Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Daefuin

Posted Tue Dec 4th, 2007 10:57pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
Good day to you!

I'm russian, and I've been translating Let Fame into our language.
I have no idea what got into me, because it's simply suicide :)))

I have some problems, and if you could help me, I'd be immensely grateful.

Please tell me what the highlighted phrases mean, or how they should be read, so I could translate them.
Thanks in advance!

Johnny Carson was so surprised/irked/mortified at going unremarked in London whenever he showed up, as he did regularly for Wimbledon Fortnight, that he arranged for British TV to carry his Tonight Show at a reduced rate

It’s bad enough with professional photographers in studios (and believe me, it really is bad enough, I loathe the experience), but to have to freeze the face into something akin to a smile time after time after time while the bewildered operator footles uselessly about with the tiny little tits hat pass for buttons and switches

Crowds gather, what could have been a quick anonymous chat has become a full-on photo-op

whatonearth

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 12:38am Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
OK, the second one, 'tiny little tits hat pass for buttons and switches', has a typo. I'm assuming it should read 'tiny little tits that pass for buttons and switches'. He's just getting a bit wound up here I think he's probably saying that the buttons and switches on a mobile phone/camera are so small that they're like little nipples? breasts? I would go for nipples. The buttons resemble tiny nipples that are totally impractical if you have fingers and thumbs any larger than a pin head, which is why the operator (mentioned earlier in the sentence) has so much trouble with them and spends ages trying to set the picture up, while in the meantime Stephen is standing there with a fixed grin on his face, feeling more and more awkward and uncomfortable. He elaborates on this after, of course.

Did that make any kind of sense? From your post your English seems spot on so I'm sure you would have had no trouble interpreting it once you realised that 'hats' actually meant 'that's, but I just attempted the terrible sin of trying to explain humour so I'm not sure I did a very good job...

The last one is an abbreviation of 'full-on photo opportunity', that is, what begins as a small, private conversation with a fan soon turns into a mass of fans with cameras and camera phones trying to take pictures of him and it all gets pretty unpleasant.

Well I hope that helped somewhat, sorry if I over elaborated unnecessarily, or maybe made it even more confusing, just let me know or maybe someone else will be able to jump in and do a better job of explaining it than me

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 1:59am Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
to carry his Tonight Show at a reduced rate - to carry is транслировать, at a reduced rate - со скидкой, с уценкой; за полцены. Т.е. испугался за свой статус суперзвезды и дешево отдал, только бы крутили.

Про 'tits' хорошо обьяснил(а) mockingbird. Сказано не особенно красиво, и к тому же с явной опечаткой.

full-on photo-op - от "photo opportunity" - в данном случае, полноценная возможность для зевак нащелкать фоток звезды.

Сойдет?

whatonearth

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 6:39am Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
haha oh you smartarse AxmxZ

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 5:49pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
Just doing my part.

whatonearth

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 9:01pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
i want to know why you mentioned my name now

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Dec 5th, 2007 11:52pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
I just deferred to your explanation re: nipples, that's all.

Daefuin

Posted Thu Dec 6th, 2007 4:27pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
mockingbird,
thank you so much!
I understand you perfectly, you've been really helpful.

AxmxZ, X-D ! Спасибо!

Daefuin

Posted Thu Dec 6th, 2007 9:25pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
I don't think it will make any sense to you, but in order to keep things right, I assume, I have to give the link to the translation...

http://community.livejournal.com/laurie_ru/127178.html

(yes, it's in the laurie-oriented community, but don't let it bother you. usually fans of F&L cling together :)))

whatonearth

Posted Thu Dec 6th, 2007 10:48pm Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)
I just deferred to your explanation re: nipples, that's all.

Ah I see, I didn't even notice the first time round actually!

And you're welcome Daefuin

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Dec 7th, 2007 5:10am Post subject: Translating "Let Fame" (really need some help!)

(yes, it's in the laurie-oriented community, but don't let it bother you. usually fans of F&L cling together :)))

Гусары, ма-ааалча-аать!!