Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

outremian

Posted Mon Mar 9th, 2009 7:03am Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
Good morning all (tip of the hat to Mr Fry if you're reading),

Australian emailing from South Africa asking for thoughts/musings on the following statement (if anyone finds some potential in it):

"The more interesting angle for me is how Twitter and Facebook reflect where our writing is going thanks to the Internet. In 15 years, writing went from "reflecting on what happened and putting together some coherent thoughts" to "reflecting on what happened as quickly as possible" to "reflecting on what's happening as it's happening" to "here are my half-baked thoughts about absolutely anything and I'm not even going to attempt to entertain you," or as I like to call it, Twitter/Facebook Syndrome."

This was written by Bill Simmons, a sports journalist for ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090306 - about a fifth to a quarter way down the page). I follow Stephen's blog posts through a LiveJournal RSS feed and recently saw the enthusiastic comments around Twitter, particularly in relation to Kipling's journalistic views. I thought the above might provide an interesting starting point on how the overall use of net blogging devices affect how we communicate and the depth of same. I do recognise that there are a number of clever, witty and entertaining Twitters/Bloggers/Facebookers out there, but I think Simmons is talking about the general populace. Feel free to discuss.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Nitro

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 5:33am Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
Ever read "Bowling Alone" by Robert Putnam?

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 5:26pm Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
I've read it. I suppose the question then becomes do we think that such platforms like FaceBook and Twitter etc. enable us to bond and bridge successfully enough to gain what Putnam refers to as social capital, or is the opposite happening? Interesting.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 7:01pm Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
Yes, it is interesting. To be fair to Putnam, that book came out before the big online social sites really got into full swing..

Something like Meetup.com actually lends itself as a bridge between the online connection to the real world for people to build the social capitol that help, but are not the sole variables, to keep a community bonded and thriving. Another recent example on this site is the LaidOffCamp movement. But, are we seeing any kind of effort to do anything beyond immediate self-interest? LinkedIn, for instance, is driven by that but where is the site that connects people to the elderly/home bound in their community or the food pantry volunteers etc etc? Dating and careers seem to be the primary drivers in making online connections, followed by hobbies and such. I'm not sure when or if that shift from,"What promotes my interest?" to "How can I help my community in tangible ways." is going to be as popular as making sure my friends know via Twitter that I've eaten lunch X-D

Really? Wow.

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Mar 14th, 2009 8:17pm Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
Yes, it is interesting. To be fair to Putnam, that book came out before the big online social sites really got into full swing..

Something like Meetup.com actually lends itself as a bridge between the online connection to the real world for people to build the social capitol that help, but are not the sole variables, to keep a community bonded and thriving. Another recent example on this site is the LaidOffCamp movement. But, are we seeing any kind of effort to do anything beyond immediate self-interest? LinkedIn, for instance, is driven by that but where is the site that connects people to the elderly/home bound in their community or the food pantry volunteers etc etc? Dating and careers seem to be the primary drivers in making online connections, followed by hobbies and such. I'm not sure when or if that shift from,"What promotes my interest?" to "How can I help my community in tangible ways." is going to be as popular as making sure my friends know via Twitter that I've eaten lunch X-D

Point taken, and I concede to the thought that online "bridging" resources are sorely lacking with regard to the examples you've given, and many more and need to include the entire community. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say that dating and careers seem to be 2 of the primary drivers when making any sort of connection, online or other. To be honest I'm kind of on the fence about this, I see your points very clearly and I don't disagree with them, but I can't decide whether or not it isn't just human nature, for lack of a better term, which dictates these social behaviors. The people who don't connect with their communities in the conventional ways are more than likely going to be the same ones that don't connect with their communities online, and if a person is socially active within their community they're probably going to supplement that activity with their online resources right? By the way, what did you have for lunch?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Nitro

Posted Sun Mar 15th, 2009 5:44pm Post subject: Twitter/Facebook Musing
I had a bagel with cream cheese.

I'd be willing to bet many people feel informed, thanks to the speed of information being passed around, but otherwise feel powerless.

One of things that Putnam mentions is that local civic involvement has decreased tons and tons. People are more apt to go to career networking events than events that network them with local politics, what's going on in the school in their neighborhood, getting businesses involved with charitable events etc. "Act locally, think globally" is a swell little term but it's just a catch phrase that looks good on a bumper sticker from what I've seen. And I'm at least as guilty as anyone else when it comes to self-centric behavior. I don't have a clue who the mayor in my own town is but I know who the president is. I know more about what's happening in China than I do with my neighbors down the street. And what I do know of my local area is driven by my own interests ( hobbies ) not any kind of 'civic pride'. Which, in terms of social capitol, means that I might as well be bankrupt.

There's a mindset, group think almost, that is pervasive and a new lexicon to go with it. Sometimes I sense a monumental scam has been pulled on all of us X-D

Really? Wow.