Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

MerryMary

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 11:40pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Anyone have access to (written) transcripts of this programme? Kindly advise.

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 1:27pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Hi MM

I have taken actions to try and take this further on your behalf. Because of issues such as copyright and availability, e.t.c I cannot promise anything, but will let you know if I hear anything either way.

Regards

F.F.

MerryMary

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:04pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
asooeeer-------ttttta\\\\\\\\\\\k

Oops. Bad, bad kitty.

MerryMary

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 10:08pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Many thanks. Feel free to PM me.

Having just reviewed that last sentence, I wonder why "PM" sounds so...warm and cozy? Sorry. I am...nuts.

MM

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 12:43am Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
No fear, Mary.

you will be swift to find out as soon as I hear back from "them upstairs".

To compliment the perceived warm nature of the term "PM" I will try and procure a copy for you on furry paper.

Meanwhile I can commend you to a popular forum for Manic Depressives and the like -
( I had one about here somewhere ...).

MerryMary

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 1:31am Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Delightful!

Tho' not BP, I am dysthemic (I started a thread, but FYI, it is a persistant, lo-grade depression that bugs the hell out of me sometimes. Fortunately quite treatable). My interest in the transcripts is primarily because we do not, likely will not, find a PBS station to air it over here. A popular site does contain the entire programme, but in bits.

The Boston Legal fan board is fortunate to have an army of volunteer transcriptionists with David E. Kelley Productions blessing. In fact, they send us much information, such as orginal script pages, and other wonderful things, probably because we are a well behaved lot. I have had the pleasure of making final edits, and filling out the details of business and blocking which helps the reader. Since I have the qualifications to do so, it is great fun to help out.

Holding paper and taking time to read and re-read is pleasant. It satisfies.

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 11:37am Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Hello again Mary,

I have just logged in to find a private message ( from on high ) confirming that there unfortunately exists no written transcription of the program. :'(

I also must apologise for not having recognised you from your original thread, where you kindly offered to accept me as an honorary member of the Dysthemic fellowship - as that's approximately where I sit just now " thanks to the wonders of modern medicine" apparently removing my 'highs'.

It is a genuine sadness that a transcription does not exist, as so much 'outreach' work could have been done with it.

And yes feeling paper is nice isn't it ...

Regards,

F.F.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 7:33pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
....FF writes "so much 'outreach' work could have been done with it. "

This phrase encapsulates in an uncertain (to me) kind of way something I have been thinking on and off since the programmes were aired last September.

And that is...

....this compendium of hundreds of people's many many writings makes up a body of knowledge that has been generated in a real 'organic' sense - organic being not trendy word but actually describing the process here accurately.

This makes it very real and very 'from the horses mouth'.

For example, there are descriptions of what mania is like, there are descriptions of the ways people deal/cope with things, descriptions of physical and nutritional ways of working with disorder/distress, there is the growing body of original poetry, and there is the model of how micro-society grows and changes.... and more.

it represents thousands upon thousands of human-hours of input, caring (enough to write) and also whatever image/picture it leaves to people whio just watch but never join or become part-of.

Out of this, i could, for example create a list of the things that people experience as symptoms of being on the high-side of Bipolar, the different ways people have managed tis, etc etc...

Some people here will realise that i have chosen to be in training to work therapeutically, and the insights i've gained here help that a great deal in a broadening my understanding of the settings that mental disorder occurs in, and what it is like for those who do.

So what i am saying here is that this is a very real (and realistic) body of knowledge that should, i believe, be maintained, first, and second (more to the people providing the site, and ultimately i suppose for Mr. Fry), I believe this growing body of knowledge could be developed into a means of outreach (a tool) that helps address the stigma of mental health and that provides learning and understanding in an accessible way for unwell people, the people around them, health workers and people in general - as it does already in a very broad sense - iow a very high quality resource.

This site adds value.

Chris

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu May 3rd, 2007 7:50pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
....FF writes "so much 'outreach' work could have been done with it. "

This phrase encapsulates in an uncertain (to me) kind of way something I have been thinking on and off since the programmes were aired last September.

And that is...

....this compendium of hundreds of people's many many writings makes up a body of knowledge that has been generated in a real 'organic' sense - organic being not trendy word but actually describing the process here accurately.

This makes it very real and very 'from the horses mouth'.

For example, there are descriptions of what mania is like, there are descriptions of the ways people deal/cope with things, descriptions of physical and nutritional ways of working with disorder/distress, there is the growing body of original poetry, and there is the model of how micro-society grows and changes.... and more.

it represents thousands upon thousands of human-hours of input, caring (enough to write) and also whatever image/picture it leaves to people whio just watch but never join or become part-of.

Out of this, i could, for example create a list of the things that people experience as symptoms of being on the high-side of Bipolar, the different ways people have managed tis, etc etc...

Some people here will realise that i have chosen to be in training to work therapeutically, and the insights i've gained here help that a great deal in a broadening my understanding of the settings that mental disorder occurs in, and what it is like for those who do.

So what i am saying here is that this is a very real (and realistic) body of knowledge that should, i believe, be maintained, first, and second (more to the people providing the site, and ultimately i suppose for Mr. Fry), I believe this growing body of knowledge could be developed into a means of outreach (a tool) that helps address the stigma of mental health and that provides learning and understanding in an accessible way for unwell people, the people around them, health workers and people in general - as it does already in a very broad sense - iow a very high quality resource.

This site adds value.

Chris

A good point Chris.

What may have been thought 'lost' in the fact that a program transcription does not exist, is indeed redeemed and expanded upon because the world wide web has been given this forum under the auspices of Stephen Fry .

Now, when people 'Google' the title of the documentary - they can find this breadth of direct, authentic and shared experience to draw from.

The SLOTMD project has like "All Bran" - proved itself able to continue swelling long after it's initial digestion.

Good call.

F.F

Fourth Feline

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 12:08pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
P.S. Mary ( and other interested parties )

It has been suggested to me that if anybody has a good/clear enough video copy of the program out there, you may be able to note the film production company's name on the end titles. This is thought to be a Soho based company, although sadly I have no further info at this point. It is apparently they and not the BBC or Stephen that may have access or reason to print such materials for further publication.

Regards,

F.F.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 8:07pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Could that perhaps be

IWC Media

St George's Studio, 93-97 St George's Road, Glasgow, G3 6JA,
T: 0141 353 3222
3-6 Kenrick Place, London, W1U 6HD, T: 020 7317 2230

their website is: http://www.iwcmedia.co.uk/

MerryMary

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 10:40pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
P.S. Mary ( and other interested parties )

It has been suggested to me that if anybody has a good/clear enough video copy of the program out there, you may be able to note the film production company's name on the end titles. This is thought to be a Soho based company, although sadly I have no further info at this point. It is apparently they and not the BBC or Stephen that may have access or reason to print such materials for further publication.

Regards,

F.F.

For the Boston Legal transcripts, DEK Productions sends out a preliminary script after the airing. Our volunteers then take the thing and comb through it in tandem to their recording of the episode, line by line, after which it is published it on the site. That may be the only solution here. If anyone did record this, hint, hint, perhaps a little community service is your calling?

Many thanks to all.

FF, you are always welcome. PM me anytime.
Merry

ClareBear

Posted Fri May 4th, 2007 11:40pm Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Fryphile usually likes transcribing stuff.......don't think he'd mind too much.

MerryMary

Posted Sat May 5th, 2007 12:50am Post subject: Transcriptions of SLOTMD???
Hello? Fryphile? Care to help? Perhaps I'll PM him then.
Many thanks.
MM