Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 9:33am Post subject: tsk tsk
QI folks - we no longer refer to the Aboriginal People as Aborigines - that term has racial overtones. Would be similar to calling someone a negro. Nowadays you would refer to them as African/African America, etc.

Not a huge fan of the old political correctness myself, however it is the truth

gadgetgirl

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 9:56am Post subject: tsk tsk
I guess we have not caught up with you guys Occy, but then we don't know the half of what went on. What phrase is used, if any?

I'm sure I've seen that Kangeroo anecdote used on QI before, anyone else think so?

That would be me.

Occy

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 11:10am Post subject: tsk tsk
Aboriginal People is the 'respectful' term. Frankly I prefer their own term 'blackfellas' but I wouldn't be game to use it as some people would not be happy that I did. I like my face where it is.

Kangaroo btw

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 11:40am Post subject: tsk tsk
Yeah it's definitely been used before, I thought that when it came on, (I think it was just used for Terry Wogan's benefit) because Stephen said 'kangaroo' in a miscellanious accent :D.

Great episode though, the time flew, I was there thinking 'no way has that been half an hour'. The next one's at christmas, right?

@dreamingshadow

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 12:21pm Post subject: tsk tsk
Yeah it's definitely been used before, I thought that when it came on, (I think it was just used for Terry Wogan's benefit) because Stephen said 'kangaroo' in a miscellanious accent :D.

Great episode though, the time flew, I was there thinking 'no way has that been half an hour'. The next one's at christmas, right?

So the kangaroo question has been up before then? I was just saying to my sister it all seemed familiar.

Assuming direct control...

amberzak

Posted Sat Nov 15th, 2008 9:29pm Post subject: tsk tsk
The Kangaroo was asked before, in series 1.

It was used for Terry Wogans benifit, because Stephen said that he knew Terry Wogan would say that (or something like that).

I think Stephen quite enjoyed making Terry Wogan look like a fool on national TV. he he. I was cringing when Wogan was giving his long winded answer, because I knew what was coming.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 10:54am Post subject: tsk tsk

It was used for Terry Wogans benifit, because Stephen said that he knew Terry Wogan would say that (or something like that).

I think Stephen quite enjoyed making Terry Wogan look like a fool on national TV. he he. I was cringing when Wogan was giving his long winded answer, because I knew what was coming.

Wogan was so sulky at the end when he lost, even Alan beat him!

Assuming direct control...

amberzak

Posted Sun Nov 16th, 2008 2:00pm Post subject: tsk tsk

Wogan was so sulky at the end when he lost, even Alan beat him!

Yeah. I laughed. :-//