Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Quantum Mechanic

Posted Sun Feb 22nd, 2009 9:29pm Post subject: Unintentional destruction
Now, I'm not a very experienced writer (being the ridiculously young person that I am), so go light on me.

Though truthfullness would be nice.

At first I thought I was writing about 9/11... but half way through I discovered it was archaeology. There you go I guess...

Suppose I’ll wait until the time comes, when the crumbling tower falls,
Down in the city
Each stone at last in its final resting place,
Until some years later the twisted masses come,
They dig down, deep through the ground until each worthless rock succumbs,
To the weary, constant gaze of curiosity.

Then humanity ships it away, over seas and through the days.
That tower that once stood tall,
That then did fall,
Is now parted forever, each piece of it dead,
Every city holds a shred.
The once gifted earth that held its place
now torn to pieces, by our over curious, human race.

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 23rd, 2009 4:23am Post subject: Unintentional destruction
That's the only bone I have to pick with museums, and since it's an inevitability, I can't really pick it. So the dog gets the bone.

Antiquities are usually divided in pieces and sold to the highest bidders. If we're lucky, the pieces land in public museums where we can get at least a glimpse of their glory days. If they land in private hands, well, that's the last we see of the item until the heirs sell it.

I suppose it's a small price to pay but look what happens when one museum gets hold of something great. A museum in Egypt (probably goes by some name like the Egyptian Museum and I'm too lazy to look it up) has many, many pieces from King Tut's tomb. Of course, King Tut comes from Egypt, but bear with me. Egypt allowed many of the pieces to go on tour a couple of years ago. Chicago's Field Museum was one of the hosts. I went twice to see these amazing treasures. Now, if they'd been spread all over the world, what would the chances have been of amassing all of them in one place for the public to see?

Obviously, I enjoyed your poem. I've never seen this issue written about in quite this way. Nice job.