem, culturally, is that our sit down meals, even socially ( at restaurants for instance ), tend to be eaten much faster than what I've experienced elsewhere. I might not be wording that quite clearly but oh hell, oh well X-D I think our fixation on 'fast' food isn't just about the food but, well, that it's 'fast'. Not everyone reckons Time the same way I don't think.
Yes most of my comments were based on restaurant/diner/fast food eating, assuming that is where Stephen would have had most of his foods. I think you are absolutely right (at least in my case) that the attraction of fast food is that it is fast. I also like your last comment. Is that true? See that is something I find interesting.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 2:34pm Post subject: Top Gear

I think you might've misunderstood me Pam ( though it's no slight to the two gents on stage ) - I wasn't referring to either of those two, but rather an audience member :-//

I'm glad I misunderstood you. That's gives me a very good reason to watch this again!

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:20pm Post subject: Top Gear
I also like your last comment. Is that true? See that is something I find interesting.

In my limited experience, yes. Most meals in other countries like S.America, the Caribbean, Germany, and even England ( I don't know why I say 'and even England'...weird...) at a restaurant last for quite a while longer than they do here with my fellow citizens at a restaurant. On top of that, um, we seem to be a ton more obsessed with punctuality and speed of service. Ask someone who's sat at a cafe in Paris waiting for their check or to order. You can spot the Americans because they start looking around impatiently, trying to track the servers down or management, and otherwise just want to order/eat/leave more quickly.

I had some friends who went to the Bahamas - not exactly a really exotic location anymore - and were beside themselves with how long they had to wait for service and such. Really annoyed. That's what I mean by not reckoning Time the same way.

And btw, my freinds in Germany put out a breakfast spread that would give a lot of people heart attacks just looking at it. But I eated it anyway

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Tue Jun 30th, 2009 4:24pm Post subject: Top Gear
I know what you mean about the time thing. I like going to powwows for that reason. The last time I went to one, the announcer said the grand entry would start promptly at 1 p.m. which was five minutes away. Most of the dancers sidled off to the food booths or back to their families and the thing didn't start for another half hour. The announcer himself got into a spirited conversation with a couple of other people, so I knew right then it wouldn't start at 1.

And the food at powwows is fattening and delicious, by the way.

peteg

Posted Wed Aug 5th, 2009 1:36pm Post subject: Top Gear
The video has been taken down due to a copyright claim by the BBC

What was it on top gear? If it was jeremy clarkson making fun of americans you should know that thats completly normal, he loves to complain about us

when he said ""..Nobody loses weight in America.." he was probably just going on about the cliche of americans being fat, and eating a lot of fast food etc...

dillinger

Posted Tue Sep 7th, 2010 1:38am Post subject: Top Gear

Here, watch 2 Top Gear episodes where Stephen Fry appears:
http://watchtopgear.co.cc/s03e02/
http://watchtopgear.co.cc/s13e02/