Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Akhen1khan2

Posted Thu Oct 15th, 2009 9:54am Post subject: Twittermania?

Take a trip into tomorrow, yesterday and beyond. Download "Turning Point" and "Onet's Tale" at http://fantasyguide.stormthecastle.com/fantasy-books/jack-eason.htm

Come on, you know you want to read a bit of escapist literature while on the tube, bus, or train

phymonarg

Posted Tue Nov 17th, 2009 1:03am Post subject: Twittermania?

Hmm, I'll confess I have shied away from Twitter. I'm not a very 'open' type of person, and even hated Second Life, which I've signed up for twice.

I think that I shall never see, an elephant in a rhubarb tree. (S Milligan)

Hermi80

Posted Mon Apr 26th, 2010 7:10pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I have recently joined Twitter and am bemused by it. People can be truly entertaining and fascinating with their twitterings...it is a bit of fun...not a place for intellectual debate...the clue is in the name TWITter

'I am gone, though I am here'

busapar3

Posted Mon May 31st, 2010 9:53pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I am really into Twitter....cant stop it....saves me texting all the time....but I dont use facebook.

Add me on twitter....Username: BUSAPAR3

beat the blues

Posted Fri Jun 11th, 2010 9:06am Post subject: Twittermania?

Hi all,
I am completely confused by twitter. I thought it might be a good way to gain votes for my support group (Beat the Blues) as we are through to the semi-finals for a National lottery award. Unfortunately I van't get people to twitter us.
What is the best way to get the word out there? I was hoping Stephen may take it on board as his support would be fantastic for promoting mental health.
Hope someone can help.
Lisa Robinson

Please vote for us at http://www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/awards

Stephenfrys_dog

Posted Mon Jul 12th, 2010 7:26pm Post subject: Twittermania?

As my granny always told me ........'everything in moderation'! x

Lover of all things Fry'ed

Marlfox

Posted Tue Sep 21st, 2010 9:00pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I love the new world of twitterisms. Never have I taken it for a time saver (one would save most of the time if not on in the twittersphere at all), but it is a fantastic exercise to put your thoughts in just 145 characters. Me? I had quite some trouble with that, but it's getting better.
Happy Tweeting, everyone!

--------------------------------------------
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

SherryDee

Posted Mon Nov 8th, 2010 1:47pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I recently joined twitter. I'm highly confused by it all and to be honest I'm not sure I can really be bothers to spend the time it will take to get familiar enough with it to make the most of it. I much prefer forums. They move at a more sensible pace and the messages seem more thought out rather than just the random abuse, which seems to make up much of twitter.

One great thing about Twitter though is I found this forum/Blog on it.

Life goes up and down. The secret is learning just to enjoy the ride.

les photons

Posted Wed Nov 10th, 2010 5:28pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I'm new to Twitter myself and find it both confusing and interesting. Feels like some sort of loosely connected synaptic phenomenon between people.

Nitro

Posted Wed Jan 5th, 2011 2:24pm Post subject: Twittermania?

I think it's also amusing that when people give examples of why social networking via tech is so great, they almost always use real life examples or are, in fact, speaking of real life ( or 'the meat world' as a friend of mine likes to say ).

The point that some of this stuff is following people home, off work but related to work, is terribly depressing if you're not in some sort of emergency related field ( e.g. medical/law enforcement ). A person should be able to put in an honest days work and then be left alone to enjoy their lives. Instead, employers now feel quite alright about making workers lives more of a hell than they've ever been. Instead of working to live, people are living to work.

Also, most of us just are not nearly as interesting as we think we are, or would like to. That's not undue flaggellation either, it's just true in my personal experience. Even people I know who lead rather charmed and fantastic lives can become dull pretty quickly. Twitter has not improved that

And good gods the marketers have really beat the living crap out of Twitter in particular. I understand salesmen being invasive - up to a point. But with Twitter they can take it to a whole new level.

Finally, I thought I was slightly romanticizing the other people I know who are so removed from anything related to tech - except perhaps related to some form of work - are also the calmest, down to earth, least stressed, and *wise*, ( i hate even using that word in this case i admit ), I know. And I'm sorry, but I do not think that's a coinicidence anymore. You call it 'rose colored glasses' all you like, or a fondness for yesteryear. I call it observation and leave it to others to place it in Time.

FWIW, I've never had any desire to live in the olden days, because as it's already been mentioned, there are improvements that have been made that, comparitively speaking, gives us lives of ease. That includes even twenty years ago. But I don't see Twitter itself, this particular we're talking about, as being any kind of major improvement to peoples lives. In fact, pardon me, before Twitter really 'broke out' and had the huge useage it does now, a couple of people I know who were ardent bloggers, ( and it improved their writing skills immensely compared to some bloggers ), shifted to Twitter not because it's better than blogging or faster or any of that, but because it was the thing to do.

IOW, fashionable. Those who build tech know that this is an important marketing point to capture the consumers with the most flexible spending habits. That analysis changes all the time and is a numbers game I can't think about without wanting to instantly fall asleep.

Really? Wow.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Jun 6th, 2011 6:40pm Post subject: Twittermania?

Nitro said:
The point that some of this stuff is following people home, off work but related to work, is terribly depressing if you're not in some sort of emergency related field ( e.g. medical/law enforcement ). A person should be able to put in an honest days work and then be left alone to enjoy their lives. Instead, employers now feel quite alright about making workers lives more of a hell than they've ever been. Instead of working to live, people are living to work.

I agree, unless you're working in the medical profession, law enforcement or any other service that relates to saving lives, rescuing people etc I don't see why employers should expect you to be on 24/7 call via mobile phones and e-mail. I've experienced this to an abusive extent in the education sector. Where your employer (and students) expects you to answer your phone instantly whether it be on weekends on holidays (public or booked ones), answer all e-mails immediately and do nothing but work every minute of your life. I'd had enough of this, it was damaging to my health and have seen the damage it has done to other people so I left and am happier and healthier for it. I don't live to work, no one goes to their grave surely saying I wish I'd put in a few more hours at the desk? >_< I'm much firmer with people now about how I manage things like e-mail and make it clear that if I'm out of the office then they're going to have to wait.

Assuming direct control...

Apple

Posted Mon Jul 11th, 2011 4:03am Post subject: Twittermania?

I go on Twitter occasionally to see what my favorite actors and shit are up to. I'll post something at random, usually in caps and in as sarcastic a tone as I can get across in text, because no one reads my feed anyway.
I sort of treat it like Facebook, if all Facebook had were status updates.

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

Kubluku

Posted Thu Jul 14th, 2011 8:59pm Post subject: Twittermania?

Well, apple with teeth, I would add you on twitter if you wanted.

also Zebras and horses rape too (in response to your signature) its quite funny to see.

#All I need is love#...
http://www.facebook.com/people/Sean-Anthony-Gilfillan/100000784779534
Please add me, I just want some friends : )

Mandala

Inactive

Posted Tue Jul 26th, 2011 4:45am Post subject: Twittermania?

15-20 really good accounts is about as much time as one person can legitimately devote to actually read what's linked and pay attention to what's really being said. If you find five amazing accounts you're set.

Resort to hash lists only for times of chat roulette nostalgia - or if you find misogyny funny, which I don't unless the joke is specifically engineered to be satirical against the people who champion domination scenarios. Only problem then is when people begin to think it's funny by nature, without bothering to consider the underlying inferred solution toward the problem or at least identify the causes it arises from so the joke is revelatory about the perpetrator or society. Usually it's gender politics.