Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

hanna

Posted Sat Jun 20th, 2009 5:20pm Post subject: Twittermania?
A thought:

Perhaps our forebears were better off than we, leading simple "real" not "virtual" lives and being twitter free?

Ann x

P.S. An astronaut has twittered from space! This service is literally out of this world.....

PamJH

Posted Sat Jun 20th, 2009 5:37pm Post subject: Twittermania?
Possibly. But our forebears also didn't have the opportunity to learn what's going on around the world with just a few keystrokes.

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Jun 20th, 2009 6:19pm Post subject: Twittermania?
If people are living "virtual" lives instead of "real" ones, than I think their problem is much bigger than anything twitter could have created.

PamJH

Posted Sat Jun 20th, 2009 6:42pm Post subject: Twittermania?
If people are living "virtual" lives instead of "real" ones, than I think their problem is much bigger than anything twitter could have created.

Exactly. Everything in life should be as balanced as possible.

Nitro

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 3:49am Post subject: Twittermania?
dons flame retardant suit..again..

Much of it is due to a shared instinct with lemmings X-D

I think people who say that Twitter is a 'time-saver' are full of shit.

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Jul 13th, 2009 8:13am Post subject: Twittermania?
Twitter saves me a ton of time. I've saved ages in not having to talk to my ex who is still a dear friend. He just reads my twitter and then doesn't call me long distance when he hasn't heard from me in 3 days.

It's second life that almost killed my chance at a normal existence but I broke that spell too.

To be honest...I'm glad I don't live in the time of the forefathers. I have had rare diseases and major illnesses. I would have died at age 8 if I grew up during those times.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Help

Posted Tue Jul 14th, 2009 12:28pm Post subject: Twittermania?
dons flame retardant suit..again..

Much of it is due to a shared instinct with lemmings X-D

I think people who say that Twitter is a 'time-saver' are full of shit.
There's no way it's a 'time-saver' it's forever bloody not working!

michael

Posted Tue Jul 14th, 2009 10:13pm Post subject: Twittermania?
it is great for those of us who cannot afford internet service at our homes.

i can get messages from friends in USA and abroad through twitter via a text message on my phone. it's not the same as internet on my phone...so it's basically FREE, and a call or a text to my phone number from a foriegn friend would start costing a lot.

it's not just a thing for techy people or an internet fad, it depends on how one uses it. for a lot of people, it can be a new, cheap way to do something they couldn't have afforded before. there is a homeless guy from D.C. who uses twitter to connect with folks and advocate for better resources for the homeless. he has a blog too, but can only update that when he's online at a library. twitter means friends can get in touch with him and he can help them. he can probly buy a phone with some preloaded minutes for not much. (he does have a job...just not a home)

but, i can only communicate with it reliably if people UNDERSTAND that some people don't have internet...for example: if a friend tweets links to things, links to pics, blogs, etc...it's kind of frustrating if they don't describe it, etc. Or if a friend is getting into some hashtag game and tweeting about 20 in a row, i hafta stop following them or my phone will be beeping constantly. Or, this is the wierdest...all direct messages get texted to me, so now every once in awhile i get woken up at 2am because someone across the pond wants to recruit me for their "spy ring."

so, obv, some folks don't use it the same way i do! but i still befriend them, of course.

unfortunately now there are so many people using it i can't reliably recieve messages. and there's no magic filter to insure michael gets a msg about a friend going to the hospital ... when there's so many folks tweeting about their new way to attract a million followers.

http://help.twitter.com/forums/31935/entries/45401

they are trying to fix it in future.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Aug 8th, 2009 6:04pm Post subject: Twittermania?

Like most things in life social networking and twittering has it's pros and cons. It seems to be common for people to look at the past with rose tinted glasses (people as in general, not a specific person). It can seem we've lost a lot of things like a sense of community, knowing who your neighbours are, living life out in the 'real world' and so on. There are plenty of great things we have gained on the other hand like equal rights, better health care and medicine, higher literacy rates and so on.

Technology is a mixed bundle. It makes life easier and faster in ways and in others more stressful because it makes life faster and easier. We've become a culture of now now now. We want everything faster and faster all the time. Unfortunately this can be very stressful, technology makes it harder for people to leave work at work and can be more and more easily accessed wherever and whenever. Virtual life is a mixed bundle as well. Social networking can be good as you can find friends you lost touch with and start meeting up with each other again in real life. It can be an easy and fast way of communicating with other people whether for friendship or work (the technology working properly that is). It can also be good for signing up to local clubs, theatres [etc] and getting updates on events and it's all in one place (like facebook) rather than dozens of other sites that you start forgetting to check up on.

How virtual life affects people is complicated. It can be great for those who lack confidence in striking friendships in real life and can be a way of making friends with people you may never have met in real life. It can also be a way of meeting people with similar interests to you, especially if your interests are not mainstream and you're living in a place where you feel like the only one who isn't into the 'drinking and pulling' scene. Another good use of access to such resources as twitter and social networking sites is for those who are unable to leave their homes such as due to a physical disability.

There are dangers of virtual life as well with it being easy to get totally sucked into it and spend every waking moment you get, every free minute logging on, surfing pages and hitting the refresh button. Twitter is a good example of this. It's easy to get stuck on there for hours if you're not careful. As others here have said you need balance in life and while it is good talking to friends online if you have opportunities for fun and friendship offline don't neglect them and allow yourself to drift away so that your whole life becomes fixed to the computer.

Assuming direct control...

Akhen1khan2

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 9:02am Post subject: Twittermania?

Dont knock it folks. There is always room for yet more ways for the housebound like me to communicate with other people in and across the world. I embrace technology. Without it my books would remain on the hardrive that is my mind

Akhen1khan2

Posted Thu Sep 17th, 2009 12:42pm Post subject: Twittermania?

Why dont you visit either my Twitter at Akhen1khan2, or my scribd page at http://www.scribd.com/jackeason. You never know folks, you may like to read my humble efforts. Look for "Turning Point" and its follow up "Onet's Tale".. Happy reading

henry

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 9:44am Post subject: Twittermania?

PamJH said:
Possibly. But our forebears also didn't have the opportunity to learn what's going on around the world with just a few keystrokes.

CAN you really learn what´s going on in the world with just a few keystrokes...? I don´t think so!

Akhen1khan2

Posted Sat Sep 19th, 2009 10:17am Post subject: Twittermania?

By the same token Henry, can you learn what's going on in the world through the obssesive repetition of BBC,ITV,or Channel 4, or 5. Unless they can repeat a repeat of a story, they're not interested. Their brand of lazy journalism misses out so much of what is happeningin the world outside the comfy studio's. Whereas with the stroke of a few keys of this computer, I can read articles in papers around the world. Watch video clips of events happening around the world, which our "News Morons" would never deliver...

saxmadsteve

Posted Mon Oct 12th, 2009 3:42pm Post subject: Twittermania?

Last year my son left home for Aberystwyth university. We have mobile phones and all the other ways of communication, but Twitter has helped keep us in touch in real time. In other words I look back down the Twitter page and at three o'clock this afternoon I know he got out of bed. Doh! Also how else would I be able to keep up with what Stephen is doing?

I went to the Opera the other night,they don't like it when you join in do they?

Akhen1khan2

Posted Mon Oct 12th, 2009 3:59pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I wonder if the time will come when we will be able to communicate via our minds only? Don't laugh, I'm serious. Maybe in the future we will all have a chip wired into our brains - anything is possible. After all, the president of IBM predicted that the personal pc would never happen and now look at where we are