Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

cecily

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 11:29pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
UFL's (Up from London) seem to populate our North Norfolk coast and believe themselves to be an important part of our County, but as the majority purchase the cottages etc for weekends only, and use them during high days and holidays, our coastal villages are worse than graveyards on a bleak foggy november evening, when the UFL's are not in residence. Unfortunately due to properties being holiday lets or weekend homes more and more villages are loosing their community spirit. Bah humbug

"Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury"

TheElephant

Posted Mon Feb 9th, 2009 2:12am Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
just get to know the housekeepers/keyholders and have Mon to Thurs squatter parties, and communal Friday tidy day.

sorted.........

cecily

Posted Mon Feb 9th, 2009 4:31pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
just get to know the housekeepers/keyholders and have Mon to Thurs squatter parties, and communal Friday tidy day.

sorted.........

If only!

Maxx England

Posted Tue Feb 10th, 2009 1:38pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
Just you want until the UFLs have had enough of scraping their cars on the walls on either side of the coast road. It probably explains the phenomenon of arty tearooms popping up though. And do you have restaurants offering such modern delicacies as fried giraffe afterbirth floating in rennet?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

cecily

Posted Wed Feb 11th, 2009 11:36pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
Today I envisaged the 4x4's driving through Stiffkey (pronounced Stukey) with those quaint flint walls on each side of the road, heaven forbid another vehicle came the other way, well I didn't envisage it I was fortunately driving through Stiffkey and had a silent laugh at the problem the UFL's may encounter with having no road markings and having to give way constantly on their journey through our beautiful North Norfolk coastal villages. Still I am sure they must appreciate how wonderful this part of the UK is, even after all this time I still love travelling along the coast road, rain or shine, or even a flurry of snow, just love it!

Maxx England

Posted Thu Feb 12th, 2009 12:48pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
Most of you won't know the road, it's narrow at the best of times, and you get people who think they're entitled to all of it coming in theopposite cirection. Often driving a Merc. From memory, even the Germans called it "the car with built in priority".

PamJH

Posted Fri Feb 13th, 2009 5:42pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
Here's what I'll do when I hit the lottery. I'll buy a cottage (I'll be an OFA - over from America) and use it for 3-4 weeks out of the year. Then I'll arrange for you to use it for squatter parties as long as you promise to feed the fish.

Seriously, that is annoying. Northern Michigan communities complained about the same thing some years ago. People bought the cottages for summer weekend use, but come winter, the communities would be ghost towns. Then the visitors would wonder why the communities had no stores, gas stations, etc.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Feb 13th, 2009 5:44pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
And if somebody wanted to start a new business, they complained about it spoiling the area?

naturalbeauty

Posted Fri Feb 13th, 2009 9:28pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
Pardon me....not all southerners have two homes and this one although married to a Jock would never ever have a second home up North....
Its cold, miserable and the accent drives me mad......when we visit relations
we spend money locally.......sorry but i hate the place....

PamJH

Posted Fri Feb 13th, 2009 9:57pm Post subject: UFL's (Up from London)
And if somebody wanted to start a new business, they complained about it spoiling the area?

Michiganders are OK with it as long as it's a bar.