Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 3:26am Post subject: Twitter bullies

Does anyone remember last year how some poor guy on twitter made what was, really, a very mild opinion about something Mr.Fry had said, and then was just smashed in a wave of I think what they call 'twitter bullying'? It was practically a digital gang rape of the guy, the twitter 'mob' of Fry followers, ( though they can also be any 'name inserted here' followers ), just went after him with a viciousness and near crucifixion of the guy that was so bad Mr.Fry had to step in at one point and ask people to back off.

They say that's become a real issue now. Where someone on Twitter @someceleb with just even a ( gasp! ) differing opinon and then some 'core' group of followers begins harassing, intimdating, and otherwise sniping at the person who's said a thing.

This, to me, is the unspeakably ugly side of Twitters power. You know? It's like these petty defenders of their fave celeb lambast and nearly put a dissenters head on the virtual spike. What happened that dude I used in this example was just a really stunning look at how the tool that Twitter is can also be used to 'mob' people with differing opinions. I mean the reaction of uber-fans, some of them, was just beyond rude and so without objectivity you'd think they'd lost their minds.

I'd like to see the folks behind Twitter put some sort of 'stop' process when a big gaggle of 'followers' starts to bully one little twitterer. Wouldn't you?

Really? Wow.

mvet88

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 11:30am Post subject: Twitter bullies

Interesting thought. I think in this particular case you refer to, the anger of the fans had a lot to do with Stephens reaction rather than what was actually said. I doubt many people would have taken notice of that particular tweet otherwise.
Whilst I don't agree with ganging up on someone about an innocuous tweet, why bother to tweet something negative to a celebrity in the first place? Surely you'd expect some form of retaliation?

Nitro

Posted Tue Jan 4th, 2011 2:30pm Post subject: Twitter bullies

"...why bother to tweet something negative to a celebrity in the first place? Surely you'd expect some form of retaliation?"

Are you serious? 'Retaliation'? Oh my.

Is there some Twitter rule that requires people all hold exactly the same opinion? Are celebrities not to be disagreed with? My example didn't include nor pertain to tweeters who say outrageous things specifically to get a rise. But even if they *did*, how would that justify an onslaught of digital assault 'in retatliation', not by the celebrity but by their 'followers'? two wrongs and a right thing intruding?

I mildly agree with you no one would have noticed had he not been replied if it weren't for the fact followers often do see each others tweets to one person. So, it's not even a case always of 'the intended' seeing a thing, but rather whoever's crowding around them.

Really? Wow.

mvet88

Posted Wed Jan 5th, 2011 11:39am Post subject: Twitter bullies

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not talking about disagreeing with a celebrity, I'm thinking of situations where people deliberately tweet a negative comment, however slight it may be, to the celebrity in question. It serves no purpose but to offend or hurt. I can't stand Paris Hilton but I'm not going out of my way to tweet that to her. And if I was silly enough to do that, then yes, I would expect her fans to get angry and be on the offensive.
But in terms of being persecuted for posting a comment that differed in opinion to someone, of course I think thats wrong!

Nitro

Posted Wed Jan 5th, 2011 3:13pm Post subject: Twitter bullies

I'm sorry, I guess it's just a comment like this:

"And if I was silly enough to do that, then yes, I would expect her fans to get angry and be on the offensive."

..that strikes me as undermining your point or in opposition to what you're trying to say. I don't want to assume I totally 'get' your point nor make you feel like I'm tearing at you. That would be a total Fail on my part. I admit to being confused by your answer a little and that may be because we define 'negative' in different ways. I'm just guessing at this point.

I think you have as much 'right', so to speak, to tell Paris Hilton off as she does to stumble about drunk in public. If she wants to reply to you about it, fine. If she ignores you, fine. But your tweet, ( that word...glug..), does not still, to me, justify an angry mob crashing down on your head. It's a little like saying,"I'm all for free speech but don't go in the square and yell 'England sucks!' because when The Offended come for you...well...you ASKED for it."

*That* logic I cannot buy into if that's what you're putting forth. And if I'm reading you wrong, I'm sorry.

Really? Wow.