Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sun Jan 29th, 2012 2:49pm Post subject: Twitter censor

so twatter's publically acknowledging that yes, indeed, they will be censoring tweets and doing this right on the tail of the whole SOPA issue going public

i say 'going public' because these policies and potential laws existed and were/are being worked on much longer than before the Masses become aware of them - which brings me to my point:

i'm SO ticked off when users of FB or Twitter start expressing outrage or shock about these social networking sites already conforming to SOPA's basic ideologies, and they've been warned by geeks online about this for awhile, and then whine and gripe when it hits them more directly than they could've imagined

For instance, FaceBook's new law regarding the Timeline feature is essentially this: You have 7 days to 'sanitize' your account of photos or posts you may find embarassing these days or in the future. After that, we post ALL OF IT, FOREVER on the site and you CANNOT GO BACK and sanitize it later.

Well, for people who started using social networking back in the early 2000's, especially those under 40, they've got a lot of work ahead of them and their 'friends'.

The fact that the goverments want control of the internet and want to lock it down and legally follow without warrants etc etc does not surprise me. Every government has a facist, power hungry freak hiding it somewhere with dreams of punishments exacted for 'out of norm' behavior. What pisses me off is that so many people have ignored repeatedly sites like the old Facebook Seppeku. Facebook sued the Seppeku people into silence ( shut up or else! ) and the power that seppeku gave to facebook users to totally delete ( REALLY delete ) their accounts went bye bye. (btw, i once posted how you can do that without seppeku's help but am not going to do that again as i'm sure it will be as ignored as this post will be ).

When you play the sheep, ba-ba-ing along, and then find you can clearly see the butchers hands and whoops, it's too late for you..you dont' really have a right to bleet about how unfair things are because you went along with the herd. Evil rises because good people stay silent. Well, it's one of the reasons lol

If you haven't figured it out yet Facebook users, that Timeline feature is their ultimate catch all. They legally own all your content anyway. The details of your life, the photos, the links, your friends and families photos etc etc. Twitter users, there's a reason that other tweeters are in uproar right now.

Ignore these facts as you like and oh, btw, be very, very careful about those who do the old 'oh poo-poo, pfft...it's not all THAT bad' wether they be talking heads or writers. Ask them to answer one question: How much stock do you own in either of these companies? 'nough said.

I've already had, and I just woke up, FIFTEEN emails of freinds and/or family squawking at me about how upset they are by all these new censorship or ownership policies by google, and facebook and twitter and the SOPA stuff...man, you know, me and a helluva lot of other people have been warning you about this and tried to help you adopt some better tech behavior.

But there you went bleeting on to the butcher anyway...yeesh!! What did you EXPECT?!! Concern for YOUR feelings about censorship?

ROFLMAO...right. You did. And that's your problem. Well if you're gonna swim with these tech sharks, don't whine when they bite your legs off.

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Jan 29th, 2012 5:53pm Post subject: Twitter censor

Insight regarding Twitter censoring: http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/twitter-twe.....e--1058152

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Mon Feb 6th, 2012 3:59am Post subject: Twitter censor

Alot of the recent hubbub has to do, too, with the lack of transparency to users beforehand. Using the 'you get it for free' argument isn't much of an arguement when what is at stake is their ability and practice to permanently keep your tweets as tehir property, or FB contents as FB's for resale. Why not mention this in plainer view versus burying it in 20 pages of small print that has only the 'i agree' or 'i reject' button before proceeding? Particularly because if the FBI do go to them and want their logs, tehy'll be handing them over and you could be woken up for questioning one morning because it winds up one of your friends didn't tell you they were involved in some crime, but you're now in a guilt by association situation and having to answer uncomftorable questions.

I forget which country he's in, Germany I think, but a man finally decided to test FB's policy that they will send you everything they have on you for your review. Not many people do this and, in fact, I think he's the first one. Now, first I must say here he is not a heavy FB user. He says once a week maybe.

He got back from FB 1,024 pages of information they had on him!!! He's still going through most of it. The worst part, imho, of the information was that EXACT geolocation of the last computer he used. The specific coordinates for THAT computer. And, they had hundreds of pages on sites he'd browsed to OUTSIDE of FB. If that doesn't tell you they leaving a tracking cooking in your browser, I don't know what else can.

I'm relieved that Europe has stiffer laws about what FB and Twitter can get away with. FB is just too far off in right field running that service like the chinese run their people,"WE KNOW WHAT'S BEST FOR YOU!!"

Really? Wow.

croose

Posted Wed Feb 8th, 2012 11:14pm Post subject: Twitter censor

I am not really a big fan of twitter but when social networking sites go at it with SOPA, I do think that that is such a big game changer.

There shouldn't be any type of bias over that form of medium considering how they could be of very little bid to boost piracy. I mean, they are just making a sort of different stomp to take control considering the buzz they are generating more than ever.

Nitro

Posted Tue Feb 21st, 2012 6:52am Post subject: Twitter censor

Plans to 'control' and 'organize' the internet have been afoot since Microsoft's Windows/cheap pc's exponentially changed the consumption rate of the interwebz. The problem for extremists is always the laws on the books that restrict their plans, so they have to first go about getting those laws changed and then replaced by more stringent ones that suit their goals.

It doesn't help that some of our best network security systems inside gov agencies have been repeatedly hacked by the Chinese, who are easily 30 years ahead of most of the West when it comes to 'cracking'. There ARE people who lay awake at night thinking about how to break security systems. So there have to be people whose career it is to defeat and foil them.

And it's that sort of spook stuff that is used to justify control of the data flowing into and out of the millions of computers worldwide. Previous to that, the battle cry was about sexual deviants being a terrible threat. Thankfully, there are law enforcement agencies who work together now to put the baby rapers and such behind bars or at least bust up their bot rings for awhile.

I don't support the 'well if you don't have anything to hide, what's the big deal?' form of illogic used to handle what's going on. The spooky people absolutely do need to do their jobs, but if it means doing it at the expense of civil freedoms that a majority of people enjoy and depend on, I just have to say they need to find another way.

These are scary times in terms of this subject and proposed laws and the big tech folks who work in collusion with one hand and cries of 'freedom!' for their customers in the other. I'd have a lot more respect, though I'd still disagree with, Google and Apple and FaceBook if they just demonstrated some balls and said,"We plan to work in partnership with Agency X to defeat Enemy Y anytime they tell us to." than their continual shadow boxing around the truth.

Really? Wow.

Anthony Miller

Posted Wed Apr 4th, 2012 6:39pm Post subject: Twitter censor

Facebook act as though they are above the law. Print all kinds of libel and it is a real effort to force them to remove it.

It's swings and roundabouts. For social media to work you have to share information. This is why (save for twitter which I view as a list of links to articles) I never use them. If you cant say it on an open forum dont say it all is my view. Or build your own website. I did. And it may be rubbish but Facebook can stay out my face.

http://www.pearshapedcomedy.com

Nitro

Posted Wed Jun 27th, 2012 2:04pm Post subject: Twitter censor

Facebook and Twitter both are going to remain targets of undoing by nefarious types. For all their money, it's surprising they've been hacked at all, but they have been.

They count on the willfull suspension of disbelief by their users in regards to privacy intrusion and security issues.

I've been asked by people before to 'check out their computers' for vunerabilities and when I tell them they already have boatloads of spyware on it, they just want it removed and then to continue carrying on as they do. If I mention the potential impact on their lives as a result of certain types of information of theirs being stolen, and how it's just a hop,skip, and a jump from one type of superficial data to the kind that's life altering, they are stubborn and will say,"Meh!! I'm not worried about it. Let 'em try. I don't have anything to steal." and variants of that statement.

I don't answer the call for help from users like this anymore and doubly so as it's not the way I make a living. So it's kind of useless when a story about Facebook creating email accounts for their users and then making those email accounts THE DEFAULT email setting for users without their consent; that Facebook has embedded, ( though now retracted supposedly ), geolocation tracing on users WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT; and that Facebook actually assists the efforts of peoples stalkers rather than helping them stay safe; when these facts hit the mainstream news, which usually means the info is rather late, people STILL ignore it. And what I've mentioned is just the short list.

Twitter's policy now is to hand over any and all information on its users when the authorities make a request for documentation, and this is also done without their consent nor foreknowledge. They don't even get the courtesy of a warning.

Have at it folks and good luck with that...

Really? Wow.

joan

Posted Fri Aug 3rd, 2012 11:31pm Post subject: Twitter censor

Glad that I avoid twitter, and only read facebook - rarely post.