Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 5:06pm Post subject: Universal Madness

What makes you think the whole world's gone insane?

I know the typical stuff: violence, abuse, etc. But what about the subtle stuff?

Very late last night I saw a drink ad on TV for Gatorade. The primary plug was that...and I still can't believe this is real somehow...

"...get all six collectible bottles now!".

They have pics of Michael Jordan on the label I think.

Um, aren't those bottles just clear plastic once the colored liquid's been drunk?

Plastic bottles...collectible? I mean, they're great for building play-bombs or knocking around with a bat or stomping on but...collectible plastic Gatorade bottles?

I'm sorry, but I'm really, really, really x 100 missing something.

And I'm not sure I want to find it. I'm even more scared for the folks who will run out and do as they're told. ( cue Twilight Zone music...)

Really? Wow.

Britannicus

Posted Fri Aug 7th, 2009 10:14pm Post subject: Universal Madness

Entertainment Tonight has me questioning the world's sanity. Endless coverage of Anna Nicole Smith's, and now Michael Jackson's deaths strikes me as voyeuristic and incredibly lowly. I don't understand how they get anything resembling a decent rating with that garbage. Makes me sick to my stomach every time I catch a glimpse of it after the local news has ended.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

joan

Posted Sat Aug 8th, 2009 7:53am Post subject: Universal Madness

You want to try Australian TV - utter crap, with more and longer invasive ad breaks than any other country. There are one or two reasonable programs on ABC (our BBC) but even they are thin on the ground. Our three commercial channels show sport sport sport, plus an odious amount of cooking and 'lifestyle programs, with various Big Brother' type programs. Very little is there for people with a functioning brain, so I was very pleased to see we are getting Stephen's America program soon.

As for all that Michael Jackson hype - thank goodness it has died down. I did have a bit of a laugh when my husband was in hospital just after Jackson's death. They had to put a glove on one hand to alleviate the swelling from multiple needles. The nurse said she was making him like Michael Jackson.
"What, dead???' I asked.

Nitro

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 4:03am Post subject: Universal Madness

Those do sound crappy. And Joan, ^5 on the comment you made. rofl!

I just have felt so stunned lately, in rapid succession, that it's my own sanity I wind up questioning. There's the inital thought of,"Uh...wait a minute here..." when I see the MJ hypocrisy wave or the precious plastic Gatorade bottles, but then just after and in the following moments I worry for my own. I have a hard time accepting it as reality, and am experiencing that more and more lately. Till I'm ready to curl up all fetal around my word processor in the dark and sleep by the light of the monitor [insert mr.green and crying icons].

Really? Wow.

Britannicus

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 7:22pm Post subject: Universal Madness

http://www.ksl.com Read the comments on the news stories. That will make you wonder what is wrong with the world. Or maybe just Utah.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Nitro

Posted Sun Aug 9th, 2009 9:26pm Post subject: Universal Madness

I'm going to go with it just being Utah. <<<<grin>>>>

j/k Brit...I have read comments on other stories but it only takes reading through a few, to move on and usually feeling disconcerted.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 2:33pm Post subject: Universal Madness

You know what drives me insane? There are droves of people who work very hard all day and night on producing legitimate newspapers that actually include news. News about local happenings, city council meetings, school board meetings, fires, court cases, arrests and even the Humane Society's Cat of the Week, which I have to tell you is a good way to get cats adopted.

But these publications are dying, one by one, because fewer and fewer people read them. The online and tabloid stories that get the most attention are sensationalized crap about celebrities. Newspapers that don't include this kind of information are pushed aside in favor of something that's a whole lot easier to read.

Because let's face it: It's a lot easier to read about Michael Jackson and some of the things he got up to than it is to delve into a piece about how the nation is going to find the money to improve its transportation system, or how the school board is going to close a school because the student population has declined. Many readers want what's easy. And that, I think, is because life is becoming more complicated by the day.

*rant over*

And it's too bad we have to dig around now to find out where new topics are posted. I missed this one at first.

Nitro

Posted Mon Aug 10th, 2009 11:43pm Post subject: Universal Madness

Pam, did you ever get a chance to check out that video on the TED site? Erm.. by 'that video' I mean the talk about how a graphics artist in HerzeCzekslaIforgetsky country increased readership by altering how newspapers look? I think it's a new talk, if that helps any search you might do.

But, everything I hear when I bother listening is that the newspaper business of old is D-E-A-D. The funeral is over and the mourners moved on. A few sentimentalists are not likely to change that. I mean, I love the *feel* of a newspaper being a seperate, phsyical experience but I know that if anyone shares this feeling it probably won't matter to the entire industry.

We still have the local paper printed here. I would rather think that it's NOT going to die. That maybe it will morph or change, but not die. I don't like the idea at all. I want to be able to drop some change, hear it clink around, and wonder if the door will open so I can grab a paper. Usually it does. It's kind of like getting a gumball, but with more stuff. Typing on a keyboard isn't nearly as exciting.

But the Business Herd who drive Everything seem to generally think,"It's over. There's no competing with the ~WWW~." ( NOTE: wow, is 'www' a censored word too?!! It didn't show when I first posted...krayyyy zeeee are things here ).

Maybe one day the herd will contract a disease whose symptoms can only be relieved by touching newspaper.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 5:50am Post subject: Universal Madness

Newspapers that are made of actual paper will die, probably within the next decade. The only ones that will survive are the shoppers, the weekly papers that are filled with ads and news releases and the occasional story that could be called news, such as the reporting of a city council meeting.

But as newspapers die and the online news sites proliferate, I find it curious that many people are more ill-informed than they ever were. Perhaps this online news glut is too overwhelming and now people actually believe that no news is really the best news.

I'll have to look for that video.

Maxx England

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 11:44am Post subject: Universal Madness

We have Serious newspapers here, and it strikes me that they are mostly right of centre, the Daily Mail being the worst of them, written as it is by one eyed (not very crypto) crypto fascists. They will survive.

The left wing/liberal stance is down to the Guardian, known to many as the Grauniad due to it's abysmal proof reading and spelling. It too willsurvive as a functioning newspaper. The "common man's" left wing paper, the Daily Mirror is descending into ever more inanity as it competes with the biggest selling English language publication in the world. The Sun. Owned by Rupie Murdoch.

Real news takes secong place in the Sun and Mirror now to the gutter antics of publicity hyped figures (celebrity is utterly inappropriate, how can you possibly celebrate them?).

These will transform ever more into daily scandal sheets.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

PamJH

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 5:48pm Post subject: Universal Madness

Maxx England said:
We have Serious newspapers here, and it strikes me that they are mostly right of centre, the Daily Mail being the worst of them, written as it is by one eyed (not very crypto) crypto fascists. They will survive.

The left wing/liberal stance is down to the Guardian, known to many as the Grauniad due to it's abysmal proof reading and spelling. It too willsurvive as a functioning newspaper. The "common man's" left wing paper, the Daily Mirror is descending into ever more inanity as it competes with the biggest selling English language publication in the world. The Sun. Owned by Rupie Murdoch.

Real news takes secong place in the Sun and Mirror now to the gutter antics of publicity hyped figures (celebrity is utterly inappropriate, how can you possibly celebrate them?).

These will transform ever more into daily scandal sheets.

Perhaps they should hire me to copy edit. I'm quite good at it.

Nitro

Posted Wed Aug 19th, 2009 8:52pm Post subject: Universal Madness

Ruport Murdoch is a twisted, disgusting sort of creature who has, IMHO, helped destroy even the idea of 'credibility' in reporting.

Really? Wow.