Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Tue Oct 21st, 2008 11:58pm Post subject: Trying to get University to put Stephen Fry book on reading
I am studying a degree in English and Creative Writing. As I have said on here in the past, Stephen Fry has helped me so much in my degree with his books and documentries, but he did it again.

The Ode Less Travelled. What an inspiration to aspiring poets. We are looking at poetry at the moment, and that includes the Villenelles, Sonnets, and all other forms, as well as understanding metre and pretty much everything in his book.

I have, begrudgingly, lent my copy of the book to my teacher, in the hopes that he puts it in the suggested reading list next year, because it ismy belief that anyone studying poetry, whether to write it or to analyse it, should read this book. It tells you all about the different forms. (And Stephen's own poetry in the book is an interesting read too). Plus this book is written with Stephens usual humour and charm, so it isn't a bring stuffy text.

WhyGenTom

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:34am Post subject: Trying to get University to put Stephen Fry book on reading
I am studying a degree in English and Creative Writing. As I have said on here in the past, Stephen Fry has helped me so much in my degree with his books and documentries, but he did it again.

The Ode Less Travelled. What an inspiration to aspiring poets. We are looking at poetry at the moment, and that includes the Villenelles, Sonnets, and all other forms, as well as understanding metre and pretty much everything in his book.

I have, begrudgingly, lent my copy of the book to my teacher, in the hopes that he puts it in the suggested reading list next year, because it ismy belief that anyone studying poetry, whether to write it or to analyse it, should read this book. It tells you all about the different forms. (And Stephen's own poetry in the book is an interesting read too). Plus this book is written with Stephens usual humour and charm, so it isn't a bring stuffy text.

Good for you =] There's no denying the man is a littery genious... (yes, spelling, clearly I'm not lol).. and should be avaliable to everyone and anyone.

Incidently where are you studying because that's exactly the kind of course I was hoping to do this year only Lincoln (my only local university) don't offer anything.

Tom
xx

amberzak

Posted Wed Oct 22nd, 2008 7:46pm Post subject: Trying to get University to put Stephen Fry book on reading
I am at Chichester University and I recommend the course. It is degree in Engish and Creative Writing. Look it up. I love it here. The University is quite small, so you get the individual attention needed too.

bingethinker

Posted Thu Oct 30th, 2008 2:46pm Post subject: Trying to get University to put Stephen Fry book on reading
I read English at Utrecht University and last year, The Ode Less Travelled was seriously recommended by our 18th century teacher who told us that this would really help us grasp the beauty of poetry or nothing would.

We also did a subcourse called "Language of Humour" where we had to present different examples of humour to explain current theories. Not one class would pass without someone using a Bit of Fry and Laurie clip.
At the end-of-term exam, there was a question on camp humour, where we had to analyse a fragment of Oscar Wilde. I could use almost everything Fry said in his podgram about Wilde.

Seriously, when it's our time to teach; Stephen Fry will be a serious part of the curiculum.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Nov 11th, 2008 7:21pm Post subject: Trying to get University to put Stephen Fry book on reading

We also did a subcourse called "Language of Humour" where we had to present different examples of humour to explain current theories. Not one class would pass without someone using a Bit of Fry and Laurie clip.
At the end-of-term exam, there was a question on camp humour, where we had to analyse a fragment of Oscar Wilde. I could use almost everything Fry said in his podgram about Wilde.

Your class sounds so cool.

I'm training to teach now and I keep thinking of sketches from A Bit of Fry and Laurie I could use to teach sociology. I think I need to rewatch the whole series to give me more ideas.

Assuming direct control...