Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2007 9:36am Post subject: Tourettes
Not quite MD but linked is the Horizon 03 April video podcast. Some famous pianist is seeing if his Tourette's syndrome is linked to his creativity.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2007 2:48pm Post subject: Tourettes
Where's the link?

meekychuppet

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2007 2:54pm Post subject: Tourettes
It's a podcast so iTunes is best but...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon.....cast.shtml

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2007 2:55pm Post subject: Tourettes
I watched the programme and found it most interesting. In fact, van Bloss could not STOP being creative, even when they asked him to (volunteers were asked to make up a story from three words they were given, whilst having their brains scanned. In some instances they were asked to come up with a story that was NOT creative, and this he never managed). They link it to an excess of dopamine, and one patient with Alzheimer´s felt virtually driven to composing music about half an hour after having taken his medication. Another disorder mentioned was autism.
He even met OLIVER SACKS The film "Awakening" is based on Sack´s experience with patients who back in the 1920s had suffered from encephalitis lethargica and, those who survived, had virtually turned into statues, unable to move or speak. He treated them with L-dopa which brought on their "awakening". Unfortunately it was only temporary. But Oliver Sacks also wrote a book about "The man who mistook his wife for a hat" which made very interesting reading (I´ll spare you the details...)

What fascinated me most about Van Bloss was that he lost all his ticks the moment he sat down at the piano and started to play. According to him, all the energy was rechannelled in to the piano. I hope that one day he´ll be able to perform in public again!

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 9th, 2007 9:50pm Post subject: Tourettes
I've read "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat"! It is a great read, you're right. I'm reading "Awakenings" now, actually.

Something curious. I haven't been diagnosed with any mental disorders, and I'm not on any medication. So this is rather new and interesting to me.

A couple of nights ago I had odd musical hallucinations. I was falling asleep, and for the first time ever, as far as I can recall, I started hearing original, spontaneously generated musical compositions. I tried regulating them - adding a violin, speeding up the tempo - but it didn't quite work, because as soon as I'd think about changing something, the melody would shift of its own accord, switch tempo, instruments, and anything else it felt like switching almost mid-bar.

This went on for about five minutes; I remember thinking how terrible it was that I didn't know musical notation and couldn't write all these melodies down. Then I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I couldn't recall a single tune. :'(

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Tue Apr 10th, 2007 8:40am Post subject: Tourettes
I've read "The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat"! It is a great read, you're right. I'm reading "Awakenings" now, actually.

Something curious. I haven't been diagnosed with any mental disorders, and I'm not on any medication. So this is rather new and interesting to me.

A couple of nights ago I had odd musical hallucinations. I was falling asleep, and for the first time ever, as far as I can recall, I started hearing original, spontaneously generated musical compositions. I tried regulating them - adding a violin, speeding up the tempo - but it didn't quite work, because as soon as I'd think about changing something, the melody would shift of its own accord, switch tempo, instruments, and anything else it felt like switching almost mid-bar.

This went on for about five minutes; I remember thinking how terrible it was that I didn't know musical notation and couldn't write all these melodies down. Then I fell asleep, and when I woke up, I couldn't recall a single tune. :'(

:'( Too sad... sounds like some "Mozärtliche" experience... That beautiful music was all there in his head, for him just to scribble down (he is renowned for not making amendments to his music, the mind boggles ) Perhaps you´ll experience something similar again at a later time...

Do you enjoy reading Awakenings? I read it ages ago and found all those case reports harrowing and fascinating at the same time...

As regards "The Man Who...": I remember that one case where the wife stated that her husband´s art work was turning more and more abstract- and the one thought that crossed my mind at the time was: What if Picasso was not such a genius, but rather was suffering from some mental condition which made him perceive the world in as abstract a fashion as he painted it? Silly thought, I know :-// But then I´ve never been one for Picasso... Turner, Waldmüller, Caspar David Friedrich are more down my street...

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Apr 10th, 2007 2:30pm Post subject: Tourettes

:'( Too sad... sounds like some "Mozärtliche" experience... That beautiful music was all there in his head, for him just to scribble down (he is renowned for not making amendments to his music, the mind boggles )

I used to be boggled by it, too, but not anymore. It's sort of like when you see kaleidoscopic patterns - they're already arranged in a mathematical order, the only thing to do if you don't like them is change the order, but you don't have to make it any more or less orderly... Also, I recalled the QI bit about Shostakovich and his magical enabling piece of shrapnel, so I tried tilting my head in certain ways to see if that did anything. The melodies changed, but I couldn't tell whether it was the movement itself or the direction that did it.

Delightful experience, in short, if a bit sad. Maybe I should try to enroll in some adult education music classes, in case this ever happens again and I actually recall something...

Do you enjoy reading Awakenings? I read it ages ago and found all those case reports harrowing and fascinating at the same time...

'Harrowing' is a good word. So is fascinating, but I'm rather more harrowed than fascinated at this point....

As regards "The Man Who...": I remember that one case where the wife stated that her husband´s art work was turning more and more abstract- and the one thought that crossed my mind at the time was: What if Picasso was not such a genius, but rather was suffering from some mental condition which made him perceive the world in as abstract a fashion as he painted it? Silly thought, I know :-// But then I´ve never been one for Picasso... Turner, Waldmüller, Caspar David Friedrich are more down my street...

That's an interesting thought. As hard as it is to diagnose someone post-mortem, one could potentially troll through diaries, letter, memoirs and anything else recollecting his daily life and look for other things that would indicate a condition similar to the music professor's...

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 8:39am Post subject: Tourettes
I must read Awakenings again, I barely remember a thing (I´m afraid I left the book in V.... couldn´t possibly relocate ALL my books )
There´s a thought (!) Sift through various papers... but I think it would require expert knowledge to derive any indication of some condition as the clues might be subtle in nature. Possibly a project to be tackled by a neurologist who at the same time is a Picasso aficionado...